Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Runnerists – do you carry a mobile?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

On the bike I’ve always carried a phone, just because it’s easy to carry in a cycle jersey or pack. I use a Garmin for recording the ride.

Running I currently wear an arm band thing with the phone in. It is there for ’emergencies’ and to record the run for strava. It’s ok but not hugely comfortable, and certainly would be seen of being very amateurish at the local running club

The type of running I do might be up to 10 miles where I might not see another person, so I do like the security of the phone.

What do other runners do?

Kuco

Don’t bother with a phone but do wear an road id.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve found the arm bands uncomfortable too and the pockets in my running gear too small so don’t bother carrying my phone now instead just use my watch and iPod Shuffle. I’d like to be able to carry my phone on my lower forearm without it moving about.

surfer
    Free Member

Only ever carry a phone on the rare occasions my run takes me onto the Fells and I am going to be out for several hours. Carry one in a bumbag.

For a run on the road, paths etc why the hell do you need a phone?

mrsfry
    Free Member

I have a phone only because i like the audible books. Use Garmin for recording my bits

andysredmini
    Free Member

I use a running bum bag from sports direct. I always used to put my phone in my pocket but it swung around and I ran funny to compensate. I tried a mates and bought one straight after. I can only run at night and take it off before putting anything in or taking anything out. I certainly never swing it round to my front and rifle through for a key. That would make it like a proper bumbag.

richmars

Never, just a watch to time it (or record it), and I used to do 10 mile runs in fairly remote locations.

scotroutes

For running, my phone is my GPS, music player and (sometimes )audio coach. It’s a Z1 Compact so not as massive as some others and is easily carried in a pocket.

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Take my old phone with a pay-as-you-go sim in it that only my wife has the number. It’s small enough to go in the little back pocket on my tights.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry should have said, all running is off road, up to 10 miles away from human life!

molgrips
    Free Member

Various solutions:

Spi belt
    Stick on pouch type thing
    Flip belt (from up and running)

nickc

same as surfer

jb72
    Free Member

Phone in Quadlock case and arm band. Always have it for Runkeeper and music.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Use Garmin for recording my bits

You have a Garmin with a camera? Fancy!

Matt_SS_xc

Only when on dartmoor, and then bumbag is the way to go.

Stainypants

For runs less than 1 1/2 hours smart watch for Strava and music. Feel so much better than lugging the phone around.

For long rus where I have a backpack for water / gels or remote runs in the hills with more gear I take the phone to record the run and play music and take photos. Use the watch control it all works a treat.

djglover
    Free Member

I tend to take a phone on the high fells if I am running alone. On the local moors, I tend not to bother and just take a jacket. Sometimes I am quite remote so what I would do with a broken ankle I’m not sure. However people managed in the 90s and there wasn’t an epidemic of fell runners dying of hypothermia so might be OK

molgrips
    Free Member

However people managed in the 90s and there wasn’t an epidemic of fell runners dying of hypothermia so might be OK

IIRC it’s been shown that widespread mobile phone availability has saved lots of lives in the outdoors. Your logic is a bit flawed tbh.

djglover
    Free Member

fair enough, I stand corrected!

Cougar

Runkeeper FTW.

allfankledup

The mrs carries a phone when she runs. Motog fits into most pockets on running tights, otherwise a Nathan/spibelt type thing or it goes into her pack (ultra training)

Stainypants

I also bought this from decathlon to carry a small camera. Not tried it yet but should better than an arm bad but less bulky than a bum bag

ON the fell runners Facebook page there’s been one guy with frost bite on bleaklow and another post by a very experienced fell runner who ended up hyperthermic on a quick tea time run a few weeks ago. It easier than you think to end up in a bad way and not to be taken lightly.

Jolsa

I run with a Spibelt, which carries my phone and keys. Phone sits against the lower back and doesn’t move about, so would recommend the Spibelt over a bulkier bumbag.

Always like the idea of carrying a phone when trail running, once having to call an ambulance for a mountain biker who came off soon after passing me, breaking his collarbone. Not just for tracking my slow runs!

stox
    Free Member

Yes particularly for trail running to take photographs. I use a flip belt.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Ilkley moor runner, but don’t do more than 6 miles from dick’s, usually less. Normally carry it in my hand or in a pocket. Otherwise sometimes use one of those travel money belt type things it’s like a very small flat bumbag.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I use a belt pouch, actually one I got free in a goody bag at a race a few years back but I’ve seen similar on sale. Really light but works well. Pouch is small but stretchy so holds things firmly, no bounce. Don’t notice it at all when running. Also/instead use an armband if I want to listen to music or podcasts, but that’s only sometimes.

avdave2

I take mine but have never had a problem using an arm band, I don’t notice it at all when running. Most of the time though I’m running with my wingnut pack as I do most of my miles to work and back. Luckily I have an on road and an off road route for that.

Coyote
    Free Member

I carry a Nokia 520 in my hand. It runs Runtastic. It’s not much of a hardship weighing next to nothing.

botk
    Free Member

arm band – dont really notice it. hate road running so on trails so handy to have a phone ICE, plus love to have music, handy for strava too so i can see how slow its possible to run

sweepy
    Free Member

I fix mine to my helmet

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I didn’t bother taking one out until i rolled my ankle and it swelled up like a balloon and ended up not being able to walk. Luckily I was about 800m from home, however I struggled to
    Walk that far, and if I’d have been a mile or more away, I doubt I would have made it home, I’d have been reduced to trying to cadge a lift home as even if I’d borrowed a strangers phone, I don’t know my wife’s number.

Piss poor planning I know, but I bet there’s a few in the same boat.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Bought a tiny cheap payg phone from tesco for when i run(and cycle) away from other hoomans good 15 buck investment.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Bought one of these recently to put my sony Z3 compact in, and it has another pocket for the keys :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009NVZF5C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Seems to work well, doesn’t bounce and isn’t very noticable. Sits to the front of one hip with the fastener behind.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice, the Flip Belt looks like the a good alternative from the point of view I could get a gel etc in there for a longer run, although a bit pricy for a bit of fabric!

I have used a larger bum bag in the past on one run where I took a very small bivvy bag and cag, but I didn’t like how much it moved around.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

NO – I go for long runs to escape into the peace and quiet. Ditto riding

2tyred

Nah, just carry a key if I need one, otherwise nothing. The simplicity and emptiness of running (no music, no talking) is a big part of the attraction for me.

Pieface

I don’t carry a mobile unless I’m carrying other stuff – therefore runs under 90 minutes in fair weather. Otherwise I’ll take it with me as I’ve got otehr stuff anyway.

When I run home from work (all stuff carried to / from home on bike previous / next day) I have a slim bumbag from decathlon made from stretchy nylon that holds a phone, slim wallet and keys. It all just squeezes in.

When I carry more (gels / top / gloves / phone) i have one of many different bum bags.

I don’t listen to music but have tried the arm-bands and never liked them.

surfer
    Free Member

IIRC it’s been shown that widespread mobile phone availability has saved lots of lives in the outdoors. Your logic is a bit flawed tbh.

Define “been shown”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When I was younger, pre wife and child, I wouldn’t have even thought to take a mobile. However now I have responsibilities I do.

Tonight I am going for a run after work. Although a short run, 5-6 miles. I wont see another human all the way round, and even carrying a whistle, no one would hear it as there is no one about for miles.

hels
    Free Member

Only if I am going offroad – in case I snap an ankle.

On-road I stick to populated areas so somebody would be around to help me if the worst happened.

I don’t stop to answer it if somebody calls ! Neither do I check my emails…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Runnerists – do you carry a mobile?’ is closed to new replies.