Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Run Slow To Run Fast
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to run twice a week fairly consistently. I was hoping for improvements, but whilst I got quicker it never really got easier or more enjoyable.

Everyone is different, but if I only run twice a week, I’ll struggle tbh, I need to be running much more often.

I’ll run best when I run 6 days a week.

thecaptain
    Free Member

You certain don’t need much leg speed or any sort of speed to do 20 min 5k. I am regularly slaughtered in my club interval sessions but can cruise a 5k around 18-19 mins when fit. And can do a marathon not much slower when really fit! Which the 1 min speed merchants can’t manage.

Long steady distance is the answer and note that the meanings of long and steady are generally shorter and harder than a bike ride would be. You don’t get to freewheel or roll downhill at negligible effort! Sure, one interval session a week won’t do any harm.

surfer
    Free Member

can do a marathon not much slower when really fit!

2:37 ish for a marathon is not too shabby off steady running. Well done.

molgrips
    Free Member

Everyone is different, but if I only run twice a week, I’ll struggle tbh, I need to be running much more often.

It takes me two days to recover from a 5k and three if I do 10k on pavements. Not a problem if I run off-road though. There’s no way I can run 6 days a week without degenerating to shuffling, which I absolutely hate and I can’t imagine it has any benefit. Biomechanically it’s not even the same activity.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I didn’t say no slower, I said not much slower 🙂

2:47:15 to be precise, which consisted of 7 back to back sub-20 5ks and then a bit of a slow down. Unfortunately as I was hoping for 2:45. But yeah, basically off steady running with some threshold efforts and an attempt at weekly intervals with the club (but I’m terrible at them). I’ve never managed to go under 18 for a 5k and probably never will at my age.

It took me about 10y of gradually increasing mileage to get to where I got. I was never much of a runner when younger and it took a while before I started to really enjoy it. Learning how to run at a comfortable steady pace, keeping decent form while remaining at low effort, was key. Too much focus on hard efforts is just painful and demotivating (IME).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It takes me two days to recover from a 5k and three if I do 10k on pavements. Not a problem if I run off-road though. There’s no way I can run 6 days a week without degenerating to shuffling, which I absolutely hate and I can’t imagine it has any benefit. Biomechanically it’s not even the same activity.

hence why I said…

Everyone is different

I was the same with football, play once a week, I’d be sore for days, play 4 or 5, no probs.

loum
    Free Member

Mg,
    Recovery time can be slow to adapt when starting out running , or coming back after a while.
    There’s absolutely no probs with giving your body time to recover before your next run.
    Do 5k , and have a couple of days off then do another. And keep going. Just give it some consistency for a few months and don’t go doubling the distance before your body’s really ready.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have done that. I got better, but it didn’t get much easier and I didn’t enjoy it much. And when you don’t enjoy it there comes a point where you ask yourself why you’re bothering.

I’m currently riding for a Zwift team twice a week, I want to do at least one longer ride at the weekend, so that only really leaves room for two runs. So that’s what I’ll do and whatever happens happens. One run will probably be off road the other will be a couple of 800m intervals.

surfer
    Free Member

basically off steady running with some threshold efforts and an attempt at weekly intervals

What you are describing is 2 types of interval work. I suggested that this type of work is required to improve running speed and not just slow running.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Just seen and seems relevant. Though surprising he seems to be credited with discovering this, when it was well known ages ago. Maybe he was a particularly good publiciser of the idea, and/or maybe the USA was a bit primitive when it comes to distance events.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Run Slow To Run Fast’ is closed to new replies.