Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Run in with local gamekeeper.. And scottish access laws
  • tjagain

Morecash – there have been issues with roadside camping which while not a part of the land reform act has always been tolerated in Scotland. We now have bylaws in some areas restricting roadside camping because of neds partying and making a mess and the next coming battle is over campervans blocking roads and their users shitting in laybys.

There have been one or two battles with landowners over access – archerfield is one where there has been a lot of debate – eventually the John Muir way was allowed thru the estate but they built a huge fence along the shoreline with no gates in it to restrict access.

Some of the shooting estates try to restrict access more than they are allowed to but this is rare.

there is also occasional issues with people buying estates not realising that they have no option but to allow access and attempting to stop folk by claiming the whole estate as a garden so no access

By and large tho there is simply very little issue with land access.

v8ninety

So let me get this straight; they want you to not disturb the Non native, batch farmed birds that they will then be allowing people to shoot for fun later on?

Ffs.

Houns

Why do you think they kill birds of prey too?

franksinatra

Why do you think they kill birds of prey too?

Oh, that’s not true. It’s just a conspiracy made up by Chris Packham and RSPB. The birds just all died naturally and gps trackers are cruel anyway. Gamekeepers enhances the natural habitat and grouse moors are absolutely not barren lifeless single species habitats. And they make lots of money for the local economy. You are clearly just a city person who doesn’t understand the countryside 😉

richmtb

There were hundreds of birds and he had an issue with me disturbing them,

They are going to be chased into the sky by beaters, so a bunch of half cut toffs can blast them out of the sky with a shotgun.

I don’t think you pootling passed on your pushbike really counts as a “disturbance” in comparison

Houns

Heh!

I must say that every gamekeeper/Hunter type I’ve had the misfortune of interacting with have been absolute bullies

tjagain

Houns – I have met some really nice and helpful ones – and as above when I accidentally rode right thru a shoot they were really polite about asking me to stop ruining their fun.

I also have had a couple of interactions with the gamekeeper on a deer shooting estate who told me about an otter along the shoreline to watch and who told us the best places to spot the sea eagles

they are not all aresholes – but the aresholes get noticed. I think there is a generational change slowing coming thru

tpbiker
    Free Member

I must say that every gamekeeper/Hunter type I’ve had the misfortune of interacting with have been absolute bullies

That would be a good word to describe the guy. Asked me reasonably nicely at first but as soon as I told him I had a right to be there he started getting aegressive. And when that tactic didn’t work he then resorted to trying to intimidate me with his quad.

Basically sounds like I was in the right here, I have no reason to not be on that land. As such I’ll be contacting the police and the council today.

piemonster

Report to Fife Safer Communities and request the form be emailed to you.

Also, call the Police first and ask for an incident number if you can get one.

tjagain

go pro for the next time you go there?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Report to Fife Safer Communities and request the form be emailed to you.

Also, call the Police first and ask for an incident number if you can get one.

Are fife safer communities run by the police or council?

No go pro I’m afraid…otherwise good idea. Although that would probably be like waving a red rag to a bull.

franksinatra

In my local authority area we have a senior countryside ranger/Outdoor Access Officer. He was spot on and I suggest you find out if fife have an equivalent

scuttler

I don’t think you pootling passed on your pushbike really counts as a “disturbance” in comparison

It’s a disturbance because bike-dood not wearing a shirt and tie, nor be paying a grand a day for the privilege (includes chips n drinks).

scandal42
    Free Member

Imagine thinking that Grouse shooting is fun.

Poor bastards

piemonster

Are fife safer communities run by the police or council?

Council although they work with the Police to some degree.

It’s just an online form, takes two minutes and they will be interested in this behaviour. Makes a difference to dealing with kids setting fire to schools I suppose.

Like the Police they may well make a visit and have a word.

As mentioned above, contact the access officer too at outdooraccess@fife.gov.uk

piemonster

It’s a disturbance because bike-dood not wearing a shirt and tie, nor be paying a grand a day for the privilege (includes chips n drinks).

Whats the betting that going through on a butchers bike wearing Tweed would be fine?

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks TJ

dyna-ti

Really need to report it, but you’ll need to be honest and include your colorful retorts,but it will likely be put down to joint effort, he’s angry and in any court scenario he’ll be claiming about nesting birds and I dont think you can really claim other.
    Driving the vehicle at you is the crux of it as thats extremely dangerous, and there was no reason for him to drive past you, turn around and drive back other than the intention to aim his vehicle at you in a threatening manner. It would be very easy to clip you accidentally resulting in broken bones, or later to other riders if let away with it. At the very least a warning by the police is merited there as it puts the behaviour in report, and that should dissuade him from doing it again.

If anyone knows the quarry at Dumbarton, I once rode into that from the North one weekend. A bit of a journey to get there and theres a number of bore holes about the place you dont want to ride into. Plus a quarry is a great place to ride, but not a working one as thats really dumb, even shut theres a chance of getting killed by something working the weekend. Pretty much realized the predicament id gotten myself into and jesus the mud is really deep. Sod a big truck coming over the hill all of a sudden like.
    But I got out and security saw went after me, and after a short chase caught up at the main gated entry. Short chase at about 40mph down a concrete slope 😆
    Young guy starts shouting about cyclists coming onto the quarry, about how dangerous it is, etc had been warned before etc, and he could take my bike off me./ I asked him to try it, he said he’d set the dogs on me, dogs in his security van. I told him I could get to him before he got to the van So expletive expletive open the expletive gate.

I can understand them taking action if it is shooting season, though this isn’t trigger happy USA and chances of actually being shot by stalkers is rather slim, but nesting birds are everywhere, and like everything riding past them, we arent disturbing them. In fact having danger near, passing by etc is part of nature, and from the birds point of view we are just that unknown. So a bike isnt going to cause any harm to anything.
    Shame you didnt have a mounted cam.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I had the same a few years ago on The Moresdale Road above Arkengarthdale. Richard Cranium the gamekeeper blocked the track (bridleway) & told me to ‘get off the road’. I mentioned that I was entitled to be on it seeing as it was a BW, he then questioned me on who maintained it, which as you can imagine, threw me a bit. We rabbited on a bit then he went into a flat spin (mustv’e been the annoying grin on my face) & started calling me names such as ‘a little fat 4 eyed see you next tuesday’. (I am short & cuddly but that’s not the point) Anyway one way or another we bade our farewell but when I got home I called a mate who’s a police sergeant & he said to report him as what he said was a public order offence. So I did.
    The Richmond police were pretty good & went to have a word with him & reported back to me to that effect.

So yes, inform the police.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Coppers coming round first thing Monday to have a chat with me. Hopefully they’ll give him a visit and he may think twice about being such a dick in future

piemonster

Keep us posted, I’ve mentioned it to someone actively involved with access and core paths locally too

didnthurt

Most times I’ve been challenged about my access to lands in Scotland have been by people with English accents, it’s like they don’t know that they are in a different country which had different laws.

One time it was near Duns (can’t remember exactly where) and I was following a right of way. Next time I came through there (about a year or two later), the path had been rerouted right around a house and it’s gardens, fair enough I suppose.

Report them, can’t do any harm.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Similarly, but not English accents, more from toffs. Never really had any issues with gameys or ghillies, but landowners pretty much every time I’ve came across them.

These occasions have been less frequent in recent years, but I’m sure covid will give some of them an excuse to be ****.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Its situations like this where i wish i was 6ft 4 and hard as f***. It would make standing up to bullies and not having to put up with other peoples s*** much more enjoyable.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Gamekeepers enhances the natural habitat and grouse moors are absolutely not barren lifeless single species habitats. And they make lots of money for the local economy. You are clearly just a city person who doesn’t understand the countryside

I read somewhere there are public subsidies available!

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Run in with local gamekeeper.. And scottish access laws’ is closed to new replies.