Run in with a bus driver – but this time I want to do something about it

Home Forum Bike Forum Run in with a bus driver – but this time I want to do something about it

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Run in with a bus driver – but this time I want to do something about it
  • Karinofnine

Actually, I wasn't on edge. I have just finished reading Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy, and am part way into The Feeling Good Handbook. When the bus pulled out on me I was thinking "Am I committing one of the 10 cognitive distortions?" and trying to be extra-specially laid back and mellow (not making "should" statements).

The driver is a professional driver. He may have made a mistake. We all do on the roads (including me). He had a chance to apologise, explain, be humble or whatever, but instead he chose to sneer and drive his bus into me so as to force me into the next lane of traffic. That wasn't a mistake. Nor was it an overreaction on my part.

Further up the road he passed me and cut straight back in on the way past, not after he passed, I had to brake to avoid being squashed. That was also deliberate – not an accident or error – deliberate, and unacceptable.

jwt

Not quite the same thing but………….Going through my mother in laws's personnal effects to sort out her estate, my wife found a very contrite letter from the local bus company, appolgising for the behaviour of one of their drivers she had made a complaint against, I do believe they take these things seriously, worth putting pen to paper for………

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I wonder what "pulled out" means? They were at a bus stop and "pulled out" back into the road or "pulled out" of a junction? If the former, provided they are signaling aren't they allowed to do that (or to put it the other way aren't other road users meant to slow down to allow them out)? Obviously not meant to squash people in the process!

Sounds like a bit of an over reaction on your part to be honest – you were not hit and don't even mention having to take radical avoiding action/ slamming on brakes etc. If I had committed a minor error of judgment(we all make them every now and again and those that claim they don't I suspect are just deluded and probably the most dangerous) on the road and some loon started swearing at me like that I'd probably be a bit wary/peeved with you too.

druidh

Nor was it an overreaction on my part.

I caught it at the next lights and rode up the side, banged on the bus, in order to exchange pleasantries with the driver. I believe I may have called him a c**t,

Only one of the above statements is correct

Premier Icon piedi di formaggio
    Subscriber

Have you all ridden a bike in London traffic and experienced the bad drivers that seem to be a significant factor? If you have, then you can make an informed comment.

I've called London Bus drivers c***s before and felt justified in doing so. When they pull alongside you, make eye contact and then steer their bus in towards you forcing you to stop / take avoiding action, they they can expect a reaction.

its not big and its not clever but the only time I've had any "justice" from being hit by buses is when I've punched the driver, police and bus companies couldnt give a shit.

Jenga

DezB – Member

Why should we totally believe what we've been told

Because thats what someone posted on the forum. Why would they make it up or change the facts? just for a reaction? Or is that just what you're doing?

Nor was it an overreaction on my part.

I caught it at the next lights and rode up the side, banged on the bus, in order to exchange pleasantries with the driver. I believe I may have called him a c**t,

Only one of the above statements is correct

Only one of the above statements is correct.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Jenga & onion are right
    Jenga & onion are smartarses.

Only one of the above statements is correct.

Jenga

DezB holds definite opinions on unproven facts.
    DezB holds definite opinions on unproven facts.

Only one of these statements is correct.

mattp

i don't need to add any balance to this conversation as i think that it comes across above. i have to drive in to london 3 or 4 times a week and have done so for the last ten years or so and have found the bike traffic increase massively with schemes like ride to work and people generally wanting to find alternate ways of getting aroiund that are cheaper/greener/more convenient etc. as a "civilian cyclist" i.e. someone who cycles as a hobby, social activity and way of keeping my 40 year old ass fit, i allways try to give other road users room. this is sometimes difficult particularly in "the city" in the early morning and late afternoon as there are so many cyclists on the road.

this is compunded by the many different levels of ability/speed/agression of the cyclists that i see and this is particularly obvious when you mix inexperience with the couriers and regular cycle commuters. with regard to the OP please remember that you share the road with people that are aggressive, distracted, late, self righteous as well as cautious, caring and polite but in the case of cyclists most of them "drive" bigger vehicles than you. i can confirm from very painful experience that a tangle with anything bigger than your self can leave a lasting impression.

be cautious because you can get hurt and be polite, not with the expectation of a returned favour but because that's the way grown ups should be….

**puts away soapbox**

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Cheesyfeet – very true. Experience of urban riding but not in London. My experience of that London and Londoners (inc my own sister these days sadly) is that they they are the most self centered and ignorant gobshites I've met – and I've been to South Africa! How can 7 million odd people live on top of each other like that day-in day-out and be so horrible to each other and actually want to stay there? Takes all sorts I guess.

project

Accidents do happen and getting abusive and threatening doesnt help,just write to the bus company,and explain the rest is up to them.

If it get serious just come up behind the bus and there should be a hatch to lift up, this sometimes stops the engine, there is also a large button or lever to pull that says engine stop, pull or ress this and the bus stops.

Bewst not to park a porche on a yellow line a t a bus stop.

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

Glad you are alright, had a few near misses myself over the years.

Worth writing to bus company but police will not help.

From work I cannot link blogs etc but search on thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com and look for a loooonnnng blog in November about cyclists / vehicle accidents.

If he had killed you he would be out back on the roads next Christmas so for alarming a 'poor little girly' he won't have any action taken against him

cynic-al

ton – Member
    Al, if you take liberties in life, be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Like a sentence for assault?

Oh well at least you're a real-life hard-man, unlike these internet-only muppets.

Jenga

ton's had one of those hasn't he?

csb

Copy any complaint you have into the Traffic Commissioner for your area. Make sure the MD of the bus company knows you've done this.

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

cynic-al – Member

ton – Member
    Al, if you take liberties in life, be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Oh well at least you're a real-life hard-man, unlike these internet-only muppets.

i did take liberties when i was younger al……….and i paid for it.
    life is like that i think.
    you do a wrong, it usually cost's you…sometimes your freedom, sometimes a bit of grief.

cynic-al

So you admit (by implication):

you did something criminal to stop the driver driving?
    if you had then been punished for same (by implication you have not) you would have sucked it up?

Premier Icon ton
    Subscriber

al, yes i did, and yes i would.
    and i am not kidding……..if you do something wrong, be prepared to suffer or reap the consequenses.

cynic-al

Fair enough. Straight and narrow my preference (so far).

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Run in with a bus driver – but this time I want to do something about it’ is closed to new replies.