Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Run in with a bus driver – but this time I want to do something about it
  • Karinofnine

A double decker bus pulled out on me on my way home. I caught it at the next lights and rode up the side, banged on the bus, in order to exchange pleasantries with the driver. I believe I may have called him a c**t, which admittedly isn't the best opener for a civilised conversation. I asked him for his badge number, his response was to sneer and (the traffic had started moving by now) pull out of his lane deliberately to push me into the other lane of traffic. I stopped ahead of him at some lights and took his photo, but he put his lights on main beam so it dazzled my camera. He had to stop on at a bus stop with loads of people so I managed to get a shot of him. Further up the road he passed me and cut in on top of me, which would have forced me into the parked cars had I not stopped. After that I pulled in for a bit until he was well gone.

I am really pissed off about it. I give way to buses when I can (even though the mannerless tw*ts never thank me) and I do understand they have a difficult job to do. However I don't appreciate being threatened in that manner, when the odds are so overwhelmingly in his favour. What can I do? Tell the police? Transport police?

Metroline bus, route 263, going north up the A1000

Sandwich

Letter to bus company and report to the local police.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

report to the bus company – I have done this a couple of times and they took it seriously.

I don't see much point in the police – no injury or damage and its your word against his.

ton

i had a run in with a bus driver a couple of years ago.
    he knocked me off, i chased him, he had to stop to pick people up.
    he did not drive his bus for the rest of that day………. 😉

Suggsey
    Free Member

Yep bus company as first point of call. Unfortunately your opening gambit may have inflamed the situation/drivers response perhaps. Having said that we have all been there and the old red mist descends the opening gambit is normally not suitable to be typed without other parts of font being inserted.

Karinofnine

TJ – they did take it seriously did they? I'll find out which garage that bus runs out of and get in touch. I do a lot of commuting and occasionally fall out with other road users, but this was different, and, as posted, I actually stopped my journey to give the bus time to get well ahead and away from me.

DezB
    Free Member

Hope you get a result from reporting it. Eg. the tosser loses his job

druidh
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    A double decker bus pulled out on me on my way home. I caught it at the next lights and rode up the side, banged on the bus

That was your first mistake. If you were driving a car, we'd be calling that "road rage".

toys19
    Free Member

You need witnesses.

I got hit by a bus (in my car) last year. I was dazed and confused, whilst the bus driver moved the bus out of its dodgy accident causing positon, then started taking photos, and then having a go at me. I was just in shock. Anyway luckily for me to army officers were in the car behind the bus and were just quietly waiting for the bus driver to go away. One came over to my car an handed me a piece of paper with their names, addresses, rank and number on. It turns out they had seen everything, videoed using the their fone cams the driver moving the bus and then taking fotos and he had crossed the white line by about 4 ft which is why he hit me. I got insurance for my car and £2800 for my injuries. Apparently driver lost his job as he put in statement which was contrary to the army officers and their video and contrary to 6 passengers who took it upon themselves to write to Stagecoach and tell them what happened.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hi K,

Sorry to hear of your run in. Unfortunately i doubt if you'll get far unless you have vehicle markings (reg No or fleet No).

From experience (collegues not mine) the best passive form of attack is to wait until the vehicle is stopped in traffic and then fold in both of its mirrors (nearside mirror is a bitch for the driver to reset) as the driver can't move off until they are reset.

If you feel your grievance is worthy i'd alight the vehicle, pull the emergency stop and wait for the police to attend (i've done this before whilst at work as bus driver treated me like shite – unfortunately for him a passing PCSO stopped a passing Police Officer who stopped a passing Police traffic unit – he changed his tune then!) but this is the extreme end of the spectrum.

You'll never win an argument with a fool, take a deep breath, and move on.

M

😉

Taff
    Free Member

I wouldn't want him to lose his job given the current climate but suspension would serve him right. There are a few dodgy bus drivers around here and think they need to be taught a lesson

zaskar
    Free Member

Bus driver hit my Dad sending him flying twenty feet clipping his shoulder while walking on pavement the bus mounted the curb.

My Dad asked what he was thinking and he called my Dad an idiot and shut the doors and drove off. Police around the corner didn't do anything.

I was a kid and but if it was me now I would kicked his face in for nearly killing my Dad.

carlphillips
    Free Member

time and place of incident should give you the correct driver.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

press the big red button on the back of the bus that normally pisses them off 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My experience they certainly seemed to take it seriously howecver I have no proof that they did – just a couple of phone calls.

ivebrokenit
    Free Member

I had a very similar experience on the 263 route , coming South. A not in service Bus accelerated at me as I joined the carridgeway, causing me to swerve off it again. Driver was small, aggressive , very abusive etc etc.

I am afraid the fact is that where in the past all such folk were good public servants, in today's World, any sign of manners (and that includes basic road safety) is seen as a sign of weakness among many such types.

aracer
    Free Member

I wouldn't want him to lose his job given the current climate

Why on earth not? Sounds like exactly the sort of person you don't want to be driving a big dangerous vehicle around the roads, and I'm sure there's somebody just as deserving currently sitting on the dole who'd be very happy to get a job driving buses (and might actually be a considerate driver).

Bez

the best passive form of attack is to wait until the vehicle is stopped in traffic and then fold in both of its mirrors as the driver can't move off until they are reset.

Both mirrors? Good luck with that one. I'm sure once Johnny Motorist notices you folding one of them in he'll happily let you do the other. Not to mention the fact that drivers can actually move off with folded mirrors. What with the big glass things all around the car and that.

cinnamon_girl

Karin – I understand that buses have cameras in their cabs, certainly in the West London area. On this good authority also, drivers can apparently get a ticking off for berming a corner a bit quick like.

Persue it and hope you're not too shaken up.

timc
    Free Member

drama queen

martinxyz
    Free Member

when i first passed my cbt i had L plates on the motorbike and a bus pulled out on me in Aviemore as i was approaching the tescos crossing.i was just about to pass the tail of the bus as it started to pull out and i carried on.. he carried on too and the car heading south on the other lane had to stop. I waved to the driver of the car and he waved back but the bus kept pulling out. I reported him as he was looking in his mirror if i remember.. and still pulled out on me.
    I got an email months later saying sorry etc and that they will look into it.

I wasnt scared,it all happened slow and i was next to the bus so didnt feel threatened but some new riders out there might have panicked and fallen off into the oncoming car.

Coyote
    Free Member

I live in the St. Helens area and I can confirm that the vast majority of Arriva bus drivers are latent serial killers with a preference for the blood of cyclists. There are some good guys but they are *very* thin on the ground.

You need to hunt him down, cut off his face and place in a shallow grave. It's all they understand.

allyharp

Am I the only one who thinks the OP has overreacted, given that nobody was hurt?

What if somebody tried to get you prosecuted for every single mistake you made whilst driving your car?

theotherjonv

Am I the only one who thinks the OP has overreacted, given that nobody was hurt?

While the OP has overreacted to being pulled out on maybe (it happens), and also maybe hasn't approached the matter in the best way…..

his response was to sneer and (the traffic had started moving by now) pull out of his lane deliberately to push me into the other lane of traffic.

It's at this point that a professional driver, with a responsibility for a large bus, passengers and other road users crosses the line and then definitely it becomes a matter worth pursuing.

el_creedo
    Free Member

Karin – I have reported bus drivers several times in Leeds and Exeter, have always had a very positive response, even without number plates. So long as you have a number for the route, and a time/location they will work it out.
    In Exeter the bus company themselves ahve gained CCTV footage if available and taken statements – and this is only for near misses.
    Always make sure that when you complain to the bus company you let them know that if you have not heard from them within 24 hours you will approach the police and seek to press charges.
    Fortunately – most of the bus managers are very decent and well trained, unfortunately – a great deal of their employess are anything but.
    D
    PS – doesn't matter that you called him a c**t, I have told the managers in my complaints that I have done exactly that, and they have said they think it is reasonable given that my life had just been put in "great jeapordy" (!).
    Good luck.

hora
    Free Member

Report him asap- cyclists (and motorists) should do this automatically.

A professional driver having a bad day can have disastrous consequences for someone else).

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Here's a link to a post I did a while ago about a twuntish bus driver. has a copy of my complaint and replies as well.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/help-needed-making-a-complaint-about-a-london-bus-driver

Hope it helps. London bus driving is shocking at the moment and has lent itself well to the phrase 'How do you identify an advanced stop line? Look under a London bus at any traffic light'!

EDIT: Copy of the email complaining that I sent

Sirs,
    It is with the upmost disappointment that I find myself compelled to write to you to convey the shocking & illegal driving standards exhibited by a London bus driver this morning.

At approximately 07:15 this morning, I was cycling south along Old Broad Street. Ahead of me at the junction with London Wall and Wormwood Street, the traffic light was showing red, so I duly stopped at the white line on the left hand side of the road. At this time I was the only road user in this location. Shortly after I stopped, a single decker London Bus pulled up beside me and stopped. The bus felt like it was a bit close, but I was not unduly concerned at this time. Then, with the lights still showing red, the bus driver started moving forwards and slightly to the left, i.e. towards me (I was still stationary) and was indicating left. He then stopped the bus with approximately half the bus having been driven over the white stop line. At this time the traffic light was still showing red. When the lights changed to amber, the bus proceeded to move forward and turn left. I was left with no choice but to edge over to the left and wait for the bus to finish it's manoeuvre before I could proceed straight ahead to continue my route to work.

As you will be aware, there have been far too many needless fatalities on London's roads recently where large vehicles turn left and a cyclist is trapped. With this in mind, I am staggered that a professional driver working for TFL could commit such a dangerous and intimidating act. I would consider that the following driving offences have been committed:

CD20 – Driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users
    DD40 – Dangerous Driving
    TS10 – Failing to comply with traffic light signals

Please be assured that if I had any form of video evidence I would be reporting the driver to the Police regarding this matter.

I need not remind you that driving a motor vehicle is a privilege that has to be earned and is not a right. Furthermore, driving a public transport vehicle carries more responsibility.

As a regular cyclist in the city, I am highly aware of the dangers that cyclists face and support the actions to eliminate anti social cycling (running red lights, etc) and promote better understanding between all road users, which is why I am so incensed that a driver working for and therefore representing TFL can exhibit such aggressive, dangerous and anti social driving.

Although I would not wish to see anyone out of work, especially during these difficult economic times, I strongly feel that this individual should not be permitted to drive any form of public transport until he has at least been given advanced training and some form of test to evidence that he is a fit and proper person to drive such a vehicle.

The bus in question, was indicated as being on route 100 and had the number 8308 displayed on it.

I await your timely reply

Regards

cynic-al
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    report to the bus company – I have done this a couple of times and they took it seriously.

I don't see much point in the police – no injury or damage and its your word against his.

Former – I just got a patronising "apprpriate action has been taken but we can't tell you about that becuase of Data Protection" letter.

I'd go straight to the Rozzers and INSIST they investigate, even if they just end up asking the bus co to sort their drivers out and stop having their time wasted.

ton – Member
    i had a run in with a bus driver a couple of years ago.
    he knocked me off, i chased him, he had to stop to pick people up.
    he did not drive his bus for the rest of that day……….

Violence is so lovely, isn't it 🙄

Jenga
    Free Member

You don't think that you might just have been a bit "on edge" following what went on in your other post? Could it be that what was a relatively minor incident has been seen for more than what it was through some form of tension?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

cynic-al – I got the same response ultimately, but hopefully it went on his record, got a reprimand, etc.

ton

Al, if you take liberties in life, be prepared to deal with the consequences.

DezB
    Free Member

Did you read the post Jenga? Jeez, theres always someone who thinks its ok for drivers to act like ****.
    Well it isn't.

2hottie
    Free Member

Don't buses have cameras on them? I thought they have them pointing at the doors next to the cab, and inside looking at the passengers, which hopefully, as the bus was so close to you, I would assume that you are indeed on that camera! As well as this I think the buses have cameras pointing forwards looking at the oncoming traffic?

Bus company first and a call to the police to at least lodge a complaint..

Jenga
    Free Member

Did you read the post Jenga? Jeez, theres always someone who thinks its ok for drivers to act like ****.
    Well it isn't.

Yes, but we've only got one side of the story. Cyclists have been known to be in the wrong. Why should we totally believe what we've been told. Even in this state controlled society that we now live in the accused has a right to put their defence forward, and no-one is guilty until proven so. Things just might not be as we are told. Were you there?

DezB
    Free Member

Why should we totally believe what we've been told

Because thats what someone posted on the forum. Why would they make it up or change the facts? just for a reaction? Or is that just what you're doing?

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

bristol is far the worst place for bus drivers, arrogant, rude and dont know the highway code, always pull out when they dont have the right of way, I have had them come head on to me down my side of the road then beep their horn at me.. Every day I drive to school, nursery and work with at least 2-5 busses driving like idiots and never stop when they should!

worst was when my wife went to catch a bus 8 months pregnant, she gave the driver a £5 note, the cost was £4 he said change only, she said I dont have change and he told her to get off the bus ffs she was 8 months gone trying to pay for a bus ride… I paid him a visit the next day on his route 🙂

Jenga
    Free Member

If you read OP's other post you will see that she had what many would call a traumatic time yesterday. There is just a chance that she was somewhat tense, and maybe saw things differently to what she might have done on a different day. It could be said that her language and behaviour are signs of an aggressive approach to the incident. Maybe, as Talulah Bankhead used to say "There is less in this than meets the eye".

Are you saying that every post on here contains the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

5thElefant
    Free Member

We don't know the other side of the story but what we do know is…

When another driver makes a minor mistake a normal person, brakes and carries on, forgetting the whole thing. A bit of a **** might gesticulate a bit.

A lunatic chases them, calls them a ****, takes photos of them and then rants on the internet.

DezB
    Free Member

I must be a lunatic then. (Although I don't carry a camera on the commute)

Hey, karinofnine. Stop making stuff up on the forum, you lying lunatic.

druidh
    Free Member

5thElefant – Member
    We don't know the other side of the story but what we do know is…

When another driver makes a minor mistake a normal person, brakes and carries on, forgetting the whole thing. A bit of a **** might gesticulate a bit.

A lunatic chases them, calls them a ****, takes photos of them and then rants on the internet.

So say we all.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Run in with a bus driver – but this time I want to do something about it’ is closed to new replies.