Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Rumour VAT 20% ???
  • zaskar
    Free Member

I know they want to get rid of debt but not overnight?!

There goes the retail recovery!

Well done for voting Conservatives-bike bits will go up in price again…

Buy now and save a bit?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It was telegraphed well before the election.

Political rhetoric over the years and interventions from the Murdoch press have made income tax rises almost impossible – so consumption taxes are the only possible way to raise money – and more likely from the tories anyway as they affect the rich less than the poor.

Regressive and unfair – but it will happen.

bintangman
    Free Member

I think the question is when not if, from 22 June, 1 Jan or next tax year. i guess a separate question is whether retailers will bear the increase in their margins.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

I know they want to get rid of debt but not overnight?!
    There goes the retail recovery!
    Well done for voting Conservatives

🙄

Dear Chief Secretary. I’m afraid there is no money. Kind regards — and good luck! Liam.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/may/17/liam-byrne-note-successor

AlexBerry
    Free Member

Irrespective of your political persuasion it would be very difficult to argue that VAT was regressive, as it allows people to avid the tax by limiting spending, whereas income tax/NI gives Zero choice to avoid any tax. As for it having less effect on the rich, it has the same effect on everyone it's just that some people have more money than others…a fact that people don't like but is inevitable…….

carlosg
    Free Member

Vat at 20% won't get rid of debt overnight , it would only raise about 11 billion per year , maybe we should've kept Labour then they could've carried on borrowing money and increasing the debt!

markenduro
    Free Member

I very much doubt that retailers will absorb the cost of the increase like they absorbed the savings when it was 15%

bintangman
    Free Member

I think the regressive argument will be countered by increasing the personal allowances though – that and CGT increases

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Raising VAT is not the solution there is not much things VAT will not effect, its easy pickings they need to change osbourne with cable he has not got a clue. Someone please tell me what country has raised VAT recently in this downturn.

kimbers

its been expected for a while at least its only 20% for the moment!

do you think the cycle to work scheme will be axed too?

employees NI contributions to rise too

not employers though, which quite frankly i think is unfair, job tax my arse!

andytherocketeer

Someone please tell me what country has raised VAT recently in this downturn.

Erm the UK did… from 15% back to 17.5% 😉

consumption taxes are the only possible way to raise money – and more likely from the tories anyway as they affect the rich less than the poor

It's a well known fact that the rich buy less than the poor and pay less for services such as telecoms etc. than the poor.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Tax rises were going to happen whoever got in power….

It's just that some were up front about it than others….

( but only a little )

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

as it allows people to avoid the tax by limiting spending

Indeed. Poor people just shouldn't bother spending their money – if they can't afford the increase in VAT.

And with all that money they've saved by not spending it, they will soon become rich.

It all makes perfect sense, in fact, it sounds like basic Reaganomics to me.

As does the suggestion that "limiting spending" is a really good idea for an economy just coming out of recession.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I've always been a fan of VAT over income tax; easy to administer and hard to avoid paying. Combine that with a nice big personal allowance before income tax kicks in as seems likely things look sensible to me. Though it's all us middle income people who'll end up paying the most I'm sure.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Irrespective of your political persuasion it would be very difficult to argue that VAT was regressive, ……some people have more money than others…a fact that people don't like but is inevitable

[quote]

Will poor people pay a greater percentage of their earnings on VAT than rich people? I accept it is not designed as regressive but it will actually be regressive. Rich people save and invest and there is no VAT on that poor people have no savings or investments as an example.
    It is not inevitable that some people have more than others we choose to have an inequitous society. If we choose this when times are hard is it not fair that those with the broadest shoulders should bear the greatest burden ?

No surprise tbh.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Dunno about cycle to work – "green economy" and all that jazz.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Irrespective of the election result a rise in VAT is all but inevitable – and all three parties have hinted at it for some time – the real question is will it be an across the board rise or will it be variable and more sophisticated e.g. no Vat on food – but 20% on Helicopters (currently 0%) and say 15% on cycles and accessories (lives in hope)

uplink
    Free Member
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

it is regressive as the poorer folk spend a higher % of their income on things that attract vat. Also they have less discretionary spending – so cutting back affects them more

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Thing is, the regressiveness of VAT is largely cancelled out by the exceptions:

Food
    Children's clothes
    Books
    Etc.

Essential goods and many activities are VAT exempt, its (mainly) luxuries that are VATable – certainly compared with the alternative forms of indirect taxation its the lesser of a great many evils!

skiboy
    Free Member

😯

Junkyard
    Free Member

the regressiveness of VAT is largely cancelled out

yes so it regressive then thanks for agreeing

prettygreenparrot

VAT is an evil, indirect, tax. Its separation from income makes it a blight on the poor and an inconvenience for the rich.

Exemptions? It'll be interesting to see how these change.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Same as tax on tabs and booze really – bastids!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

its (mainly) luxuries that are VATable

No it isn't. Just about everything is "VATable" ……the big exception is food. And in 1985 the Tories slapped VAT on takeaway food. Well you couldn't have a situation where poor people weren't paying VAT on their chips – now could you ?

allthepies
    Free Member

>yes so it regressive then thanks for agreeing

You win on the internets!

anagallis_arvensis

it has the same effect on everyone it's just that some people have more money than others

genius, utter genius

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

its (mainly) luxuries that are VATable

No it isn't. Just about everything is "VATable" ……the big exception is food.

Beyond Food and a roof over our head, neither of which are subject to VAT, what else do we really, really need? 8)

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and a roof over our head

Glad you brought that up ratty.

In 1984 the Tories also slapped VAT on building alterations………..that Thatcher woman really was a bitch 😐

noteeth
    Free Member

what else do we really, really need?

Personally, I need a Paul Sadoff-built replica Bontrager Race.

MrNutt
    Free Member

jaffa cakes remain unaffected, panic over.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Beyond Food and a roof over our head, neither of which are subject to VAT, what else do we really, really need?

The VAT on fuel (and the VAT on fuel duty) puts the price of fuel up, which puts up the price of pretty much everything; food included.

The Government need to ditch the Bank of England. Stop borrowing money and print it for ourselves.

igm

Beyond Food and a roof over our head, neither of which are subject to VAT, what else do we really, really need?

XT

Junkyard
    Free Member

The Government need to ditch the Bank of England. Stop borrowing money and print it for ourselves

excellent plan Do you mind if I put you forward for the Noble prize for economics?
    someone else agrees with you

Three_Fish
    Free Member

excellent plan Do you mind if I put you forward for the Noble prize for economics?

I meant that the Government (ie. 'us') print it as opposed to borrowing from the Bank. I didn't mean that people start printing in their garage/cellar/shed/whatever.

hitman
    Free Member

I got to this post and then stopped reading!!:

Irrespective of your political persuasion it would be very difficult to argue that VAT was regressive, as it allows people to avid the tax by limiting spending, whereas income tax/NI gives Zero choice to avoid any tax. As for it having less effect on the rich, it has the same effect on everyone it's just that some people have more money than others…a fact that people don't like but is inevitable…….

and then couldn't avoid reading this gem just as I posted!!:

The VAT on fuel (and the VAT on fuel duty) puts the price of fuel up, which puts up the price of pretty much everything; food included.

The Government need to ditch the Bank of England. Stop borrowing money and print it for ourselves.

porterclough
    Free Member

I couldn't help noticing that none of the three main parties, Labour included, took the opportunity to say they wouldn't raise VAT when given the opportunity during the election.

Are we really going to have 5 years of Labour complaining about all the things that they would have had to have done anyway if they'd won the election?

Oh, of course. Silly me of to expect anything different.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Printing money increases inflation, not sure we want more inflationary pressures now – interest rates could get nasty.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Poor grannies on fixed pensions don't benefit from income tax allowances, but are made poorer by VAT rises.

How is this fair?

project
    Free Member

Lets just put VAT on each pound coin so each coin now costs £1.17.5 pence, see easy.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Rumour VAT 20% ???’ is closed to new replies.