Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rumour or reality?
  • juan
    Free Member

The SO just asked me if the new rules for the UCI point allocation concerning women were true?
    Anyone knows?

Lifer
    Free Member

What would they be?

scaredypants

swimwear parade

druidh
    Free Member

Extra points for knowing which end of a spanner to hold?

Trimix
    Free Member

🙂

*wipes spat coffee off screen*

juan
    Free Member

this

Lifer
    Free Member

Doesn’t say what the changes are and I can’t find anything about it…but guessing from that they’re proposing less points for a ladies win than a mens?

JoeG
    Free Member

Pinkbike has some coverage of the issue with their photos from day one of the World Cup in Norway here.

They have a photo of a banner asking riders to wear the blue armbands, and they say that a lot were.

I have complete confidence that UCI will eff this one up in the worst way possible! 👿

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Right does anybody know what they are actually planning/suggesting?

From what I have heard it will mean less points so womens results will be worth less in the team comp (that most people have no idea about) – this is a best guess from someone else

However if you can’t communicate what the problem is then how can people support it!!!!

Kevevs
    Free Member

no attendance without a lovely friendly little bear/ you can hide it wherever you want.

muggomagic

Well you should know what the problem is. Typical man.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is tension between riders and the UCI for the final round of the World Cup! The reason: next year the UCI wants to reduce the scale of points given to girls in the ranking of teams. But, the girls are determined not to be walked over!

It all started with a story that could have easily gone unnoticed. The UCI wants to reduce the scale of points awarded to girls in the classification of the World Cup.

But this poses a problem: if fewer points are distributed to girls, teams will have less interest to engage in girls, whereas today they can earn valuable points for the team standings. Eventually, more and more girls could find themselves without support and without a contract, if the importance of their participation in team rankings was reduced.

To remedy this problem, a meeting was organized by the women on Thursday night.

The girls have decided to protest during this round of Hafjell, wearing blue armbands to show their disagreement.

The revolt was unanimous, all the girls wore this cuff today, also picked up by a number of boys who want to also support their teammates and keep a good proportion of girls among the participants of the World Cups.
    More Info En frenchy

kimbers

mtb is enough of a sausage fest already wtf would the uci see any benefit in doing this ?

juan
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, but you don’t need to give me the information in French, I can cope with english 😉 (well kinda 😉 )

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I would assume that the UCI feels (not my view…) that as there are only 25 women in the DH finals and a total field of less than 50 normally then the women’s points skews the overall team points – something not many outside of the sport know about.

The womens perspective is if their points are less valuable then their chances of sponsorship drop.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

you don’t need to give me french information I can cope with english (weel kinda )

Just giving a link to the source

FuzzyWuzzy

I guess it’s one more step on the path to eradicating women’s cycling, which seems to be one of the UCI’s goals (along with lining their own pockets from increasing the popularity of cycling in Asia). Although I’m not too sure this will have much of an impact will it? I can’t name any WC winning team and suspect most others can’t, it’s the individual results that count and as long as the women’s DH races continue to get coverage they’ll continue to have a place on pro teams.

juan
    Free Member

Well it will inpact the overall team ranking. So if a bloke ranking 30 get the same point as a woman ranking top 10 I can’t see much team keepiong the women in.

MSP

I didn’t even know they ranked the teams.

I would like to see what the UCI’s supposed logic is on this, it seems beyond any rational application of fairness and against the general movement in sport to create greater equality. In fact it seems such a ridiculous idea I expect it may be a hoax, but with the UCI anything is possible.

vinnyeh

Here’s a fair idea. For the team points, bundle the times for both sexes together, then allocate one set of points going further down the field.

composite
    Free Member

So it would appear that not all teams have a female rider? As such would it not mean that any points gained for a team that has a female rider would be points earnt over a team that doesn’t have one? Have I over simplified this?

I’m not agreeing it’s a good idea to reduce their spread of points, of course there should be equality in sport. I’m just not sure it will be the end of teams sponsoring women. This opinion is based on the above paragraph being correct though so please put me right if not.

MSP – Member

I would like to see what the UCI’s supposed logic is on this, it seems beyond any rational application of fairness and against the general movement in sport to create greater equality. In fact it seems such a ridiculous idea I expect it may be a hoax, but with the UCI anything is possible.

The UCI has made so many arse backwards decisions that no one would put anything past them, this is their problem. I mean it would be just as ridiculous as the head of Fifa suggested that women’s football should be played in little shorts… how crazy sexist would that be… oh wait…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rumour or reality?’ is closed to new replies.