• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rumbly car wheel bearing question
  • IHN

I think I’ve got a bearing going in one of my rear wheels, but I can’t quite place which one it is from the rumble. When I steer right, it rumbles more than when I steer left, ao am I right in thinking that it’s probably the left one?

r6ymy
    Free Member

Get the jack out, try the left wheel first. If it spins smoothly off the ground, and you can’t feel any play, then try the other side. If both spin freely check the tyres very carefully, could be a damaged carcass.

falkirk_mark
    Free Member

Leave it till you know what one it is, I done the one I thought it was and the noise continued up until I sold the car. They go for thousands of miles after the noise first starts

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

falkirk_mark – Member
    Leave it till you know what one it is, I done the one I thought it was and the noise continued up until I sold the car. They go for thousands of miles after the noise first starts

You’re joking right? Get it checked immediately. As above, jack the car up, spin the wheel and you should feel some play or slight roughness in the wheel with the dodgy bearing. TBH though you’re probably best off just biting the bullet and changing both as they tend to fail at around about the same time.

Leaving it unchecked could lead to extra damage that’s otherwise avoidable.

Olly
    Free Member

jack up each corner and see for yourself.
    shouldnt take long surely :s
    my steering knocks slightly on full lock going right
    not sure if i should worry
    wasnt picked up in last months mot/service

snaps
    Free Member

I’ve had a wheel bearing colapse on me & it ain’t something I want to happen at speed!
    Turning out of a right hand junction at 10 mph & bang the right front wheel started vibrating real bad & nearly takes the steering wheel out of my hands & when I brake – real bad grinding noise where the wheel rubs the back of the arch – get it checked, might go on for ages might not!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m currently trying to identify a bearing noise at the front of mine after a pothole impact, pain in the neck – noise seems to be equally from both sides and there’s no noise when it’s jacked up, yet theres no other signs of damage to anything. 99% certain its the left hand one as it hit this pothole and started immediately:

IHN

Blimey, you must be really short.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just 7 or 8 inches 🙂 Lol, I just found that any other angle made the 6 inch deep, foot and a half diameter hole look like a slight scuffing of the road surface rather than effectively like driving up a kerb!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

evidence of an attempted repair their CK, you got yourself a case

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just finding the right address to write to. I also know it has been reported on “fillthathole.org” at least twice before (which is automatically reported to the council in question.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s pretty easy to change them and they don’t cost much – unless you have a RWD or 4WD car. So you might as well do both as a precaution.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Yup, £20-40 and an hours labour per side, a bit less labour if its a good garage.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why would the drive layout make a difference to cost of bearing replacement?

Front hub on my fwd galant was £150!

spooky_b329

Leave it till you know what one it is

Another ‘you’re joking right!?’

Mine failed without any rumbling…the day before it failed it felt like the handbrake was sticking occasionally, then whilst driving down a dual carriageway at 70mph the car starting swerving…it would lurch, then settle down for a minute, then lurch back, very buttock clenching! I stopped, no punctures, got back in, then got back out thinking something must be wrong, and it wasn’t til I went round giving every wheel a hefty kick I noticed one of the rear wheels had about 2 inches of side to side movement…it was ready to fall off!

I was only 20 minutes from home but had to sit there for 90 minutes waiting for a recovery truck.

conkerman
    Free Member

If you turn does the noise get louder??

Whichever way it does, the outside wheel is to blame.

COnks

theotherjonv

Love the way the double yellows disappear into the hole. Does that mean it’s legal to park a smart car in it?

r6ymy
    Free Member

coffeking, get you tyres checked. My response to IHN was based on personal experience, have twice had issues with tyres deformed after impacts causing rumbling sounds. On my Focus I was sure the rear wheel bearings were shot, checked them, couldn’t find anything. On next service, asked them to check, again nothing wrong with the bearings but they charged me £60 to align the rear wheels. No change to the rumbling. On latest service they said it was due to mis-shapen tyres. The fronts were knackered so I had two new tyres fitted, and swapped the wheels around. The tyre fitter checked the tyres that were on the rear, couldn’t see anything wrong, but when they were put on the front the rumbling sound has migrated with them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Love the way the double yellows disappear into the hole. Does that mean it’s legal to park a smart car in it?

Certainly big enough!

Letter written, not demanding a claim but expressing concern at the cost and likely future cost to them if they dont buck up.

I might try swapping the tyre for the spare for a bit, but I’m fairly sure its bearing noise – sounds like the race has been brinnelled. Also seems to have trashed my shocker – slight wheelspin set up a godallmighty bouncing front wheel effect this morning, normally it just slips a little at that junction.

IHN

I might try swapping the tyre for the spare for a bit

Good idea, I might do the same

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rumbly car wheel bearing question’ is closed to new replies.