Rules of the century?

Home Forum Bike Forum Rules of the century?

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Rules of the century?
  • Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Yes it does

You may have to elaborate on this.

🙂

pondo

You may have to elaborate on this.

Would “yes, Strava does work on turbos” suffice? 🙂

It’s your century – it’s what it means to you that counts. Done my first a month or so back on a sportive, two food stops and two puncture stops, that’ll do for me. Did a 95 mile round trip on cycle to work day as well, and although that was shorter and had an eight hour gap in the middle, that was loads harder! 🙂 The century is still the century, though. 🙂

trail_rat

maybe he uses the turbo like my girlfriend – and thus has the KOM for a length of the garage from one end to the other on his turbo.

hilldodger

Your ride, your rules 🙂
    It’s more about smiles than miles anyway (IMO)

prawny

matt_outandabout – Member
    I would be more impressed with 100 miles, 100 beers, 100 pee stops…

Now this sounds like a challenge I’m interested in. Can the beers be bottles?

clubber

Semi sensible answer 🙂

100 miles is really no big deal for any cyclist who rides regularly – it just sounds a lot to those who haven’t done it before or who don’t cycle. So long as you don’t go off too fast, doing 100 miles is just a case of keeping the pedals spinning for x hours while making sure you eat/drink enough to sustain that.

So, bragging rights don’t really exist. For those that will be impressed by you riding 100 miles, they won’t care whether you stopped or not because WOW, REALLY, YOU RODE 100 MILES. ON A BIKE!!!!!

For those that realise that it’s not that difficult, you’re not going to impress them (unless maybe you do it in under 4 hours or achieve the 100/100/100 miles/beers/pees combo) so just do it however you fancy.

Personally, I’d do it with pee stops as needed and a 20-30 minute stop for some lunch – as I’d want it to be enjoyable.

boblo

Well, on a positive note…. Good for you getting fit enough to ride ~ 7 hours (or whatever). You still have to sit and pedal for hours on end and you will feel pooped afterwards despite the naysayers on here doing it backwards, on a penny farthing, in the 18th century, with a pineapple shoved up their ars… errrm, you get the message. 🙂

Good luck to you and report back how you get/got on.

rusty90

you will feel pooped afterwards despite the naysayers on here doing it backwards, on a penny farthing, in the 18th century, with a pineapple shoved up their ars..

100 mile record on a penny farthing is 6:19:06 set in 1891. No mention of pineapples.

Premier Icon stever
    Subscriber

A linear ride is quite good fun, so’s you actually get somewhere rather than ride in a big pointless circle. Ride to a mates or a relative, or get the train somewhere stupid and ride home.

clubber

My post wasn’t intended to be negative BTW, just saying that if you do it, do it how you want because it won’t affect your bragging rights 😉

And FWIW, these days I’d be knackered after 100 miles but actually completing it wouldn’t be an issue, just not very fast.

boblo

Sorry Clubber, not getting at anyone in particular. Just the general theme is a bit ‘so what?’ It can be a big deal if you’ve never done one, especially if you were to choose the Lakes Passes as your first! 🙂

Anyone remember the Chap a bit ago that was doing one during a Sportive… by slipstreaming? Now that is worthy of a big dollop of scorn 😉

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Do it for 9 or 10 days on the trott and do LEJoG – thats fun.

Gary_M

maybe he uses the turbo like my girlfriend

There’s a joke in there somewhere

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Rules of the century?’ is closed to new replies.