Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • rule of thumb centrelock v 6bolt rotor alignment
  • antigee

quick rule of thumb / experience – looking at buying a set of kinesis CX V4 wheels as reckon not worth trying to true up again current wheels but i notice are centrelock

– have a 2nd set of “decent” wheels I keep for road which like the knackered ones are 6 bolt and I find despite differing hubs interchange no problem

question is with centrelock will it be fatchance/no way rotors will line up as per 6 bolt or maybe if lucky?

neilwheel
    Free Member

If both type of hubs are Shimano and you have Shimano rotors then it should work, any other option then you are in the lap of the gods.

everyone
    Free Member

Remember you can always shim the 6 bolt hub out. Of course if it needs moving in then you’re stuffed!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    moff

What’s to stop you shimming a centrelock rotor out?

Dibbs
    Free Member

What’s to stop you shimming a centrelock rotor out?

The lack of centrelock shim availability?

theotherjonv

I run two sets of wheels on my CX, one six bolt and one CL, and they transfer fine with no need for shims or caliper adjustment.

Just also be aware you need a different CL lockring for Kinesis V4 wheels; the axle is too wide so you can’t use a normal one and then get the tool in – you need a lockring with external teeth to fit a HTII tool.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/kinesis-crosslight-wheels-v4-fitting-disc-issue

A very nice man called MTB Rob sorted me out.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I assume in missing something here but – there are no centre lock specific forks or frames, any rotor should (I accept marginal differences are common) line up so long as the hub is the same size.

Admittedly not on a cx bike but that shouldn’t make any odds, I ran a pair of hope hubbed wheels, some ss ones both six bolt, and shimano XT in centre lock all were interchangeable fine whether using cl rotors or six bolt adapters and rotors. Occasionally had to slacken the mounting bolts and recentre the caliper but ime that’s perfectly normal anyway even with the same wheels rotors brakes etc.

antigee

cheers – looks like probably ok rather than no way

theotherjonv – thanks for the heads up on that will check it out

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Occasionally had to slacken the mounting bolts and recentre the caliper but ime that’s perfectly normal anyway even with the same wheels rotors brakes etc.

Not really, I’ve got a couple of bikes with instantly swappable wheels. Different hubs, shimmed out to be exactly right. Only time the caliper gets removed is to make bleeding easier. (Cassettes are shimmed too)

Even got identical hubs, no spacers needed there.

Only bugger was finding the shims, like rocking horse doings.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘rule of thumb centrelock v 6bolt rotor alignment’ is closed to new replies.