Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • anagallis_arvensis

They have such good attacking backs when all fit.

Most of them aint playing as they are not fit!

dantsw13

I can’t help feel Hansen tried to get too cute with his selection last week against England.
    Cane, Smith, Crotty and Coles all not starting. Barrett gets all the glory, but Ben Smith is absolutely world class.

dantsw13

Agreed AA – what I was trying (badly) to say was I would love to see the full Wales back line playing this way.

anagallis_arvensis

Cant believe they played last weeks right wing in preference to Ben Smith and then late on the bought on that tall shit Barret rather than Ben Smith.

IdleJon

I didn’t realise that Wales under Gatland had such a low win rate – 58% according to ITV, 51% according to wiki.

anagallis_arvensis

Agreed AA – what I was trying (badly) to say was I would love to see the full Wales back line playing this way.

Patchel having the ability to pass is a massive upgrade over Biggar in attack.

anagallis_arvensis

Could be a long second half!

IdleJon

Why is it that if you mess up a quick throw-in that you get a second chance? It should be a scrum to the other side, I’ve always thought.

anagallis_arvensis

Why is it that if you mess up a quick throw-in that you get a second chance? It should be a scrum to the other side, I’ve always thought.

I thought that, threw it forward not from the mark and it was knocked on, line out NZ…seems wrong!

anagallis_arvensis

Looks like Parkes has been mumified!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Ben Smith is bloody class. He’d walk into pretty much any other team.

IdleJon

Ben Smith is bloody class. He’d walk into pretty much any other team.

That’s not news! 😂

The weird thing is why the best player in the world was left out vs England.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Retallick played against England !

IdleJon

Gatland’s last game pretty much sums up his time as coach. No real in threat in attack – why has he never managed to achieve that other than in short bursts? Inaccuracy in everything, no real intelligence on the pitch so no quick change of game plan. Too many players who aren’t good enough.

Edwards’ defence is what we’ll miss but even that disappeared today.

IMO that’s the most disappointing Welsh performance for a long, long time.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Well in the end that went much as expected. Wales can hold their heads up high though afaic. Some decent performances.
    I guess the talk of what comes next for each home nation should wait until after the final.
    Looking forward to tomorrow’s game, (so long as I don’t hear much more of the thoughts of Dallaglio et Al) I shall be cheering on England.
    Go England!

anagallis_arvensis

Too many players who aren’t good enough.

And which ones should he have picked?

Gatland’s last game pretty much sums up his time as coach.

4 six nations with three grand slams and two World Cup semi finals.

Wasn’t it you telling me I talk bobbins the other day? You post is both complete and utter bobbins as well as being extremely churlish. Gatland has consistently over achieved with a very limited player pool.

anagallis_arvensis

Some decent performances.

Dillon Lewis played very well I was totally wrong about him, Carre could be very good if his scrumaging improves at Saffercens. Playing the second half with a backrow of Davies, Shingler and Tips at 8 was a bit lightweight to say the least. Patchel was good and so was Adams, Watkin exceeded expectations too.

dantsw13

Why we love rugby so much – seeing the respect amongst the players after the match – opposing numbers chatting to each other , hooker to hooker, lock to lock.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

4th? Obviously not what I wanted, but given the injuries to the team, a damned good effort!

Warren G can walk away proud of what he’s done.

Also, I gather AWJ was asked by a French journalist about his retirement. His reply? “See you in February”

dantsw13

Wales do seem to lose a lot of players in big tournaments- I don’t know if the style they play is just so attritional or maybe the smaller player pool puts a bigger strain on them?

IdleJon

Wasn’t it you telling me I talk bobbins the other day?

No it wasn’t actually but don’t let that put you off. Are you the only person on here who is allowed to be negative about the Welsh then, you insufferable knob?

anagallis_arvensis

No but when you decide to start jabbering on rubbish about the best coach wales have had in 50 years I do feel the need to add some balance. If you cant talk about the game without talking rubbish you throwing abou insults why dont you try going for a ride or something?

gordimhor

Rennie has been approached for the all blacks job apparently. I find that a bit indigestible. 😊

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any chance we could leave the playground insults out, chaps?

w00dster

One or two of the injuries helped. There was some of the starting 15 from earlier games who I wouldn’t have started with.
    I do think the choice of Galtand’s starting 15 stymied the attack. Not going into too much detail, but we need to be much more than crash ball in the centre, support from flankers, crash ball again. The players are there, there are wingers who can beat players and centres who can create space – we just didn’t really play as much heads up rugby as we can.
    I do like Biggar, but can see why others find issue with him. Patchell does look a promising replacement. We do need to look at full back and centre positions though, ensuring we have the players in those positions who are able to play the type of rugby the team is playing.

dantsw13

I’d be much happier as a welsh fan than an Irish or Scottish one. 3 points away from a final spot is gut wrenching but certainly not a disastrous campaign.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That’s not news! 😂

I know. No idea what Hansen was thinking last week. Smith is amazeballs.

Given that Wales were a bit patched up, that largely went surely as most expected? Seemed a game too far.

BruceWee

Rennie has been approached for the all blacks job apparently. I find that a bit indigestible.

I’m struggling to see significant forward progress for Glasgow under him compared to Glasgow under Toonie. I’m not sure why he’s so in demand.

anagallis_arvensis

The players are there, there are wingers who can beat players and centres who can create space –

Wingers yes, but who are these centres? Parkes and Davies cant pass, Watkin neither, Scot Williams is slightly better but he has lost all his speed now, cant really think of any other options. Owen Williams was looked at but was injured, Halaholo is now Welsh so might be worth looking at. Gatland saw the issue with Biggar hence Anscombe but he got broke and Patchel hardly played all last season.

We do need to look at full back

Liam is pretty handy and with Anscombe at 10 we could have looked at Patchel at 15, he’s done well there before. McNicol could be an option too, as he is Welsh soon I think.

Pivac has some work to do.

Pigface
    Free Member

AA it was me who accused you of talking bobbins 😂 this time I agree, I think Gatland and his team have done really well with what at first was a very limited pool of players, we do have more depth now.not a huge amount but the only way was up.

Thanks Gats you and the team have given me some great days in the last couple of years.

hols2
    Free Member

I’m not sure why he’s so in demand.

Because of his achievements in Super Rugby, apparently. Not saying I think he’s the best choice, but the NZ bosses will have seen how he operates and must have been impressed if the rumours are true.

BruceWee

Because of his achievements in Super Rugby, apparently

Have these people never heard of the Dragons*?

*No offense Dragons fans

mindmap3
    Free Member

Whilst I might not find Gatland’s approach to rugby particularly pretty no one can question his results with wales whilst he’s been in charge. The pool of players is pretty small but they’ve eclipsed England in those 12 years in terms of 6N wins etc.

dantsw13

Well, due to storm force winds in the Solent, my sailing course is delayed a day, meaning I get to watch the final tomorrow 👍

My son has England in the family sweepstake whereas I have SA. That would definitely be a hollow victory, but the winner gets a month of no dish washing…..

dantsw13

Whatever the result tomorrow Japan do seem to have hosted a wonderful event.
    I spent a lot of time in Japan over the last 15 years and have a great affinity for the country.

igm

So… England a near certainty tomorrow then?

piha
    Free Member

So… England a near certainty tomorrow then?

Absolutely not!

IdleJon

Any chance we could leave the playground insults out, chaps?

Apologies one and all. The word ‘insufferable’ would never have been uttered in my school’s playground.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The word ‘insufferable’ would never have been uttered in my school’s playground.

You are Dennis Skinner and I claim my five pounds.

Kryton57

they’ve eclipsed England

And Scotland, Ireland, France and Italy.  No need to pick on us, pay heed to Headmaster CFH.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.