Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • anagallis_arvensis

I certainly didn’t see it that way – SA countered legally straight through a number of welsh rucks because they hadn’t committed enough men to secure it….

But the counter rucking was only available due to the ball being trapped in the rucks so long, neither team got quick ball and both defences were offside constantly.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

I’m really nervous about Saturday now having listened to a BBC podcast on the way home about S.A. and the potential impact winning the WC could have. That’s got to be a massive motivator. Gulp.

Likewise. Someone at work gave me part of the Telegraph that notes all the occasions where teams played superbly to win their semi and then failed to deliver in the final.

However, on balance I’m still confident and reckon England, by 10…😬

Kryton57

massive motivator.

Or massive pressure.

brownsauce
    Free Member

This Eng team + manager have just as good a chance of winning the cup as any that went before them – think positive – we’re doing very well getting here

And although the boks are a solid team their performance against a stuttering wales wasnt that amazing or creative.to be fair

And in their defeat to NZ in the first week , although close for most of the game , in the last 20mins the AB’s moved up a gear and completely rolled them over.

so they are there for the taking by this Eng team imo

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s their opportunity to make history that worries me…first black captain to lift the trophy, first team to win the Rugby Championship and WC in the same year and the first team to lose a pool game and win.

The pressure will be on but they almost have more at stake.

Maybe I just find it hard to be positive given the number of false dawns that we’ve had and failures to back up big performances in the past.

ads678

Yeah but all the other teams that have won it, have won it twice or more. So it’s our turn now!

dantsw13

Mindmap – all of those things you list are media creations. It’s hardly like the Mandela/Pienaar World Cup.

Of course SA can win, but I’d rather play a predictable powerful team than a bunch of Mavericks.

Before the second semi I listened to Matt Dawson explaining why we would much rather play SA than Wales and I tend to agree.

brownsauce
    Free Member

It’s their opportunity to make history that worries me…first black captain to lift the trophy, first team to win the Rugby Championship and WC in the same year and the first team to lose a pool game and win.

thats just a load of media friendly aspirational stuff and will have no relevence once the whistle blows

play the game , not the occasion – mental preparation 101

The pressure will be on but they almost have more at stake.

There’ll be pressure alright , but nothing is at stake other than the chance to win and team pride – nothing else , and that will be equally the same for both teams

anagallis_arvensis

Wales: Amos; Lane, J Davies, Watkin, Adams; Patchell, T Williams; N Smith, Owens, D Lewis, Beard, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Tipuric, J Davies, Moriarty.

Replacements: E Dee, Carre, W Jones, Ball, Shingler, G Davies, Biggar, Parkes.

New Zealand: B Barrett; B Smith, Crotty, S Bill-Williams, Ioane; Mo’unga; A Smith; Moody, Coles, Laulala, Retallick, S Barrett, Frizzell, Cane, Read (capt).

Replacements: Coltman, Moli, Ta’avao, Tuipulotu, Todd, Webber, Lienert-Brown, J Barrett.

Could get messy, cant see Tipuric and Davies working in the backrow, far too light weight.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mindmap – all of those things you list are media creations. It’s hardly like the Mandela/Pienaar World Cup.

Smit and the other chap whose name I can’t recall were saying that they think it’s potentially a bigger deal because of the history behind Siya Kolisi. Perhaps I’m just trying to find reason not to be optimistic!

Sinckler still seems to be be nursing a dodgy calf. He, Farrell and May haven’t been training with the rest of the squad apparently. Hopefully it’s more about managing them than anything more serious.

anagallis_arvensis

Worryingly 1/2p has concussion, lad should retire

dantsw13

Yep. Can’t help feeling concussion protocols in the Southern Hemisphere are way behind ours.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Could get messy, cant see Tipuric and Davies working in the backrow, far too light weight.

At least you’re only up against the AB’s seconds like Ben Smith and Ryan Crotty!

anagallis_arvensis

At least you’re only up against the AB’s seconds like Ben Smith and Ryan Crotty!

Indeed, seems odd that they picked there second 15 for the semi final!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Unchanged team for England other than Spencer. All those with knocks from last week are fit.

Kryton57

Jones keeps banging on that “..SA will just play like the always have…”   Not sure if this is gamesmanship and he’s trying to get into Rassie’s head and force him to change his plans to something he doesn’t want to do.

Stoner
    Free Member

I dont get how May has stayed in the squad after puling up in a one on one against Barrett. He must surely be carrying a hamstring twinge.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I dont get how May has stayed in the squad after puling up in a one on one against Barrett. He must surely be carrying a hamstring twinge.

You would have thought so wouldn’t you but he must have passed a bunch of tests to be included. They must be sure about him or else there’d be wing cover on the bench.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Jones keeps banging on that “..SA will just play like the always have…” Not sure if this is gamesmanship and he’s trying to get into Rassie’s head and force him to change his plans to something he doesn’t want to do.

On the other hand Rassie was pretty open about SA sticking to their gameplan…so maybe he’s playing the games!

It’s hard to see S.A. changing the way they play though. The team selected is on to play direct.

anagallis_arvensis

Talking about changing plans, I dont get why ford was dropped for the aus game but stays in this when he’s likely to have Delande and other going straight down his channel.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Because he proved against NZ that he is not as much of a defensive liability as we once thought?

Kryton57

I think Farrel has proved a much better second tactical ability than Slade, our back line really has many options with him at 12.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Because he proved against NZ that he is not as much of a defensive liability as we once thought?

Well it’s pretty easy to defend when the other team don’t have the ball.

Ford is a better tackler than Farrell anyway. He misses far fewer tackles.

Farrell supposedly provides more impact in defence although his technique is poor and his “hits” are often without the arms and accompanied by feigning injury.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Talking about changing plans, I dont get why ford was dropped for the aus game but stays in this when he’s likely to have Delande and other going straight down his channel.

Although and and powerful, I’m not sure the Bok centres offer that much. The Aussie centres do seem to offer a bit more going forward rather than just trying to run over people.

Ford earned the right to start last week too; he was very good.

anagallis_arvensis

NZ seemed to studiously avoid sending anyone down the 10 channel and spent all game trying to get outside the blitz at 13.

Ford earned the right to start last week too; he was very good.

Yep, he’s a quality player and England look far more dangerous with him and Faz. I just still dont get why he was dropped v Aus, logic would suggest if its due to big 12’s coming his way the same logic would apply v SA.

Kryton57

Maybe Eddie not risking two 10’s until it really matters?

mefty
    Free Member

The SA defence is probably stronger than Australia’s so maybe he thinks he needs Ford on the pitch longer to unlock it, albeit at a slight weakening of the England defence.

ElShalimo

Can we do predictions?…

SA to win in an utter bore-fest is mine

dantsw13

Firstly tomorrow, I fear for an AB backlash against a depleted Wales.

Saturday, Look at the ease of Wales try. England forward power should create enough opportunities, we just need to take them.

anagallis_arvensis

Look at the ease of Wales try

Not saying England wont win as they should but if it was that **** easy they’d have scored more than one wouldnt they!

tjagain

ElShalimo

Can we do predictions?…

SA to win in an utter bore-fest is mine

I agree

anagallis_arvensis

England to win quite handily I reckon, by 15.
    Wales to lose this am quite handily by 25+.

Sad thing is had Wales got past SA we’d be going into the final v England without Liam, 1/2p, North, maybe Parkes, Navidi, Wainwright and Francis lost during and no Faletau, Anscombe or Jenkins lost before.

Today we have Lewis at tighthead who is not up to international rugby scrumaging and Wyn Jones covering tighthead on the bench, and he’s a loosehead. Our only hope is that NZ deem it beneath them to beat us by scrumming and mauling us to death.

gauss1777
    Free Member

England to win quite handily I reckon, by 15.
    Wales to lose this am quite handily by 25+.

That’s the same as I had in my mind.
    Glad to see Barnes is ref.

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Oh dear ! Wales’s defence is resetting a bit slowly today.

anagallis_arvensis

Pleased for Amos after all his **** ups v Uruguay!

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

A good watch so far, quite a relief after the SA/Wales semi.

anagallis_arvensis

Straight to head that on Tomos Williams, video ref awol as usual!

dantsw13

Good game so far! I feared the worse at 14-0 but good to see Wales play. They have such good attacking backs when all fit.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ha! A taste of his own medicine for Moriarty 😀

hols2
    Free Member

Mmm, normal service resumes.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.