Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • piha
    Free Member

I’m not sure you understand how rugby works!! Giving both teams big head starts and then winning the qf with a late very lucky try was certainly not doung whats needed. Care to poibt out why the bookies see sa as firm favourites whilst you think they will win? What have the bookies missed?

So you agree that Wales won, although I agree, not by an emphatic performance. Thank you for clearing that up, I’d be lost without you!

If I had wanted to follow the bookies opinions, I would have. Instead I gave my thoughts and added quite clearly “IMO” (that means ‘in my opinion’), you even quoted my post.

Anyway, let’s stick to Wales V SA, perhaps we shouldn’t forget that SA have failed to beat Wales in their last 4 meetings…..

Whatever happens, Saturday will be a great day for rugby and good luck to all four teams.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saturday will be a great day for rugby and good luck to all four teams.

Sunday.

piha
    Free Member

Sunday

Yep, Sunday too!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

Anyway, let’s stick to Wales V SA, perhaps we shouldn’t forget that SA have failed to beat Wales in their last 4 meetings…..

Friendlies against an end of season knackered SA or Washington DC knockabouts dont count for much. Curious what aspects of the game you think Wales have the advantage in?

Kryton57

I’m assuming the big SA pack has something to do with Wales looking tired against the French.   Its ok having a defense based team but taking a battering week in week out must take a toll.

Anyway lets hope for the best eh.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m assuming the big SA pack has something to do with Wales looking tired against the French.

I think thats just SA packs!!

brownsauce
    Free Member

To be fair , there was quite a lengthy period where S.A went fairly shit , mainly due to a unsuccessful management period and a large team rebuild following big name retirements.

All culminating when they got their own asses handed to them by Japan a few years back.

They’re looking good this year though.

Lots of power upfront and will try and dominate with the forwards.

But certainly not unbeatable regardless of what odds the bookies give.

DanW
    Free Member

Thank goodness Wales set piece has somewhat come together just in time… but all teams know how to beat Wales. As we always say, Wales just don’t have destructive big ball carriers or a pack to defend the likes of England/ NZ/ SA who *can* make light work of them. Lots to be gained close to rucks and running inside shoulders/ inside runners against Wales as several teams have shown. Gatland said this week all teams know how to beat each other though, but doing it is another matter.

What is in Wales favour is SA have a habit of blowing chances still and giving the opposition little half chances to get back in to a game. Wales reeeaaally need to start well and be able to put SA under pressure. True of virtually all rugby matches but I don’t fancy Wales having to chase SA.

Lets hope for two cracking matches!

piha
    Free Member

Curious what aspects of the game you think Wales have the advantage in?

I’ve already stated where I think Wales will do well and what their strengths are.

Player v player I think Wales probably come up a bit short when compared with S.A. but I believe Wales’ players are greater than the sum of its parts. This is evident in their habit of falling behind (as you point out) and then going on to win (as I point out). I don’t think Wales will romp to victory but I reckon they might just edge S.A.

How do you see the match panning out?

anagallis_arvensis

I’ve already stated where I think Wales will do well and what their strengths are.

Have you? I must have missed that.

anagallis_arvensis

How do you see the match panning out?

Either Wales will get a real smashing by about 20 points or SA will choke and it’ll be close, I just dont see where Wales have an advantage. Scrum, no, lineouts no, mauls no, ball carrying in forwards no, mid field no, back 3 no. So our best hope is SA get tired out running into us and Biggar can win a few high balls.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Firstly, I agree it is hard to see Wales winning this match. Especially with injury upon injury.

I just dont see where Wales have an advantage

However (all of this does not consider SA – which I do not know enough about), Wales do have a few things going for them. Strategy: I have become increasingly confident over the past few years in Gatland’s ability to find a plan to play each big game. Kicking: Wales are great with penalty and conversion kicks, drop goals have also been successful at times so far. Pressure: Wales have won a few big games in the past 18 months where they were underdogs, due to imho their being able to handle the pressure better than their opponents; AWJ, Biggar, 1/2p being three in particular who spring to mind. I may be delusional, it may not be enough to win, but it is enough to give me hope. So long as Wales are within 6pts of the opposition before the 80 min gong, I’ll still be a little hopeful.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales: Halfpenny; North, J Davies, Parkes, Adams; Biggar, G Davies; Wyn Jones, Owens, Francis, Ball, Alun Wyn Jones (capt), Wainwright, Moriarty, Tipuric.

Replacements: Dee, R Carre, D Lewis, Beard, Shingler, T Williams, Patchell, Watkin.

wrecker
    Free Member

Shit’s about to get real! Enjoy the games everyone.

loum
    Free Member

That’s some Welsh team.

All British lions backs, except the 2 -parks Adams – who weren’t yet Welsh enough
    5 out of 8 lions forward too.

Should be confident coming off a slam.
    And a gameplan that doesn’t need the ball should be ideal against the boks.

Kick long, pressure mistakes, play the ref, take chances.
    Can see SA getting frustrated

Big miss with kolbe out too , all ways good to watch.

loum
    Free Member

Other game interesting too

All blacks building nicely, and Arddie looks like the new Michael Jones.

England confident too.
    picking 2 tens looks like they’ll continue with that big kick chase game that’s brought a good few tries for may.
    All blacks won’t mind them sending ball to Barret though

Should be fun

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Though it feels dirty saying it, I want England to win this one.

If Wales can get past SA, they’re more likely to beat England than NZ, so my reasoning is partly selfish!

Also, I’ll happily support whoever is playing NZ as a matter of principle!

So, good luck England!

brownsauce
    Free Member

Mega excited this morn !

got up early to get all my shit done in readiness

too early for me to be boozing so i’m wired on caffine lol

Will be a great match , , good luck England !

🙂

ads678

Woke up at 5, daren’t go back to sleep incase I slept in and missed KO…

Just done half an hour on the rowing machine cos I’m nervous and need something to do…..

Might have to get a bacon butty!.

Come on England!!!🌹

piha
    Free Member

Come on England (and Wales for tomorrow)

I am as excited as a small boy at Christmas! Just off to the pub to join up with a group of friends, big fat breakfast and then it will be KO.

Good luck to all and here’s hoping George Kruis comes on and scores the winning try…..

anagallis_arvensis

5 out of 8 lions forward too.

Who are they?

anagallis_arvensis

I can see your point and its a good one, but its a big risk, what if Wales lose tomorrow!!! If only the games were reversed!!

spekkie
    Free Member

yep – woke up early here too. Beautiful sunny day, clear skies, but the bike is going to sit inside this morning!

Have a friend in NZ who is keeping very quiet about his teams chances…..

hols2
    Free Member

Should be confident coming off a slam.

Not to mention that walloping they inflicted on the French.

anagallis_arvensis

Not to mention that walloping they inflicted on the French.

And Fiji

gauss1777
    Free Member

If Wales can get past SA, they’re more likely to beat England than NZ, so my reasoning is partly selfish!

Also, I’ll happily support whoever is playing NZ as a matter of principle!

So, good luck England!

This is pretty much where I am too. I’m sure I’ll regret it should they win, as the media and some of the pundits will be unbearable. But, some of the team are actually quite likeable and whilst NZ play some great rugby, it’s time for someone else to win.

Come on England!

Houns

I’d prefer England to play Wales in the final too, think they’d have a better chance against them than SA

Kryton57

I’ve ground my beans and am waiting to the coffee ritual to perfection.

Nervous times…  Cmon England!

anagallis_arvensis

But, some of the team are actually quite likeable

Dont tell anyone but I quite like Farrell whenever I hear him speak and Mako is obviously a good valleys boy so he’s OK.

null

theotherjonv

been catching up on the prematch. I enjoyed the 1970’s version of the Haka, that’s a ritual that seems to have evolved in the last 50 years

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Not nervous at all.

All the hype about England potentially winning the game is mostly just, hype.

NZ are a class apart and need to have an off day to be beatable. We maybe have a 5-10% chance of doing it. I’m still hoping for that chance to come through but it’s not like 2003 where we expected to win and would have been really disappointed if we hadn’t.

gauss1777
    Free Member

We maybe have a 5-10% chance of doing it.

I feel like England have a 25% to 40% chance. I just hope they hold it together.

C’mon Kyle : )

Kryton57

Interesting games from England.  Rising to the challenge

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’m not a Python fan, but I’d love to see england reply to the Hakka with:

anagallis_arvensis

We maybe have a 5-10% chance

Bigger than that, but about the same as wales tomorrow…

Kryton57

**** me!

frankconway

Blistering!

richmars

98 seconds!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Way hey!!!

😁😁😁😁

anagallis_arvensis

Great rugby!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.