Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • dantsw13

NZ getting Owens 2 games in a row? He certainly suits their “style” as he wants a flowing game.

DanW
    Free Member

No news on Rob Howley?

Interestingly I don’t think I’ve heard a single mention or name check of Stephen Jones since he flew over either…

dantsw13

I’m glad the whole Howley thing has been quiet – it could easily have cast a media shadow over Wales

DanW
    Free Member

I agree. But odd that Jones is invisible in the media too and hasn’t had a single mention in any player interview, opinion piece or anything. Massive effort to pretend nothing happened which has to be for the best for the team but takes quite some doing

burko73

I’m sure I’ve heard jones interviewed on some welsh rugby podcast since he arrived in Japan.

burko73

SA fans on Twitter proper wound up over Garces reffing the SA v WAl game.

sharkbait
    Free Member

BIL flying out tomorrow to watch both semi-finals. He’s a massive fan with twickenham debenture tickets and has mates already out their and they’ve managed to get tickets for him …. Lucky guy!

duckman

I’m glad the Howley thing had died a bit as the poor bloke obviously has an addiction. Engerland fans; Owen Slot in the Times has 9 stout, English Yeomen in his combined team, and no room for pesky colonials such as Retallick. I wonder if that might be pinned to a dressing room wall on Sat?

dantsw13

To be fair, you could pick any of the 8 or so eng/nz locks in a world XV without too much argument.

I wonder if we might see Cockanasiga involved at some point in the SF?

Personally I’d have Watson at 15, Big Joe & May on the wing with Nowell on the bench. There is some serious depth in this squad now, with players like Wilson, Launchbury, Genge, Cockanasiga not even making the 23.

Whilst NZ are favourites, recent games have been decided by a point here and there.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Saracens burying their salary cap inquest. Don’t want to upset things in Japan, you see.

In other news, oooh look, a squirrel!

anagallis_arvensis

I wonder if we might see Cockanasiga involved at some point in the SF?

He’d be turned inside out and spat out by NZ. May, Watson and Daly as back 3 you need wingers that can defend v NZ

IdleJon

if so why did they look at it, with the tmo, as if it was an issue?

See below:

LAW11 Knock-onorthrowforward

5. The ball is not knocked-on, and play continues, if:

b. A player rips or knocks the ball from an opponent and the ball goes forward from the opponent’s hand or arm.

You’ve read that the wrong way around. It means that the carrying player doesn’t commit a knock-on if the ball is ripped from him. The ripper still needs to make the ball go backwards to avoid a knock-on.

mindmap3
    Free Member

He’d be turned inside out and spat out by NZ. May, Watson and Daly as back 3 you need wingers that can defend v NZ

Agree although Daly’s defence is pretty suspect too.

I’m looking forward to Saturday morning but I’m not giving is much chance. If the AB’s tune up in that sort of mood again they’ll walk it.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

If the AB’s tune up in that sort of mood again they’ll walk it

I don’t think the English pack will lay down and die like the Irish did so it won’t be a walk in the park for the ABs.

If England get a couple of scores ahead the ABs have the ability to pull it back whereas if the opposite happened then there’d be no way back.

As an England fan I want us to win but, as a pure rugby fan, I’d also be happy enough with NZ doing it. Can’t lose really. 😊

Kryton57

As an England fan I want us to win but, as a pure rugby fan, I’d also be happy enough with NZ doing it.

+1

anagallis_arvensis

Great then you can show your moral superiority by cheering for Wales after we beat SA 3:0 with two red cards to SA!!

Kryton57

Read back.  I’ve been supporting Wales – and Japan – the during their matches for ages.  I shall be cheering for Wales on Sunday.

Caher

I wouldn’t quite have described the Irish performance as “laid back and died” but then in a lot of your posts you’ve had a pop at the Irish. I really hope the All Blacks have a good win.

anagallis_arvensis

I wouldn’t quite have described the Irish performance as “laid back and died”

Nor me, had they laid back and died the set piece would have failed and both scrums and lineouts held up well, they just got smashed by a better team.

Hoping to see more of Lamour next year, he’s quality. Him, Hogg, Daly, Liam could be a massive battle to be Lions 15.

anagallis_arvensis

Read back. I’ve been supporting Wales – and Japan – the during their matches for ages.

I know, like I said morally superior.

I’m torn. I mean if Wales made the final they’d have a chance v England but none v NZ so yay go England, but I’m not sure I could cope with a loss v England, I’d be watching from behind the sofa and wouldnt come out for a month if we lost to England. And having said all that I dont see us winning v SA anyway, also to top it all Eddie Jones is a complete **** so it would seem right to have him with a world cup win on his CV. So to summarise I’ll be supporting the land of my brother in one semi and the land of my father in the other.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

but then in a lot of your posts you’ve had a pop at the Irish

I don’t really see how pointing out that the Irish were good a year ago but are shite now is having a pop. Try reading the Irish press for a true evisceration of the team and the coaching set-up.

Here

mattyfez

I’d like to see a Wales England final.

I think we’re gonna get an SA NZ final

anagallis_arvensis

Cane dropped!!!! WTAF?

New Zealand: Beauden Barrett; Sevu Reece, Jack Goodhue, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Bridge; Richie Mo’unga, Aaron Smith; Joe Moody, Codie Taylor, Nepo Laulala, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Scott Barrett, Ardie Savea, Kieran Read (capt).

Replacements: Dane Coles, Ofa Tuungafasi, Angus Ta’avao, Patrick Tuipulotu, Sam Cane, TJ Perenara, Sonny Bill Williams, Jordie Barrett.

Kryton57

Interesting.  I’d like to think the AB’s are nervous of something.  Sarvea’s a unit but I can help think Curry or Underhill wins the 7 race there.    AB’s going defensive?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Scott Barrett will be able to disrupt England’s line out from the start. They took England’s throw in apart in the second half at Twickenham last year. Plus he’s incredibly mobile for a lock and a great ball carrier. His speed is pretty amazing too. I recall him running down Julian Savea from behind in Super Rugby.

Still, it’s unusual for the ABs to make a selection to counter their opponents rather than just play their own game but I guess it’s a nod of respect to England.

anagallis_arvensis

Sarvea’s a unit but I can help think Curry or Underhill wins the 7 race there.

????on which planet???? Both Curry and Underhill despite what the press keep saying are both classic English 6.5’s. If England keep their backrow the same its going to put massive pressure on the locks in the lineout or England throw to Curry at the back which will also be high risk.

anagallis_arvensis

South Africa: Le Roux; Nkosi, Am, De Allende, Mapimpi; Pollard, De Klerk; Mtawarira, Mbonambi, Malherbe, Etzebeth, De Jager, Kolisi (capt), Du Toit, Vermeulen

Replacements: Marx, Kitschoff, Koch, Snyman, Mostert, Louw, H Jantjies, Steyn

Looks chunky with 6 chunky forwards on the bench too…..no Kolbe. If our set piece holds up and we can hang in for 60mins……..Edwards will be able to plan for this lot much easier……lets hope for another 60min rope a dope followed by a Davies interception

mindmap3
    Free Member

So Ford is back for England, Faz sliding over to 12, Manu back to 13. Slade drops to the bench.

Nowell is bust so misses out.

Big call from Eddie.

gauss1777
    Free Member

lets hope for another 60min rope a dope followed by a Davies interception

I’m hoping for a 77min rope-a-dope, followed by a move never seen before. Tomos Williams does a forward roll underneath two tacklers leaping out of it over the line to score a try. The ref is so shocked by its brilliance that he awards it without checking if it’s allowed (that’s because I presume it’s not). Everyone says Wales lack attacking flair, but the players have it in them. We’re huge underdogs for this game, I’m just praying that something clicks.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

had they laid back and died the set piece would have failed and both scrums and lineouts held up well, they just got smashed by a better team.

True but the ABs were happy with parity at the set piece and it didn’t really help the Irish much on the score sheet did it?

It was the carrying on the gain line that killed off the Irish pack. All the tip and pop passes by the ABs forwards committed more and more Irish forwards into the tackles until they were worn out by tackling, getting off the ground and repeating.

Kryton57

So Ford is back for England, Faz sliding over to 12

Big call from Eddie.

Yes, that makes me nervous.  Its obvious that Eddie sees Youngs & Ford to pin the AB’s back and make them run from deep and force pings with the forwards, with Farrell to assist the wide defence / be a 3rd playmaker / kick for goal.   Yet, the AB’s are going to hit Fords channel hard.

Wilson & Kruis on the bench – hopes of defending a lead in the last 20 I feel.  England need to keep their heads though.

So far, AB’s adjust for England, England stick with their own game and positional strategy.  1-0 England.  Ok maybe 0.1-0 England 🙂

This is the best England side we are going to get onto the field, this really is it – this is Englands RWC and four years prep all tied to this one game – super squeaky bum time.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Is Nowell out? Guardian says he is fit?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Looks like Rennie replacing Chieka.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Youngs need to have a good game but, despite 90+ caps, he often goes missing in the biggest games.

NZ’s bench looks superior with Coles, Cane, Perenara and SBW all being players who can make a huge difference.

IdleJon

Tomos Williams does a forward roll

He needs to release the ball while does the roll…

hols2
    Free Member

Cane dropped!!!! WTAF?

I think they decided they needed to strengthen their lineout.

piha
    Free Member

A.B’s looking very strong and as noted above, they have a lot of talent on the bench. It’s disappointing to see George Kruis on the bench, he is a local lad but Lawes has been playing very well. Just need to trust Eddie’s selections. Very difficult to call but i think NZ will edge it. I am really really looking forward to this match.

S.A v Wales is another cracker. I have Wales as favourites and I fully expect Wales to win, with their superior game management and superior fitness.

Wales overall favourites to win the final too, obvs IMO.

brownsauce
    Free Member

Meh , we’ve got the A.B’s so rattled they have resorted to spying on Eng training camp this week with a telephoto lens from a balcony lol.

And being underdogs and written off suits Eng just fine from  a pyschological point of view – it takes the pressure off if everyones expecting Eng to lose….

Trophy no. 2 is virtually in the bag , i can almost taste the gold 😉

anagallis_arvensis

S.A v Wales is another cracker. I have Wales as favourites and I fully expect Wales to win, with their superior game management and superior fitness.

Wales overall favourites to win the final too, obvs IMO.

I’ll have half a pint of what he’s drinking please!

piha
    Free Member

I’ll have half a pint of what he’s drinking please!

Wales simply know how to win. That is what they are good at and continue to keep winning. Look at their recent matches against England, France & Australia. They’ve even transferred their excellent home form to away games. A superb coach and captain and a team that work incredibly hard for each other. Right balance of experience and youth. Wales have been ranked in the top 3 for quite some time now.

The only negative for Wales is if they sustain injuries.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.