Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,576 total)
  • Rugby World Cup Thread 2019
  • BruceWee

And the debrief. Townsend must go.

And be replaced by who? What wizard of a coach are we going to conjure that can change the fact that Scotland is not a rugby playing nation.

The fact is it’s still dominated by private schools and guess what, professional rugby is not going to be as lucrative as joining Daddy’s law office.

There is now yet another country on the world stage that is fundamentally better than us. We should get used to it. There will be more.

But yeah, sure. Let’s get a new coach. Why the **** not.

imnotverygood

Japan should replace Italy in the 6 nations

gauss1777
    Free Member

I thought he was the saviour of Scottish rugby? On a serious note who would replace him?

Howley might take the job.

hols2
    Free Member

On a serious note who would replace him?

I’m guessing Jamie Joseph will be getting a few job offers, maybe the Scottish bosses should drop off a suitcase full of cash while they’re over there and see if they can tempt him.

tjagain

Scotland will only ever have a choice of an up and coming young coach, one towards the end of his career or a patriotic scot. Its not a big job in world rugby. However for an up and coming coach its a good job to take as lose – well its only scotland but with a squad playing below their potential right now its a chance to shine. for a coach. Look how much =Scotland have gone backwards under Townsend

One thing that is clear tho is ditching Big Vern and parachuting in Townsend was the mistake we all thought it was.

We have attracted some very good talent into coaching in Scotland over the last few years and there is no reason why not to continue.

Can we have the japanese coaches? 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Japan should replace Italy in the 6 nations

Move S.A. to the 6N, Japan play the southern hemisphere cup, Italy drop to a second division 6N.

akira

For anyone saying Scotland didn’t play well all you’re doing is taking away from how well Japan played. Not Scotland’s best game but three tries and some great defending, we lost to the better team but I can see Japan proving very hard work for any team they play.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Howley might take the job

I’ll have a tenner on that! 😆

mindmap3
    Free Member

Interesting to hear the BBC Scotland coverage after the match today…looking forward to next weekend one of the chaps is looking forward to loosing one of the two most arrogant, moaning caches (Eddie and Cheika), the same guy described Ireland as garbage at the moment… but harsh given the hosing they gave Scotland.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Sentiments are high to provide away for Japan to get more frequent competitive games. It is being mooted including them in the 6 nations. If they were to do that, it might be worth including Georgia at the same time too? What are people’s thoughts? Too many games?

imnotverygood

What wizard of a coach are we going to conjure that can change the fact that Scotland is not a rugby playing nation.

The fact is it’s still dominated by private schools and guess what, professional rugby is not going to be as lucrative as joining Daddy’s law office.

This probably explains why Scotland is so good at footie

richmtb

I don’t think Scotland were particularly bad they were just beaten by a better side.

With the exception of turnovers Japan dominated every contest on the pitch.

Japan show what happens when you get the basics consistently right. Quick ball, accurate passing and good support for the runners in attack. Quick line speed and an accurate and disciplined defense.

duckman

Just back from the Aviemore half, obviously not going to watch that.

tjagain

On restructuring – I have come round to the conclusion that last in the 6N should play off against top of the six nations B

YOu cannot add more teams to it.

Japan – well they should go back to playing the sunwolves in the super 15 – did they not basically withdraw all the internationals from it and get kicked out? then build their case for joining the SH tournament along with a pacific islands lions team making that the SH 6 Nations

hols2
    Free Member

then build their case for joining the SH tournament along with a pacific islands lions team making that the SH 6 Nations

There’s money at stake and SANZAR aren’t going to want less money.

tjagain

Tough. WR needs to take a stand on this and Japan would bring in plenty of money.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Quick line speed and an accurate and disciplined defense.

I’d say general discipline. The Japan side were always under control, not at all like the Scots.

mikey3
    Free Member

So are the sun wolves basically Japan just the the jaguars are Argentina? I didn’t know that

namastebuzz
    Free Member

So are the sun wolves basically Japan

Not really. In recent seasons most top Japanese players stayed contracted to their clubs and didn’t play for the Sunwolves.

However, this year Jamie Joseph became coach of the Sunwolves B team. He had the whole Japanese squad training together and playing the odd game here and there.

Seems to have worked.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

of the chaps is looking forward to loosing one of the two most arrogant, moaning caches (Eddie and Cheika), the same guy described Ireland as garbage at the moment

Peter Wright.

He’s a total neep. What he knows about rugby you could write on the head of a pin and still have space for a whole chip shop menu.

gordimhor

Well done Japan, really fast entertaining rugby, although hanging on a bit at the end they always looked like they had enough in them to win. Scotland didn’t play badly, in fact the defence was really good.

Bit of a baffling choice by Gregor Townsend when he took Tommy Seymour off but left D’Arcy Graham on.

Anyway I have bought a Japan shirt so that will be South Africa through to the semis.

tails
    Free Member

This probably explains why Scotland is so good at footie

They are playing San Marino later, could be a grim day for the scots. At least you’ve got mountains.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Apparently the SRU are now suing the RWC for letting the game go ahead.

Kryton57

Lol ^^

Bit of a comeuppance in that regard.

tjagain

Townsend has failed and his inexperience has been seen clearly. Its not just the WC – its every game since he took over near enough. The second half against England last 6N happened because Finn disobeyed his instructions

Vern Cotter had the team looking hard to beat. Ireland this WC we just looked beaten after 20 mins. Bad selections ( the back row against Ireland) Poorly prepared teams that are just mentally not right. Inept tactics.

WTF are peter Horne and Ryan wilson doing in the team? Why did Graham not play against ireland when we needed a fast strike runner? Why did we not have a counter to the obvious tactics from Ireland?

Why have so many of our players look disinterested and out of form?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Vern Cotter had the team looking hard to beat.

There’s those rose tinted specs again. Scotland had a 53% win rate under Vern Cotter.

tjagain

Its not rose tinted specs. He had the team looking hard to beat. I never saw the heads go down under him. compared to how they played against Ireland where they looked like a beaten team after 20 mins? How many tier one teams have we beaten under Townsend. We are going backwards

gauss1777
    Free Member

Apologies Tj I missed the ‘looking’. I think you’re right in that perception is important. It’s difficult to see how Scotland should move forward. It wouldn’t appear so bad if Townsend didn’t talk the side up so much and then make excuses when they lose. Perhaps if he said he and Scotland were on a medium/long term journey together.

gauss1777
    Free Member

My thoughts on the likelihood of winning the QFs

QF1 Sat 19th 08:15 Eng 65% v Aus 35%
    QF2 Sat 19th 11:15 Nz 80% v Ire 20%
    QF3 Sun 20th 08:15 Fra 45% v Wal 55%
    QF4 Sun 20th 11:15 Sa 60% v Jap 40%

Your thoughts?

anagallis_arvensis

Much as I hate to say it Scotland and Wales are pretty similar talent wise and Ireland have much more but Wales have a top quality head coach and defence coach and have won more than both despite not really doing as well against the big boys. Townsend has not got close to maximising the talent and I expect Wales to be a bit shit for a while once Gatland goes….especially if AWJ retires!

tjagain

I would agree AA – under Cotter ( and for the first few games under Townsend when it was still Cotters team) we were starting to look like we could play to potential. 3 wins in the 6N, just missed out on a semi in the WC, stomped Aus into the dust, ran NZ close. 4th ( or 5th?) in the rankings. Been a steady slide for the last two years since then. The players are better and should be at their peak. So why? Townsend has to carry the can and he knows that

nickjb
    Free Member

Your thoughts?

Pretty similar. I think I’d give Wales and SA a bit more chance but that was my final 4 after the opening matches.

BruceWee

Much as I hate to say it Scotland and Wales are pretty similar talent wise and Ireland have much more but Wales have a top quality head coach and defence coach and have won more than both despite not really doing as well against the big boys. Townsend has not got close to maximising the talent and I expect Wales to be a bit shit for a while once Gatland goes….especially if AWJ retires!

The comparison with Wales is actually quite interesting.

Country Clubs Players Referees Under 13 Teens Senior males

Scotland 251 38500 360 9541 15009 11687
    Wales 250 50557 2053 12318 14500 22408

(Edit: This forum really doesn’t lend itself to tables.)

At a glance it looks like the playing numbers are almost the same. However, when you look at the number of senior males (22,408 vs 11687) and, possibly more importantly, referees (2053 vs 360) the difference between Welsh and Scottish rugby becomes apparent. Adults in Scotland don’t play rugby. The culture is not there.

There is undoubtedly talent in the Scottish side but the depth will never be there. Injuries or just having an off day is always going to lead to Scotland having a bad day

lycanthropefailed
    Free Member

Your thoughts?

SA 75% JPN 25%
    Fra 5% Wal 95%

I reckon that SA will just bash and kick like they did in the warm-up game rather than try to play Japan at their own game. If they do try to run it then Japan could easily win.

It’s so long since France turned up for a game against really good opposition for more than 20 minutes that they are the nearest thing to a bye that I can imagine at this level. The game against Argentina was woeful from both teams and they were only a refereeing decision or two away from losing to Tonga.

tjagain

The depth in the scottish team is not actually that bad nowadays – much better than it used to be.

We know what this group of players can do – look to the last WC and the year or two after it and we have good players coming thru. now that we didn’t have then like G Horne, Darcy Graham. Jamie Ritchie and guys like ickle jonny, Hogg, Russell should right at the top of their careers

OK we only have two teams in the pro 14 compared to Wales 4 – but we regularly beat them and finish higher.

So Wales international team is stronger than the pro 14 teams would suggest but Scotland international team is weaker than the pro 14 results suggest

It has to be down to coaching and selection. Townsend is wanting on both counts. WTF were we doing playing such a lightweight back row against Ireland when we had a couple of big strong young lads to come in? Why did Graham not start? The recovery against England last year was because Russell took charge and refused to play Townsends tactics in the second half.

tjagain

I think Japan will beat SA. I really do. SA will not be able to cope with their speed and will not be able to outscore them. Its their speed to the breakdown and their organisation that will win them the game. Its something I have been banging on about for years. speed is the key to modern rugby – over the ground and between the ears and Japan are the fastest team in rugby right now on both counts. You never get a chance to regroup, there is no respite and their defense aligns so quickly there is never a gap to exploit

I wouldn’t be surprised if Aus beat England as well

bruk

Been busy since I watched the game this morning. Very glad the game went ahead and I’m sure a lot of work went into it.

Japan have played fantastic rugby and deserved to win and go through to the next round as group winners. I can see them beating South Africa but it’ll be closer than the Scottish or Irish games. If they manage that I’d see them getting to the final.

As a proud Scot I was hopeful of a Calcutta Cup style comeback but never believed we would get enough points to win it once the Japanese scored their bonus point try. We can produce moments of brilliance but too often we lack the basic structure to create the space. I’m sure the players could be coached better and brought more together. Edinburgh and Glasgow are the main teams now but still a lack of professional rugby in the borders is an issue. If the Sru has balanced its books now then now is the time to invest in teams and players.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Very glad the game went ahead and I’m sure a lot of work went into it.

Have a look here

ctk
    Free Member

ENG VS AUS 50/50

NZ VS IRE 85/15

FRA vs WAL 25/75

SA VS JAP 60/40

bruk

Thanks Namaste. Shows just how much effort it took to get the match to take place.

Kind of wishing I had bought that Japan shirt now. Bet they are all sold out now!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,481 through 1,520 (of 2,576 total)

The topic ‘Rugby World Cup Thread 2019’ is closed to new replies.