Rugby Thread 2018/19

• This topic has 2,862 replies, 105 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by  tjagain.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,863 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2018/19
  • Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

My father has just told me that there are weather warnings that Ireland is about to be hit by Storm Gareth.

Ireland might not be as worried about Wales as England are but we’ve done well recently.

22-9

16 all away

23-16

5plusn8

I am convinced Wales will beat Ireland, they have been clinical throughout. They never looked worried against us and I think Gatland is a master tactician.
    I also would not be surprised to see Scotland make life very hard for England.
    As usual the 6N makes for a great competition I am glad there are still permutations at this stage.
    The problem is the Wales game will fix it too early in the day. They will win and the rest of the competition becomes boring then. I’d rather it was last.

They will win and the rest of the competition becomes boring then

I wish I shared your certainty!!

5plusn8

This was my prediction before, when you all said England had no chance of beating Ireland…
    That and Scotland performance have been my only correct calls.

Ireland 4 wins. Lose to England by 1 -3 points so Ire get losers BP
    Wales 4 wins. Lose to Ireland.
    France 3 wins. Lose to Ireland and Wales Try BP against Italy and Scotland
    England 3 or 2 wins. Lose to Wales and France, may lose to Scotland, but it will be super close and embarrassing for England.
    Scotland 0 or 1 or 2. May win against Italy, may beat England.
    Italy 0 or 1 wins. May beat Scotland but losers BP to England who struggle to prove they can even beat Italy who will look soooooo close.

Rugby Thread 2018/19

5plusn8

In fact, I am going to put a bet on Scotland beating England. By 1-3 points.

BruceWee

What odds did you get?

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Wales have never lost a GS decider played in Cardiff! (Like they’ve never lost to England in a year ending in 9, and Adam Beard has never lost in a Welsh shirt, this means the game is already won. 😂 )

Apologies to all Scots. I said up there ^ that they have not beaten England for over a decade. I obviously blanked out a game for some reason. ☺️

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

There’s a few people on here that could possibly look very silly Saturday night.  As I had low expectations of my own national team I’d already practised my Irish accent and am warming it up again.

There’s a few people on here that could possibly look very silly Saturday night

Believe me whatever he result I will be looking silly!!

mindmap3

Robson is out of Saturday’S game due to illness with Ben Spencer being called up as a replacement.

Robson can’t seem to catch a break on the international stage. It’s worrying that our back up scrum halves are pretty short on experience given that Care has proved many times that he’s not a starting mine and is best suited to being a sub.

Tom B

Scrum half situation is a bit of a nightmare heading into the RWC.

Scrum half situation is a bit of a nightmare heading into the RWC.

Same with Wales Gareth Davies playing shit v Scotland and then Aled Davies came on to be even worse. Shame Tomos Williams got injured.

Webb will have a contract with Bedwas in time for the world cup, AA.

Tom B

I get the feeling Rhys Webb will improve your situation somewhat! Surely he’s going to pack in a Toulon?! Otherwise, yeah I’d say we look better than you at 9.

Webb will have a contract with Bedwas in time for the world cup, AA.

I hope so!!

gauss1777

Should Wales scrap the 60 cap rule?

DanW

It’s an arbitrary copy of other nations’ rules but if there is money for decent central contracts then it makes sense to keep it. If you are expecting players to stay in Wales but paying them peanuts then it is a little one sided. That said, those players who have gone abroad in recent years have been a shadow of their former selves and only really started to get back in to form having come back so I can absolutely see the need for control over game time to build form and ensure they aren’t just bench warmers, but also not over use the poor guys. There’s no easy answer and it does seem to be that as a Welsh player you can either have money or be really looked after and hit form but it is tough to do both.

It probably wouldn’t hurt to have Webb as an option but he hasn’t been on fire. It also doesn’t help that he seems to be keen to tell anyone who will listen that he is easily the best Welsh 9 and would stroll in to the team. I can’t see Gatland being enamored with that attitude, nor the circumstances with his move to Toulon

DanW

When you look at pairings too, Webb and Biggar are a pretty similar match with more of a controlled game with a bit of snipe, which is a bit of a backward step for Wales and probably isn’t best suited to Japan, at least not as starters. Williams/ Anscombe and A Davies/ Patchell are the direction the team would probably want to go in but while the first was working the second has so little form and game time. It is a real shame IMO that Patchell hasn’t has the run Anscombe has but that is just the nature of injuries and I guess he is now more likely to be cover at 15 if anything now. I’ve said it before but I really believe he could be a 2011-esque Priestland who really got Wales moving and was key to their success. I guess the outcome of those musing is Williams/ Anscombe as starters with Webb/ Biggar on the bench is probably the ideal???

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Should Wales scrap the 60 cap rule?

The WRU are pressing for a north Wales region, which is a four hour drive from Cardiff. Meanwhile if a player signs for Bristol, Bath or a London club they won’t play for Wales, despite all of those clubs being easier to get to than bloody Colwyn Bay! It can’t be much longer to get to Toulon from Cardiff by plane?

Tom B

Webb forme is a class above…..I’d say he’s clear 2nd choice Lions scrum half. Yes he’s not been in great form, but name me a Toulon player that has?! Whole environment seems to be a total joke.

The WRU are pressing for a north Wales region, which is a four hour drive from Cardiff. Meanwhile if a player signs for Bristol, Bath or a London club they won’t play for Wales, despite all of those clubs being easier to get to than bloody Colwyn Bay!

Think you have missed the point, the two arent related and its nowt to do with distance.

DanW

Whole environment seems to be a total joke.

Therin lies the problem of a player moving to a club outside Wales- no control of how game time/ workload/ injuries/ etc are managed not to mention being called back to the club in certain weeks where the rest of the Welsh squad would stay together

Premier Icon sprocker
    Subscriber

Tuilagi just resigned for Leicester

Tom B

Ooh I’d heard rumour of it happening. To be fair as long as he stays vaguely fit (huge ask I know) he could always cash in over in France in another couple of years. RWC and Lions 2021 will both be huge targets for him. Given his history I just can’t see him making it to the 2023 RWC even though he still won’t be that old!

mindmap3

Glad to here that Manu is staying put and will be available for England (assuming that he can stay fit).

tinybits

I’m somewhat surprised – it’s not like he’s going to win anything with Leicester, would have stilll been able to do this World Cup and was still eliigable for the lions!
    Very happy though as a Tuilagi fan boy (love all the bothers) and massive Leicester fan!

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Just found out my daughter has a birthday party to go to at 4pm on Saturday – right in the middle of the game FFS.

loum

Rumour is that Joe’s continuing to select for ” a slightly different brief” building depth for Japan.
    Young lad Tagh Beirne getting a run out at lock on Saturday.

TimP

Joe Cokanasiga dropped from the matchday 23??

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Back to the kick & chase game.

Don’t forget, Nowell is pretty decent…

Unchanged.

tinybits

At the moment, Nowell is the better player. Not as exciting, but all round, better.

Worrying lack of depth at scrum half for England as well, but at least we’ve now got centres!

I fancy Wales for the Grand Slam, England for the win at Twickers, but would have gone for Scotland in Murryfield.

Tom B

Surprised that Cock and a cigar isn’t even on the bench, surely he’s the very definition of an ‘impact sub’ (finisher 😂)

Otherwise, as expected…..I’m expecting a comfortable England win still.

DanW

I wonder what plays Ireland have dreamt up for the weekend? I hope they don’t take inspiration from this 😀

https://www.rugbydump.com/news/backs-take-over-to-perfectly-execute-genius-lineout-move

DanW

Young lad Tagh Beirne getting a run out at lock on Saturday.

Bad news for Wales as he’s a heck of a player. Henderson is a PITA too so I’m not sure either is great to line up against 🙂

loum

Ireland (v Wales)

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Keith Earls
    13. Garry Ringrose
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rory Best (captain)
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Tadhg Beirne
    5. James Ryan
    6. Peter O’Mahony
    7. Sean O’Brien
    8. CJ Stander

Replacements

16. Niall Scannell
    17. Dave Kilcoyne
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Jack Carty
    23. Jordan Larmour

loum

Confirmed Beirne in, Henderson injured.
    Right game for it with his background.
    And Joe’s still spreading the Caps around ahead of Japan. Building nicely.
    Slam chasing Wales still strong favourites at home on their winning streak, but that team should give them a good game with the pressure off.

😉

Tom B

That Ireland team looks so good on paper, really looking forward to that game as for me it’s just too close to call

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,863 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.