Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 3,061 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2018/19
  • anagallis_arvensis

Jackman sacked by the Dregs, I’m sure quality replacements are polishing their cv’s across the globe!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

Not sure its on the telly box though
    🙁

Coincidence that the chosen one returns as soon as coach sacked?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Toulouse v Wasps was a belter of a game!

Caher

Those Castres players are quite had tempered. Lots off stuff off the ball too.

DanW
    Free Member

I thought Navidi was looking good again today. Fingers crossed he can stay fit for Wales

tjagain

Another good win for Glasgow. Can Edinburgh follow their example tomorrow? glasgow now look fairly likely to qualify.

tjagain

So what is going to be the English excuse this year and what changes are they going to push for in future? Sarries the only english team with a positive points difference and the only probable 1/4 finalists – tho Newcastle could join them if they give Edinburgh a thumping today – which is certainly possible

mindmap3
    Free Member

There is no excuse TJ. We’re well off the pace in Europe.

Wasps have spunked all their money on superstars and now there are injuries there isn’t enough depth, Tigers well the less said about themthe better, Bath are perennial underachievers and Exeter need a more dynamic game plan other than driving mauls.

tjagain

The excuse used to be that the pro 14 had it too easy with no relegation and guaranteed qualification. Last year it was “lions hangover” This year? I don’t really mean from the fans – I mean from the PRL

Wasps have spunked all their money on superstars and now there are injuries there isn’t enough depth,

I really think this is the critical one – and applies to the welsh as well IMO but as finances are opaque at best so its hard to know. Moriarty cost half a million. Glasgow would have used that money for 2 or 3 players. Highest paid scot is rumoured to be Hogg on £300 000 pa

the “Leinster lesson” is that you need a squad of 35 or so players who can rotate seamlessly. Glasgow have done their best to copy this on a budget 2/3rds the size and its stood them in good stead. With the number of games being played you simply cannot have a first 23 any more. You need a 35+ squad with no huge droppoff in quality even if that means your “first team” is a bit weaker it means over the season your average team is stronger

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah but Hogg is off to England for a bit of extra cash isn’t he….

Finn and Greig over in France, host of others already in the prem.

I’d say that the problem for the English clubs this year is that other than Sarries and Exeter, all other teams are bang average!

tjagain

Yes thats right. We cannot afford 700 000+ for a player – thats 15% of our budgets. Or we could have kept finn – and lost 3 or 4 squad players.

Thats the lesson – want a deep squad don’t spend all your money on one star – spread it wide. Glasgow are stronger for having the two Horne brothers, and two Fagerson brothers than one Finn

Glasgow have around 5 million total budget for players. You need 35 players of a decent standard. You cannot blow all your budget on a few stars.

tjagain

Fine piece of skill from Huw Jones here

dantsw13

Tom B has it – simply aren’t good enough. The English domestic game is so self centred its doomed. The interview with North – going home to play domestically in Wales allows him to play less games and recover properly – says it all really.

Whilst England has player depth, the clubs don’t, as we have too many teams. The top players get thrashed, as they spend so long away,when they return to club, they want their pound of flesh.

It’s no coincidence that the rise of IRE followed the concentration of talent in a small number of strong teams, well augmented with high quality imports.

I can’t quite answer why the welsh domestic teams aren’t having the success of GLA/MUN/LEI/ULS. Is there a lack of money in the Welsh game for proper squads?

As for the French teams, well that’s purely money.

Does anybody have the stats for the amount of games played by the different nations domestic teams?

mindmap3
    Free Member

Sarries are going well but they need to manage their player’s workload because Mako, Itoje, Farrell etc are playing an awful lot and run the risk of being shagged come the end of the season especially if they’re still in Europe.

The English teams don’t appear to be great at promoting from the academy. Bath stand out for this. Sarries ironically having been dubbed Saffacens do seem better than others. The likes of Leinster appear to have a bloody good academy system that produces good players. The English club game is so self centred, it genuinely thinks that it’s the best league in the world despite the European performances and that of the national team. It doesn’t give a shit about the players.

tjagain

English clubs have a LOT more money than the pro 14 teams- even the richest of the pro 14

Money is not the only answer. In the last couple of seasons Glasgow have beaten several top french clubs.

anagallis_arvensis

I really think this is the critical one – and applies to the welsh as well IMO but as finances are opaque at best so its hard to know. Moriarty

Wales second choice 8 or 6 is hardly an 8nternational superstar like LeRoux. Moriarty went to the Dregs as he was physically broken and wanted to be managed so he could play for Wales. The welsh regions dont do well in Europe as they dont have enough good players not too many. You could argue tgey’d do better in Pro14 if they had more second rate SH journeymen but then our international team would be as shit as Scotland.

anagallis_arvensis

I can’t quite answer why the welsh domestic teams aren’t having the success of GLA/MUN/LEI/ULS. Is there a lack of money in the Welsh game for proper squads?

Yes, thats why we flog the 4 match autumn internationals. Ireland have more money and scotland have more as they only have two teams and pack them full of mercs.

tjagain

AA – the welsh teams budgets are the same as the scots. Scots teams are hardly packed full of mercenaries either.

Paying half a million for a player like Moriarty is why you have no squad depth. No one in Scotland is paid that much so we have more to spread round the squads. That and developing youngsters and giving them game time. Would G Horne be playing if he was welsh? Nope ‘cos so old hand would be in the position . Glasgow had no choice. Can’t afford another 9

the scots teams only bring in overseas players in positions we cannot fill by scots.

One advantage scotland have tho is everything is run for the same end

tjagain

Anyone watching Racing / Tigers? Classic Russell! In the first half he has: Knocked on a long kick, missed touch with a pen, made two tries, given away a soft penalty and made good goal kicks. ~At least he is consistent!

anagallis_arvensis

AA – the welsh teams budgets are the same as the scots. Scots teams are hardly packed full of mercenaries either.

Really, do you have proof or any evidence?

Paying half a million for a player like Moriarty is why you have no squad depth.

Do you have any evidence to suggest he cost 1/2 a million?

Would G Horne be playing if he was welsh? Nope ‘cos so old hand would be in the position

Yeah because the regions are packed full of these old players clogging up the system and Wales just cant get young players game time which is why the Welsh team is so old, like ****. Do get a grip TJ you are talking cobblers.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stats tho

tjagain

What is the welsh clubs spend – the cap IIRC that all bar the dragons reach is 4.5 million. Plus they get players part or all paid for by the WRU. so say 5 million + for the players budget. glasgow have 5.5 million to spend on players. Edinburgh 4.8 this year.

So no difference in spending.

I was told on another forum that Moriarty is the top paid Welsh club player on 500 000. I don’t actually believe that. I think thats not including those who get part or all paid by the WRU. top paid scot is Hogg on £300 000

Yes the welsh teams are clogged up with older players due to the desire to have all the internationals playing in Wales. Look at the teenage debuts in the scots teams. Just of thd top of my head and over the last couple of years teenagers playing for the scots team. Both Fagerson brothers, George Horne. Blair Kinghorn

I just get sick of the constant excuses from Welsh fans that they are disadvantaged by lack of money when they have as much as The Scots teams. Stop making excuses for your poor buying, wage structure and lack of success.

anagallis_arvensis

Edinburgh 4.8 this year.

So Edinburgh do worse than Scarlets with about the same budget and not much better than the dregs with about 1.2 million more.

Yes the welsh teams are clogged up with older players due to the desire to have all the internationals playing in Wales

Such as? You example of Moriarty above is a bit shit as he’s about 25.
    When Scotland and Glasgow and Edinburgh start winning stuff come back and tell us how to do it.

tjagain

How you doing in the pro 14 and euro cup AA?

anyway Enough bickering. Enjoy Edinbughs win in the euro cup 😉 Actually not much to enjoy really. Rather more of what I have seen described as thud and blunder!

anagallis_arvensis

How you doing in the pro 14 and euro cup AA?

Shite but hey ho. When did Scotland last win anything?

Yes the welsh teams are clogged up with older players due to the desire to have all the internationals playing in Wales

Like Biggar, Webb, Faletau, Charteris, Cuthbert, Beck, Owen Williams, Roberts, Adams, Priestland, Francis, Liam Williams, Young all clogging up the welsh…oh hang on

tjagain

Calcutta cup count? 😉

There is something there to unpick tho Wales international team are better than Scotland but in the pro 14 its the other way round? Actually Edinburgh are shite in the pro 14 this year again. Lost more games already than they did last year. a fair chance both will be in the 1/4s of the european cap.

We will get you in the six nations. I have arranged to have some dodgy prawn sandwiches delivered 😉

anagallis_arvensis

There is something there to unpick tho Wales international team are better than Scotland but in the pro 14 its the other way round?

Not really, Glasgow and Scarlets on a similar level over last few season whilst Edinburgh are barely better than the Dregs. Your narrative about Wales not blooding young players as all the international players play in Wales is plain wrong.

mindmap3
    Free Member

So Tigers appoint Murphy as head coach full time despite a shit run of results. I know some of the issues they have at the moment are not of his making but they really need to stop looking at old players to become head coach. Something is very wrong with the set up there and it needs to evolve. Constantly using ex-players with little or no coaching experience isn’t going to bring the needed evolution.

tjagain

Well its the 1872 cup game this weekend ( Edinburgh V Glasgow) first game I am going to go to this season. Its the time of year when all faux friendliness along the M8 is suspended. the only problem is this years its before xmas and I am going to the match with my parents who are Weegie fans! Now do I cheer on Edinburgh – the greatest team in Scotland – and risk no pressies? Of swallow my pride and some buckfast and cheer for Glasgow to keep in the folks good books? Heart V pecuniary advantage? Morals V money? What would STW do?

Really looking forward to the game – it always adds a bit of spice and a good performance can put you in the frame for the national side for the 6N.

dantsw13

Errrm, cheer for your team???

mindmap3
    Free Member

Which team has the best stats? 😉

anagallis_arvensis

At least not all the welsh teams can lose this weekend.. actually think Ospreys cpuld well beat Scarlets, which makes me sad 🙁

mindmap3
    Free Member

Premiership rugby has sold it’s soul, selling a stake to CVC for more than £200m…

No doubt none of the clubs will invest in growing their clubs or improving infrastructure. I can’t help but heel that they’ll spunk all the extra cash on big name SH players looking for a pension top up. It’ll no doubt end in tears when CVC want a return on the cash pumped in.

anagallis_arvensis

Bit gutted for the Dregs!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed. They played so well considering being down to 14.

Not a great game, mind you.

Stoner
    Free Member

Just back in from Sixways, and well, that was truly **** atrocious.
    Worst of historic Wuss. Only redeeming feature was the scrum shat all over Saints. Apart from that, terrible day at the office for key players. Weir well off form, Heem and Adams were insipid – awful decision making by both. Defensive line speed was shite and the pack were off with the fairies half the time. Cant blame Mr Barnes despite the fact he was a bit wobbly in the first 15 minutes. Saints six looked like he took a bang to the chin and was concussed. Biggar needed his HIA too, but looks like he got back on OK.

Crap game to lose to as that drops us down into the mire again. It will take some bloody amazing results to get back up to safety. Bollocks. Im going to bed grumpy now.

Bear
    Free Member

Can’t win your own line out, going to struggle….

Stoner
    Free Member

Quite. Line out went to pot away against Bath, then it was 100% perfect against Quins at home, now it’s gone a bit ropey again. TBF they won a lot of their line outs in midfield but key ones in the oppo 22 all went wrong. Not to mention pinged for illegal mauling too FFS.

PS. ‘ello Bear. Merry xmas etc.

Bear
    Free Member

Hello Mr Stoner! Happy festive times to you too! Hows the official Malvern trail?

I only saw the first 50 mins but their ball retention and decision making in the oppo 22 was terrible, the line out especially.

Why did Gus Mackay leave the club?

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 3,061 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2018/19’ is closed to new replies.