Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 3,061 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2018/19
  • jag61

@danW
    there is a lot of women and girls now playing with numbers rising There should be more womens rugby on the BBC. Also I dont think shoulder to the face is confined to the womens game? Hair Tackles can be a bit of an issue, not always deliberate and should be penalised as a high tackle ( it often gets a bit fighty after a few hair tackles) Got 2 long haired daughters 17,& 23 playing love watching them..

anagallis_arvensis

Ulster going well, which is a shame!

DanW
    Free Member

there is a lot of women and girls now playing with numbers rising There should be more womens rugby on the BBC. Also I dont think shoulder to the face is confined to the womens game? Hair Tackles can be a bit of an issue, not always deliberate and should be penalised as a high tackle ( it often gets a bit fighty after a few hair tackles) Got 2 long haired daughters 17,& 23 playing love watching them..

@jag61
    I think you misunderstood my post. I was merely pointing out there was rugby to be watched for lazy layabouts who should be working but are easily distracted like me and that the game had some pretty brutal aspects that would have caused uproar in the men’s game but the girls toughed it out without the merest of complaints! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well played Ulster.

anagallis_arvensis

Good game shame about result. BlindMelon will be pleased. Scarlets too light upfront, as usual.

tjagain

Edinburgh win! top of their european cup pool. How did that happen?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yip very happy with that result. I didn’t see it unfortunately but will be at Ravers next Friday. It’s also the Christmas work do starting at 3 so not sure I’ll see much rugby.

Then Racing at home and Tigers away. Should win them all

DanW
    Free Member

Scarlets too light upfront, as usual.

Normal service is resumed 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Losing Byrne, Barcay, Shingler, Davies, Ball and Shingler for most of the season has had a massive impact. Was good to see Davies back last night, shame Ball was still concussed from that nasty Scots prop.

DanW
    Free Member

Absolutely. Beirne and Barclay in particular were immense and almost impossible to replace

ElVino

Well played Gloucester, most toothless Exeter performance in years at home.

dantsw13

Bath have turned up today against Leinster – good first half.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well played Leinster.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I know it wasn’t the biggest game of the day, but regardless of what team they put out, getting 50 on Stade is quite a result for the Ospreys!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Wasps were totally spineless (again). They really seem to be missing Cipriani. Good result for Gloucester today who have most definitely developed a backbone; Thorley had another good game. Bath actually didn’t do too badly against Leinster who I expected to dick them.

Not seen the other matches, just the scores.

tjagain

Good win for Glasgow as well – that bonus point is very useful and thats Lyon right out of it. Can blues do Glasgow a favour and beat Sarries – after all after meeting the mighty Glasgow 3 of Sarries best forwards are out crocked 😉

I still canot get over Edinburgh being at the top of their group.

dantsw13

Leinster are so good at finding a way to win.

I felt for Bath & Wilson (3rd choice 10) today. The game turned in the intercept try. Advantage to Bath – Wilson throws a risky pass & doesn’t hear Reynards “Acv over” call. Good intercept by Lamour.

Reynard was far too quick to call Adv Over all game imho – although he was consistent. Leinster roll on, but Bath looking better than I’ve seen for a long time.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

#flaggate 😀

Hope Bruce enjoyed the result.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cockers has apparently emerged as a surprise contender to replace Jones according to the Telegraph. He’s ok north of the border but surely there is a better catch than him…

DanW
    Free Member

felt for Bath & Wilson (3rd choice 10) today. The game turned in the intercept try. Advantage to Bath – Wilson throws a risky pass & doesn’t hear Reynards “Acv over” call. Good intercept by Lamour.

Reynard was far too quick to call Adv Over all game imho – although he was consistent. Leinster roll on, but Bath looking better than I’ve seen for a long time.

I can’t stand advantage calls like that… really pees me off and I have a great deal of sympathy for that pass. It was what, the third pass and a matter of seconds after the overthrow with no advantage gained? It is a reasonable enough gamble to go for the long pass and should be exactly the point of playing advantage

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Time for the Gallagher Premiership to call for a new European Competition where English sides can decide for themselves when advantage is over.

DanW
    Free Member

I’ve got no love for English rugby but a 3s advantage with no advantage gained is a bit shitty (I mean in general as a player not specifically this match). Advantage over was called as the pass was being made to the 10 so you have to feel for the poor guy who either didn’t hear or had already seen the option and didn’t pull out in time.

anagallis_arvensis

Wouldnt hold your breath TJ, Cardiff have picked a pretty weak team, especially behind the scrum.

mindmap3
    Free Member

AA – Cardiff are doing well though and are leading Sarries at the mo. Nice try from Morgan too.

theotherjonv

Watching Cardiff – Saracens, another rugby numpty question.

The non-try because of foot in touch. Could he (technically, not sure he had time in this specific case) throw himself a pass so he isn’t holding the ball while he steps in touch. Does it have to go backwards? Is it a knock on if it doesn’t touch the ground (I’m sure I’ve seen someone genuine fumble / juggle a pass or kick but recover it and play on)

DanW
    Free Member

Good Q. My instinct is no and a quick Google gives this (edit: updated from the current laws (https://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11)

Law 11.7 says: “A player must not intentionally throw or pass the ball forward. Sanction: Penalty.”

theotherjonv

intuition says not but I guess it’s the deliberate rather than accidental makes the offence, as I say I’ve seen a few fumbled catches recovered.

Shame, it’s one of the best bits of One Day cricket now!!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well played Munster.

anagallis_arvensis

The non-try because of foot in touch. Could he (technically, not sure he had time in this specific case) throw himself a pass so he isn’t holding the ball while he steps in touch.

Yep, Shane Willuams did it for Wales once. Caught the ball in field chucked it backwards in the air, stepped into touch than back in field and caught it again. Not seen the game you are talking about though, been out

theotherjonv

OK, but backwards – this was full tilt after a bouncing ball, the ball went over the line but wasn’t out because it was still in the air but as he pulled it back in his next step touched the line; if he’d bunted it forward with his hand and then caught it further along he could have been back in play.

anagallis_arvensis

At about 1.50ish mins. If you dont touch it while you are out of play and you catch it before it hits the ground its fine.

dantsw13

Nearly a big boo-boo by Sir Nigel in the Racing/Tigers match – he went wentvto the TMO to check after the conversion had been taken – he didn’t notice the quick conversion. Luckily he said “Try” anyhow, not sure what would have happened if he’d disallowed post conversion?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well played Racing92. I’m sure Zebo will have enjoyed running one in against the Tiggers.

tjagain

On the advantage issue above – was it a scrum advantage or a penalty advantage? A scrum advantage is over when you have controlled possession usually.

Glasgow got diddled on an advantage the other week – penalty advantage on the oppositions 10 m line, glasgow carried on playing, made about 10 m in 3 rucks, advantage over called and then they lost the ball. That one was very harsh as if they had taken the penalty they could have kicked it right into the corner.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think with a penalty advantage, the team with possession just has to go for a scoring opportunity; grubber kick, crossfield kick, whatever, or if they’re happy with it, a DG. Rumbling through the phases for too long just invites the “advantage over” call.

tjagain

so how did Finn do for Racing?

Are Racing still rubbish as apparently they were last season when Glasgow Gubbed them? 😉

duckman

Bath really are tossers, you would think that after childishly demanding a replay they might tone it down,but no. Leinster flags brought over by the supporters club were confiscated as a fire hazard, Bath fans flags were obviously waved through.

IdleJon

The non-try because of foot in touch. Could he (technically, not sure he had time in this specific case) throw himself a pass so he isn’t holding the ball while he steps in touch. Does it have to go backwards? Is it a knock on if it doesn’t touch the ground (I’m sure I’ve seen someone genuine fumble / juggle a pass or kick but recover it and play on)

About twenty years some of the Welsh players started doing something similar (including throwing the ball up and heading it forward then attempting to catch it). It was ruled that a deliberate throw forward wasn’t allowed, even if it was controlled/caught. That was at Welsh Premiership level. A Leicester player at home could probably get away with it any day of the week. 🙂

tjagain

Heading the ball was a law change after an all black scored a try by heading it forward. Law changed after than – maybe 20 years ago

mindmap3
    Free Member

Duckman – didn’t you know that Leinster flags are more flammable than Bath ones?

Bit of a dick move by Bath that.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 3,061 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2018/19’ is closed to new replies.