Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 3,061 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2018/19
  • anagallis_arvensis

I do like the way you get in SA look knackered – just getting your excuses in first in case Scotland win?

Not at all, same reason for Wales beating Aus.

IdleJon

We have this fast and loose gameplan which suits the players and gets wins but against SA we decide to go toe to toe.

We should run them ragged for 60mins then apply the pressure.

The current SA team might be big and physical, but they are also quick and pretty fit. The backs are very quick in broken play. This year they have tended to concede points at the beginning of games and win them at the end. Trying to run them ragged would probably play into the way they currently like playing.

DanW
    Free Member

What’s the Scottish feeling on Horne at 12? Every time I watch him play (for Scotland mostly) it seems a miracle he was picked. Seems to have a knack for a brainless blunder at every crucial moment. Are there really none of the other wonder centres fit?

You’ve got to be happy to not see Faf on the team sheet too! A tough task for Scotland but they’ve got to feel in with a shout

DanW
    Free Member

Not sure if this has already been posted but Welsh side for Tonga:

Jonah Holmes; Liam Williams, Tyler Morgan, Owen Watkin, Steff Evans; Dan Biggar, Tomos Williams; Wyn Jones, Elliot Dee, Leon Brown, Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Aaron Wainwright, Ellis Jenkins (capt), Seb Davies.

Replacements: Ryan Elias, Rob Evans, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Ross Moriarty, Aled Davies, Rhys Patchell, Josh Adams.

It will probably be a scrappy mess of a game but I am genuinely excited to see what the individuals in this team can do at the weekend.

tjagain

Peter Horne very much divides opinion amongst scots fans.  Myself I like him.  A very wholehearted player, good defensively, very elusive runner, handy back up 10.  However he has made some high profile blunders in attack taking the wrong options and meaning scores are missed.  Also has created a lot of scoring opportunities.

the whole team seems better when he is on the pitch somehow.  A second playmaker at 12 does work it seems.  also a versitile player who can play pretty much anything from 10-15

Other scots fans will tell you he should never be near the international side again and are angry about his inclusion

I don’t think he will get many more chances however

tjagain

We do have a lot of broken centres most of who most of us would prefer to be playing.  townsend is trying out combinations in this series.

IdleJon

With that team, if Wales start to lose against Tonga there is no-one they can bring off the bench to impose themselves. (I’m struggling to think of a different way of saying what I’m thinking here..)

Edit : and they’ve got Holmes and Moriarty! 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

With that team, if Wales start to lose against Tonga there is no-one they can bring off the bench to impose themselves.

Evans, Elias and Francis off the bench should ensure scrum dominance. Patchel would increase the running threat at 10 or add an extra play maker at 15. Moriarty too could up it but I hope and expect he wont be called on unless its an emergency as he is our only 8 and he’s really a 6.

They should beat Tonga fairly comfortably.

anagallis_arvensis

He agrees with me re offside line.

DanW
    Free Member

Good player, very good player… almost 40% as good as AWJ 😀

Really great video as always

Kryton57

Good Vid 🙂

Have you seen the oddity that is this weeks England team.   I hope we win, bloody hell.  Although, I think some lesson have been learned – 2 days rest for all players and benched senior players.   He’s making sure he’s in the best place to make statement against Australia if you ask me.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Love a bit of Squidge!

anagallis_arvensis

Although, I think some lesson have been learned – 2 days rest for all players and benched senior players.   He’s making sure he’s in the best place to make statement against Australia if you ask me.

Trying to recreate the world cup and rest player whilst making sure of a good win.

Kryton57

That’s a good point.

anagallis_arvensis

Saw these on another site and thought it deserved a repost!

anagallis_arvensis

DanW
    Free Member

I’d forgotten about that! Brutal

It does also remind me of one obvious omission from the team sheet for these kind of games… normally Gatland selects Hook out of the blue to get smashed for 80 minutes 😀

mrhoppy

It will probably be a scrappy mess of a game

I can guarantee that as I’ll be there.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Jones’s team this week makes sense; teams will need to be rotated in the WC and against a lower ranked teams would be the time to do it. Pleased for Ted Hill to earn a place on the bench following a good season so far with Wuss. At 19 he’s got a bright future and strengthens our back row options.

Watched Gloucester vs Tigers tonight; thought Gloucester’s attack was very impressive martialed by Cipriani who had a cracking game. His role in the disallowed try was brilliant. Tigers were shit and their backs generally looked slow and dimwitted compared to Gloucester’s. Watching Cipriani tonight it does seem nuts that his not getting picked by Jones given his vision in attack plus he can kick his goals unlike Ford.

ads678

Gloucester did look good but to be fair to Tigers (yes I am a fan) they had their entire first choice back line out on international duty or injured. Youngs, Ford, Tuilagi and May away with England, Toomua with Aus, Holmes with Wales and veainu injured. Add to that polota-nau with Aus, Ellis Genge injured and losing guy Thomson in the first half its not a great time to be playing any team in the top half of the table!!

We are shit but its not a level playing field sometimes at this time of year.

Cipriani missed 2 of his conversions as well.

tjagain

So predictions for today?  all fairly predictable 😉

Scotland / SA – very hard to see anything other than an SA win.  SA have a decent run of results,  High scoring match, SA by 10

England should see off Japan without too much trouble but will trundle and creak to victory rather than romp  England by 10

Ireland will struggle.  Low scoring game but NZ by 5

Wales / tonga – again hard to see past wales  winning but tonga might give them a scare or two.  Wales by 10

anagallis_arvensis

When you back line has the pace and verve of Gareth Owen at 13 you know your in trouble!!

anagallis_arvensis

Tonga to unleash worlds heaviest international rugby player on Wales

Ben Tameifuna, who played in the same Junior All Blacks team as Beauden Barrett and Welsh No.10 Gareth Anscombe, was a mere 23st 4lbs before joining Top 14 heavyweights Racing 92 in 2015.

But since then the 6ft Auckland-born tighthead prop has seen his weight spiral to 24st 1lb (153kg), making him the heaviest player in Test rugby.

Expect to see Wales looseheads knees tremble at scrum time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WRy72Yy4mXE

Tom-B
    Free Member

I reckon SA will have too much for Scotland….maybe SA by 7

NZ Ireland, heart says Ireland, head says NZ by no more than 5

England v Japan, whom cares? England by 25

Wales v Tonga, again whom cares? Wales by 20

ads678

When you back line has the pace and verve of Gareth Owen at 13 you know your in trouble

And being marshalled by the not so good Ford brother!

gauss1777
    Free Member

I am finding these games more difficult to call than the past couple of weeks.

Scotland v SA could go either way. Not a high scoring game, less than 10 difference.

England by 20+

Wales by 15+

I have a gut feeling NZ will make a statement prior to the World Cup – NZ by 15+

Kryton57

Although my heart is with Ireland, I too fear an AB’s backlash.  They will want to ensure they’ve made a mark in the NH before they leave.

England game feels a little like the warm up match to that for me.

DanW
    Free Member

I’m leaning the same way as gauss on the predictions… but sport isnt played on paper and it would be great to see something unexpected

DanW
    Free Member

Interesting stat: I knew England missed a lot of tackles last weekend but what I didn’t realise was Farrell missed 11!

mindmap3
    Free Member

When you back line has the pace and verve of Gareth Owen at 13 you know your in trouble!!

He did look a bit a bit of a donkey against some of the swift Gloucester backs. Thorley made a chunk of ground through his channel and he’s doesn’t often make the 23 when all are fit. Thompstone looked pretty sluggish too.

anagallis_arvensis

Nick Berry is a ref now!

Every loser wins!

anagallis_arvensis

Seems a bit harsh!

Kryton57

England shambles right now.  14 men and losing.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Utter shambles. Scored after two minutes, then haven’t had the ball since. Looks like me out there trying to tackle ffs.

Pigface
    Free Member

Japan playing really well

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ashton looks **** too, excellent.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just when you thought we couldn’t get worse than the first half v SA…..

mindmap3
    Free Member

Jeez. What an absolute shower of shit from us. Fair play to Japan who are inventive and playing really really bloody well. So much for smashing them.

Tom-B
    Free Member

….Jones has basically come full circle now, actually, we’re possibly in worse nick than when he took over!

We’re probably going to be heading into the world cup niw with at least 50% of positions either filled with an out of form senior player, or a form player with about 8 caps.

anagallis_arvensis

Good performance in the end from Wales. Well done boys.

COME ON JAPAN!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 3,061 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2018/19’ is closed to new replies.