Viewing 40 posts - 3,201 through 3,240 (of 4,076 total)
  • Rugby Thread 2017/18.
  • IdleJon

Also, this gives Ireland something to be bitter about – it’s an emotion normally lacking in the green machine and their fans. 😆

Careful with that line of thinking. Pontypridd did this years ago (nobody likes us, the WRU don’t support us, we’re always the underdog). When they started winning regularly they didn’t know what to do. 🤔

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So, possible scenario for Saturday….

Ireland beat England – Probable

Scotland beat Italy – Likely

Wales beat France narrowly, or lose – 50/50!

If the above happens, England finish fifth!

Still, Wales could also end up fifth, if they lose and both Scotland and England win!

Kryton57

Ireland have knocked England to 3rd in the world rankings.   C’mon Ireland, its up to you to displace the AB’s.

On which note, I’m very nervous about THAT autumn international now!

anagallis_arvensis

<b>Wales:</b> Halfpenny; North, S Williams, Parkes, L Williams; Biggar, G Davies; R Evans, Owens, Francis, Hill, A W Jones, Tipuric, Faletau, Navidi.

<i>Replacements:</i> Dee, Smith, Lee, B Davies, Shingler, A Davies, Anscombe, S Evans.

Surprised by Tips and Navidi and I thought Loopy was going to get the boot.

Hope we can stop the french forwards runners

anagallis_arvensis

Also just noticed it shows Navidi at 8 and Faletau at 7 and Tips at 6…out of position bingo.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Mako, Hartley, Sinckler, Itoje, Kruis, Robshaw, Haskell, Simmonds, Wigglesworth, Farrell, Daly, Teo, JJ, May, Watson

So…..Cole dropped for Sinckler=good, Launchbury dropped for Kruis=terrible! Kruis is in shit form, Ford dropped and a 10, 12,13 of Faz, Te’o, JJ=unsure….when was the last time JJ was on good form?

Bold selection though, pretty predictible backrow given previous selections.

Kryton57

Kruis/Launchbury is just about adding mobility, but as above, it worries me he’s not on form.   Care is much better as an impact player, JJ’s there for defence.   Ford will be on if we are on the front foot.

What Jones has done here I believe is set a team to defend the onslaught/avoid turnovers first half yet have some go forward potential in Teo, Sinckler & Haskell.   If were ahead at 60, he’ll bring Care/Ford/Brown on and move Watson to the wing to try and show England can “finish” in the last 20 and prove the doubters wrong.  Brown needs to defend against Sexton pinning England back 2nd half.

…an attempt at dynamic defence is my interpretation.

mindmap3
    Free Member

JJ’s space is constantly being taken up by fat lads who think they’re backs! Defensively he’s solid too which is important. Wigglesworth starting makes sense too; he’s not a game changer. Still can’t see past a dicking being handed out by the green machine. Fifth place it is!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah I think we’ll still lose…… Ireland are immense at the breakdown, we are not. None of the changes will do much to change that imo. Unless we pin Ireland to their own half all game that is.

dantsw13

And now refgate!! SA ref replaced by Nigel.

Kryton57

Not really Refgate is it?    He’s done nothing wrong, neither have England.  They’ve done it because its been highlighted and COULD be met with controversy, and now changed the rules for next time.

Ireland 17 England 9 is my prediction.

IdleJon

Ireland are immense at the breakdown….

What’s the betting that this is the game where the ref finds the section in the laws on breakdown illegalities and pings Ireland out of the game?

dantsw13

I was about to say Owens is as honest and straight a ref as they come, but you know what I mean!!

He doesn’t strike me as someone that bows to pressure and will ref it his own way. England need to adapt to the ref far better.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I don’t think Owens is the ref, he is replacing linesman, Ref is Angus Sumtingorouvver.

5plusn8
    Free Member
    deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No alarms and no surprises.

🤢

anagallis_arvensis

So Englanders, theres been a lot of despair in Wales regarding Biggar being pick over younger more exciting options (Patch or Anscombe) how do you lot feel about Wigglesworth? What is he 35 with about 35caps over the last 10 years? Why is he being picked. If he was going to be good enough surely he’d have shown it by now. Surely you must have other options?

dantsw13

We do. Jones has boxed himself into a corner by only picking Care & Young’s for so long. Robson should be the one, but there are many.

I don’t have a problem with Wigglesworth, he plays with a lot of our forwards, plus Farrell at Sarries and has big match experience, but he isnt the future.

Tom-B
    Free Member

The difference is, Biggar is clearly the best Welsh 10….by some margin, and if will start at 10 for the world cup. Wigglesworth is a quality player, but is hardly worth playing now given his age. However, taking the Ireland game in isolation, then I can get on board with him playing. We need another 9 with a decent number of caps though….

anagallis_arvensis

So here it is superdooper saturday.

Predictions

England Ireland will be very close, I’ll go England by 3.

Scotland Italy, Scotland by 15

Wales France, Wales by 5 after 102 mins of rugby all 8 prop off with HIA’s.

Did anyone see Cardiff v Treviso last night. Ellis Jenkins the flanker played last 20mins of the game at 9…did a good job really, didnt Bergamasco it up at all. Treviso had Scarvi a centre at 6 and a hooker in tge second row!

tjagain

Anyone see Edinburgh beat Munster last night?  don’t bother watching a replay 😉

One of the worst games I have ever seen.  I really think they should not play pro 14 games during the 6N – both sides looked very much like second string sides

anagallis_arvensis

I quite like seeing the kids get a chance…want to see Owen Lane at 13 very soon. He looks a real prospect.

Was also great to see Gethin runni g about smashing tackles, turning over ball, charging down kicks and hinging in the scrums!!

mindmap3
    Free Member

So Englanders, theres been a lot of despair in Wales regarding Biggar being pick over younger more exciting options (Patch or Anscombe) how do you lot feel about Wigglesworth? What is he 35 with about 35caps over the last 10 years? Why is he being picked. If he was going to be good enough surely he’d have shown it by now. Surely you must have other options?

He’s not the future but he’s a much better controlling scrum half than Care who can actually kick with a degree of effectiveness. Care has proved twice in a row that he’s shit at starting a game, he has far more impact coming off the bench. Jones policy of only picking two scrum halves has come back to bite him in the arse. Hopefully we’ll see a change bit I doubt it because he’s pretty pig headed.

BruceWee

I actually think that having pro14 games during the 6N has been quite beneficial for Glasgow and Scotland.  Given the fact that internationals gut Glasgow’s squad it means we have to bring through young players through much more quickly.  Jonny Gray, Ali Price, and Zander Fagerson  are examples that spring to mind.  In fact, I think even Finn Russell got his start as cover during the internationals.

dantsw13

At the start of the year I expected us to beat Ireland this year, but now I really can’t tell. We’ve been going backwards & others have worked out our systems. The way Ireland have developed this season they are the deserved world no2 now.

I expect Scotland to rip Italy to pieces – they won’t handle a fast game.

France Wales could go either way. With the confidence from the England game Fra could be a real handful.

theotherjonv

Being in pain and unable to sleep I got up about 5 and watched the NZ rugby on Sky. Is it a different game? They constantly look to pass out of tackles, barely a ruck all game and very few passages of play with ruck after ruck after ruck.  Best game I’ve seen all season.

The 6N I’ve seen this year seems to be becoming more like League, particularly England, except rather than heeling the ball back after a tackle, it just goes into an uncontested ruck, the next player picks up and starts again, and there’s no 6 tackle limit.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Here we go, should be a great afternoon. I can’t help it – c’mon Italy!

wrecker
    Free Member

HOLY CRAP! The Italians are doing to scotland what scotland did to england. Can they keep it up?

gauss1777
    Free Member

Can they keep it up?

I guess that’s the million dollar question – they’d stand a much greater chance if there was only 40 minutes. Exciting game so far!

dantsw13

I’ve just got in and switched on…….

dantsw13

Dont tell TJ, but I think Barclay is my player of the tournament so far

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

He’s an honorary Welshman, too.

🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

He’s an honorary Welshman, too.

Are you? ; )

tjagain

🙂

Being a scotland fan is not good for you I tell you.

I really want Italy to win some games – they deserve to but not Scotland again please

Barclay is a cracking player and since going to Wales has a new lease of life so I’ll allow you that CFH.  for me he was the one player who if he had swapped sides in the Calcutta cup would have swung the game – a smart player

anagallis_arvensis

Are Scotland pea hearted away from home?

tjagain

I don’t think its that AA  altho maybe a bit of a mental block ?  I think its more that Italy have played well and also the way Italy play works well against the scots

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are you? ; )

i think you’re mixing up “honorary” and “plastique”. 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yawn.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Ho ho ho

Aww

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t think its that AA

Really.

Still looked a massive knock on

Viewing 40 posts - 3,201 through 3,240 (of 4,076 total)

The topic ‘Rugby Thread 2017/18.’ is closed to new replies.