Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

The season hasn’t even started and we are talking about Chippy. He has just been done for drink driving having tried to lie his way out of it. His lack of a brain counts against him. A lot. As it should.

Personally I think Gatland would be a terrible choice as coach.

anagallis_arvensis

Personally I think Gatland would be a terrible choice as coach.

Why and who else is available, wants it and is better?

tjagain

Cotter?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

Cotter is with Scotland till the end of the season. Gatland has a sabatical clause in his contract. Wales will be left with Stan Laurel in charge again for the year when world cup seedings are decided!!

wrecker
    Free Member

I’d like to see Dai Young and Baxter take it on.
    I see Mike Ford is out of a job at present…..I’d sooner have Gatland!!!

anagallis_arvensis

I’d like to see Dai Young and Baxter take it on.

Why? They have no international experience of coaching. It should be a job for the best coach in Britain. Sad fact is none of them either want it or would be allowed to do it by their employers so Gatland is the best available. Even sadder is the fact that I doubt Young or Baxter would be allowed to leave their current jobs for the time needed. Its getting harder and harder to see how the lions can keep going in the future.

Still at least I still have Gav!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Gatland doesn’t have the nouse to beat the all blacks, this is a known so throw some wild cards into the mix. Jones doesn’t want it. Cotter can’t do it. Gatland has done it before, and doesn’t merit it.

tjagain

Cotter could do it. He asked to be considered. I don’t want him to but as he is leaving and his replacement is ready to step in its not an issue

tjagain

MY choice is Baxter simply because I like the way exceter play and he has improved them

anagallis_arvensis

Gatland doesn’t have the nouse to beat the all blacks, this is a known

Is this a Jambafact. Wales havent beaten the Allblacks since 1953 and we’ve had two who have gone on to win world cups.

Cotter could do it. He asked to be considered. I don’t want him to but as he is leaving and his replacement is ready to step in its not an issue

Cotter leaves scotland after autumn internationals, who takes over? Are Glasgow just expected to bend over?

tjagain

Remember Glasgow are the bulk of the Scotland team. tactics and style are similar. Glasgow are SRU run. Toonie does both for the six nations with the Glasgow assistants stepping up?
    All I know is Cotter made it clear he was interested but now seems to be out of the running anyway.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is this a Jambafact

@aa leave that out here, just a gratuitous response to a post from @wrecker

wrecker
    Free Member

Is this a Jambafact. Wales havent beaten the Allblacks since 1953 and we’ve had two who have gone on to win world cups.

It’s a real fact. Gatand has had his chance many times and came up short. He’ll get the job but he shouldn’t.

Pigface
    Free Member

What has Cotter done to get so much adulation? International record isn’t exactly stellar played 28 lost 14 won 14. How does that qualify hin to be the Lions coach?

TBF Gatlands win record is only marginally better 😆

anagallis_arvensis

It’s a real fact. Gatand has had his chance many times and came up short

Er you do realise he’s coached a lions test win? You do realise that the rest of the time he’s coaches wales who arent very good and both Henry and Hansen failed to beat the All Blacks with Wales and they did alright later in their career? I’m no massive Gatland fan but he is a good coach and to say he lacks the nous to beat top teams is just lazy. So far hr has lacked the players.

wrecker
    Free Member

Happy to agree to disagree. Gats has never beaten any top teams, even with a slam winning side. I don’t dislike the bloke at all, but I do think we’d have a better chance with a more pragmatic coach.

Pigface
    Free Member

He has beaten S. Africa and Australia who are the other top teams 😆 he is 50 50 against england never lost to Scotland, oh you said top teams 😉

anagallis_arvensis

I dont disagree that he’s not the best coach but he is pretty good and does have a good record. I would also prefer wales not to be rudderless for a year. Wales did ok in NZ this june till injuries mounted up. If we had some decent bench players we would have given them 2 good games for the full 80 and played some good attacking rugby. They had the likes of Ardie Savea and Bauden Barrett on the bench we had Tomos Francis and Anscombe. Wales suffer the same problem v Aus or SA we lack the bench to compete beyond 60 mins and with a few injuries to key players we are screwed for a starting 15 too. Luckily for us England and France have underperformed in recent years and despite their stronger benches we can get far enough ahead to win beforehand.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

If you look at Gatland’s 6N/Grand Slam record with limited player resources he’s done pretty bloody well. He also has a 100% series record with the Lions already – albeit against a very disorganised Australia.

I think, given the lack of preparation time, someone who’s been there and done it is ideal.

EJ would probably do a good job but (rightly) he wants to concentrate on England.

anagallis_arvensis

EJ would be me favourite too but even if he wanted it would England release him?

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Varndell still has some wheels!!!

Yeah I was surprised he never threw his hat in the ring for the Olympic 7s.

Pigface
    Free Member

is that what we are calling the a************r now EJ? 😆 i have a real problem with him 😆 he is a fantastic coach though and turned around england in very short order. There was never anything wrong with the trundle muppets that a decent coach couldn’t sort out and he certainly did it.

I think we are going to see a period of domestic dominance from england but hopefully not another world cup 😀

ej coaching the Lions would be interesting but I think it would be an england side in disguise.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Great team try by Stade Francais at 2:10

[video]https://youtu.be/ZvHgGtbKXb0?t=126[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

ej coaching the Lions would be interesting but I think it would be an england side in disguise.

Indeed but thats what we need to compete with the all blacks England plus with a strong bench. Problem is if Gatland picks England plus can he coach the system in such a short lead in. This is why Gatland pucked Wales plus last time.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do you think that the establishment of a Wales “a” side will help with strength in depth a_a?
    Gats beat SA once in 18 meetings? All through the slam years? The only aus wins were with the lions yes?
    He’s not bad, but I’d look elsewhere. The lions will get thrashed anyway but it would be nice to have a win. Not convinced he has the dog to do it. Warrenball won’t do it that much is for sure. If I’m proved wrong I’ll put my hand up and admit it though.

anagallis_arvensis

Do you think that the establishment of a Wales “a” side will help with strength in depth a_a?

We dont have enough players to have two 30 man squads!! When Tomos Francis is your second choice tighthead and Gethin Jenkins is still the best loosehead at 86 years old we dont have players. The players who it would hep like Patchel for example are only 2 injuries away from the starting 15. Liam Williams is our best full back and right wing!!
    The only thing that would help are stronger regions but the cash isnt available due to the pro12 being shit. I’ll get flamed for saying it but the welsh and irish subsidise the scots and italians. How the scottish regions have bigger budgets than the welsh when only 3 dogs and cat go to watch them should be a question people are asking. Only way to save pro rugby in Wales long term would be a British League and that aint going to happen.

anagallis_arvensis

Gats beat SA once in 18 meetings? All through the slam years? The only aus wins were with the lions yes?

Yes but wales are no very good. The fact that England and France could not beat them is because they under performed badly. Add to this autumn series with 4 games and invariably playing Aus last outside the window with key players missing back in France or England and other injuries from the previous 3 tough games and its no wonder. Had we played just 3 games and played them all in the window like Ireland or Scotland with just 1 of the big 3 then we might have crawled over the line once or twice. As it is playing NZ then SA then Argentina and then Aus outside the window the team gets flogged to death.

Pigface
    Free Member

Gethin Jenkins is still the best loosehead at 86 years old

I thought he was in his nineties, plenty of life left in him 😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member

the team gets flogged to death

Yeah read an article with Bradley Davies saying that playing in England and also playing for Wales is nigh on impossible. He decided it had to be one over the other. I pity Faletau at Bath…….

HERE

anagallis_arvensis

Faletau, touch wood, has been unbreakable, hope Wales use him carefully.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Cooper starts for the Wallabies, with Foley at 12 as Toomua and Giteau both crocked. Lienart-Brown at 12 for the ABs as Crotty, Moala, Ngatai and SBW all out.

Australia

1. Scott Sio,2. Stephen Moore (c),3. Sekope Kepu,4. Kane Douglas,5. Adam Coleman,6. Scott Fardy,7. Michael Hooper ,8. David Pocock ,9. Will Genia ,10. Quade Cooper,11. Dane Haylett-Petty ,12. Bernard Foley,13. Samu Kerevi ,14. Adam Ashley-Cooper ,15. Israel Folau ,

Replacements :16. Tatafu Polota-Nau,17. James Slipper,18. Allan Ala’alatoa ,19. Will Skelton,20. Dean Mumm ,21. Nick Phipps ,22. Tevita Kuridrani ,23. Reece Hodge*

New Zealand

1. Joe Moody, 2. Dane Coles , 3. Owen Franks , 4. Brodie Retallick, 5. Samuel Whitelock , 6. Jerome Kaino, 7. Sam Cane , 8. Kieran Read (c) ,, 9. Aaron Smith , 10. Beauden Barrett , 11. Julian Savea , 12. Anton Lienert-Brown, 13. Malakai Fekitoa , 14. Israel Dagg , 15. Ben Smith ,

Replacements : 16. James Parsons , 17. Wyatt Crockett , 18. Charlie Faumuina, 19. Liam Squire, 20. Ardie Savea , 21. TJ Perenara , 22. Aaron Cruden , 23. Seta Tamanivalu

Pigface
    Free Member

That Kiwi pack is something else, another humping coming up for Australia.

anagallis_arvensis

The backs are not too bad either! Dagg and Smith switched. Smith is wasted on the wing as good as Dagg is Smith is the best 15 in the world by far!

duckman

4. Brodie Retallick, 5. Samuel Whitelock

Gulp!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Smith is the best 15 in the world by far!

True but, on recent form, Dagg is probably the second best so they want him in there too. When Milner-Skudder returns it’ll make things more interesting.

tinybits
    Free Member

Aus are looking as buggered in the centres as England!
    Giteau is crooked (possibly for good) and Toomua is off to Tigers after this tri nations (or whatever it is) so will be unable to be picked.

Another humping coming I feel

anagallis_arvensis

NZ only playing in flashes this week. Aus defending better but only looks like being one winner.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

NZ only playing in flashes this week

Indeed but still 4 tries to nil and a comfortable 20pt win.

You can still marvel at the basic running and handling skills of the ABs from 1-15. They dominated in the set piece too. I think some of the lack of cohesion can be attributed to the absence of Crotty although Lienert-Brown played well.

Barrett looks ever more assured and Dagg and Smith were excellent as was Coles. Sam Cane impresses me more with each game he starts.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cane is going to be really special.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, the Wallabies brought out their “secret weapon” : Quade Cooper! 😆
    NZ countered with Lienert-Brown… hmm, which had the biggest impact?
    Can’t wait to see what’ll happen when Argentina beat Australia.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.