Viewing 40 posts - 5,041 through 5,080 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • tjagain

AA – and the tone of your recent posts just emphasises my point

loum
    Free Member

Another hope if Teo starts is to hope he can draw SBW into a dick swinging bosh contest, Roberts did this with Wales a few seasons ago and the All Blacks only pulled away when SBW went off and they passed round Roberts instead.

That’s an interesting narrative.
    Alternatively, the ABs targeted Roberts and knackered him out before running round him in the last 20 minutes.
    Tactically, they’ve tended to reorganise for the last half hour by bringing an extra playmaker in and passing wider as teams tire.
    Usually works for them?

With Hogg gone 1/2p is really the only sensible choice. When ireland beat them in Chicago they did it by beating them up front. Liam has been poor and Watson didnt look to have great decision making with his little cameo at 15 and Daly like the other 2 isnt a full time full back.

at least he’s a full time rugby player, not an unemployed bum 😉

think Davies deserves another shot to stake a claim, he runs good lines and if we have a 10 and a second play maker at 12 his lack of passing ability is not too much of a problem…
    With the players we have and our relative strengths and weaknesses a forwards dominated game with some rapid wingers to finish chances when on is our best hope, Watson and North give us that

Playing JD wastes the strengths of North and Watson, or any other player outside.
    He does run good support lines and finishes well, which might turn out to be the plan running of O’Teo’s offloading game , but so does JJ and he can pass.
    OR might as well play O’Teo in his better position at 13 and let the real finishers , North and Watson, get some ball.
    Or let Henshaw have a go at his best position, 13, rather than having to cover 12 ‘cos the coach picked such an unbalanced squad.
    Roberts should have been there from the start, ideal dirtrack 12 bosher, but their lovers tiff has taken priority.

BTW, Henshaw’s the best FB left too :mrgreen:
    Best bet now is to call up Roberts as a 12 to move Henshaw to 15 just to please Phil Mitchell.

anagallis_arvensis

AA – and the tone of your recent posts just emphasises my point

I dont really care tbh

tjagain

Its a shame ‘cos you often have insightful things to say – but too often lazily just belittle instead and any perceived criticism of anything welsh sets you off on a tirade

anagallis_arvensis

Alternatively, the ABs targeted Roberts and knackered him out before running round him in the last 20 minutes.

TBH I was surprised they didnt just run round him and score tries from the start.

He does run good support lines and finishes well, which might turn out to be the plan running of O’Teo’s offloading game , but so does JJ and he can pass.

I agree and I would pick Joseph and would love it if Wales had a player like him. Like I said they he deserves a shot as he was injured about 10mins into his first game.

Playing JD wastes the strengths of North and Watson, or any other player outside.

OR might as well play O’Teo in his better position at 13 and let the real finishers , North and Watson, get some ball.

Teo’s passing is awful too so I’m not sure how he would be any better. I think Davies is better than Teo. If we can pick both Sexton and Faz whoever plays 13 and their lack of passing would be less of a problem for the wingers.

Not sure Roberts would have captained Wales this am if he and Gatland had fallen out.

With Hogg, Faz and Lawes injured I would imagine 15, 10 and 5 are priorites for bench sitters although I wouldnt be surprised to see Roberts bought in too. Not sure the current Wales squad has any decent players to fill those but then Anscombe is in the same time zone and can cover 10 and 15 and knows the super dooper teams, he’s bang average though. Is there a Gray brother on the Scotland tour?

Like I said earlier I think Gatland was right picking a smaller squad to ensure everyone gets a fair crack at a start before the tests and he will have known injuries will mean bringing players in. I think this is the right move for squad unity.

anagallis_arvensis

Its a shame ‘cos you often have insightful things to say – but too often lazily just belittle instead and any perceived criticism of anything welsh sets you off on a tirade

you do realise Gatland is not welsh dont you?

tjagain

J Gray is with Sotland and I hope he is not asked or refuses to go on the lions. Be much better off staying with Scotland. I hope all the scots refuse to go on the lions especially Russell.

anagallis_arvensis

I doubt they are as petty and small minded as you!

tjagain

See – again witg the insults

Its nothing to do with being petty or small minded. they have a choice of continuing to develop Scotland as a team or go and sit on the bench for the lions dirt trackers. No chance of a test spot, no chane of any meaningful action. Russell especially does not need confusion from differnt coaches.

If they had been picked from the start then fine – they have a chance of th test team. Now – its merely to be cannon fodder

IdleJon

In all the (usual) bickering, has anyone mentioned the NZ – Samoa result? 😯

anagallis_arvensis

See – again witg the insults

Insult of the century!!!! 😆
    I hope all the scots refuse to go on the lions especially Russell.[/quote]

But if the cap fits!

In all the (usual) bickering, has anyone mentioned the NZ – Samoa result?

Briefly, like you said 😯

Our only hope is that a try fest has left them under done whilst the Lions have been playing much stronger opposition and are battle hardened.
    Its not much of a hope though!!

They looks shit 😆 that Barrett fella is a show pony, you wait till Jonny Sexton gets hold of him!!!
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GZNCNnQcTXw[/video]

Pigface
    Free Member

It’s a bickerthon 😆

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Well the ABs scored a few brilliant tries against Samoa.

SBW and ALB looked like they’d always played together rather than it being the first time. TJ Perenara was all action once he’d come on.

So Samoa aren’t the strongest but it was still an impressive display. Any rustiness was gone after 20 minutes.

All the bench impressed too.

IdleJon

So Samoa aren’t the strongest

but also weren’t the weakest Samoan side.

anagallis_arvensis

True but it was the Samoans first game together since last november. I’m not suggesting it will make much difference but the tough games the Lions have played will improve them. Last time in NZ they just played the Manawatu girls u15 prior to the tests and so looked good but were under done. Same in Aus last time. This tour is the first in the Pro ear that the Lions have played full super dooper teams and whilst many will be critical of the losses but the reality is its setting them up well..

Still not likely to get that close to them over 3 tests I dont think.

anagallis_arvensis

Worth a look I think.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e00-w6eqSyk[/video]

Kryton57

Anyway, I’m looking forward to sitting with my traditional Saturday bacon roll and coffee and seeing the cleverly coached attacking/scoring moves* that everyone other than Farrell have been hiding being put into practise before the AB’s match.

*accepts I’ll most likely be disappointed.

anagallis_arvensis

I’m looking forward to sitting with my traditional Saturday bacon roll and coffee and seeing the cleverly coached attacking/scoring moves

The Maori backline does look good.

tjagain

nice little Vid here showing Russells skills.

WATCH: Finn Russell breaks out the filth in Sinagpore

Tom-B
    Free Member

😯 Just logged back on after posting this morning…..you chaps sure do know how to have an argument!!!

anagallis_arvensis

Just logged back on after posting this morning…..you chaps sure do know how to have an argument!!!

No we dont

Kryton57

Oh Yes we do….

tjagain

The big boys did it and ran away!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Group hug, everyone?

😀

tjagain

So long as its not with the smelly fat boys in the scrum 😉

tjagain

Hey AA – were you a scrum half when you played?

anagallis_arvensis

Openside mostly, scrum half starts the fight, flankers arrive first and get it going before the fat lads arrive and beat the shit out of you!

That or full back.

Did once get sent off in a touch rugby match.

tjagain

🙂

Kryton57

Did once get sent off in a touch rugby match.

A fact that comes as no surprise to me at all.

tjagain

So – to get back to rugby – anyone give Scotland a chance against Aus? IIRC 15 pts to Aus is the betting 4:1 against Scotland to win

Looks like a good team from Scotland but a bit weak in the back 3 but the boys are on fire and J Gray has been rested so he is nice and hungry to eat a few Aus forwards.

I’m gonna set my alarm to watch it – its 6am our time I believe. I think 4:1 is good odds – our chances are higher than that and there has not been 15pts between us for the last few games

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have to say, bravo to Scotland for taking on Australia this summer. Knowing they’d have very few first team players lost to the Lions means they knew they’d be able to properly test their (almost) first XV against some very good opposition.

30-40 points to Australia.

Sorry.

tjagain

Got a hat to eat? Last twice we have played Aus we have been within a handful of points and this Scotland team keeps on improving. Missing Hogg, Seymour, Maitland and Visser has somewhat blunted our attack tho. Picked our two biggest centres to smash theirs and a very mobile back row who will try to steal their ball.

tjagain

CFH – last 5 Aus / Scotland games have all been within one score
    SCOT 22-23 AUS
    SCOT 34-35 AUS
    SCOT 15-21 AUS
    AUS 6-9 SCOT
    SCOT 9-8 AUS

namastebuzz
    Free Member

I hope all the scots refuse to go on the lions especially Russell.

I see your point but what about the players? It’s the pinnacle in terms of selection. Why deny them that?

Besides, being in the Lions environment and training with top players can surely only be good for anyone brought in? Also, a player brought in could have a blinder in a midweek game and, in conjunstion with injuries, suddenly find themselves catapulted into the test arena.

Sure, it would be better for England in Argentina if they had all their players available (except Mike Brown)or Ireland in Japan or Wales on their tour but what’s best for the Lions?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sure, it would be better for England in Argentina if they had all their players available (except Mike Brown)or Ireland in Japan or Wales on their tour but what’s best for the Lions?

Indeed. We should all get behind the Standard Life Investments British & Irish Lions. Hell yeah! 😀

tjagain

Namastebuzz – I think the players would be better off with Scotland and then getting a rest and a full preseason. It would be different if they had been selected from the beginning but they will have no chance of making the test side and cementheads coaching is so different to toonies

mikey3
    Free Member

Scotland giving the aussies all the trouble they can handle so far,two lovely opportunistic tries.

mindmap3
    Free Member

That was some score line from the AB’s. They look to be on a different planet to most teams and don’t seem to struggle when guys like Carter or McCaw retire. Amazing. Still can’t see ads a three nil humping.

Interesting call ups by Gatland; are they really the best options out there? Hmmmmmmm.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and an exceptional try for the locals 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

Australia playing some great stuff and some really poor stuff!

Viewing 40 posts - 5,041 through 5,080 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.