Viewing 40 posts - 5,001 through 5,040 (of 6,096 total)
  • Rugby thread 2016/2017
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

That’s just anti-English bias! 😉

I’d pick George over Taylor and Whitelock in for Retallic then. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

I see your point but you don’t necessarily pick tight forwards primarily for their ball skills

And this is why NZ are better!! Basic skills are ingrained in them from the start, they are not an added bonus or something a prop might work on later!!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Indeed. They are better.

Exemplified by the fact that, although we’ve combined the talent of four (well three) countries, we’re struggling to get 3-4 players into a combined XV.

onehundredthidiot

That’s why toonie coaches as he does. Fitness and ball skills first and foremost.
    Gives players that can play around the pitch. Means you don’t rely on the set piece but you do need to be able to compete on it.

DezB
    Free Member

I probably have to ask for permission on here to find this try impressive –
    [video]https://youtu.be/0Ujzm_ilUmI[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

probably have to ask for permission on here to find this try impressive –

Pah, rubbish Gorseinon U11 girls would smash them!

DanW
    Free Member

Bah, that’s nothing. The Welsh will be doing that and more soon as there is a new powerhouse in coaching arriving… yes folks, the intelligence and subtle skills of Andy Powell has entered coaching! 🙂

In other news, 1/2p still without a contract for next year?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One for STWRugbyRefTrackworld

Penalty try given against Tonga, but conversion wasn’t taken. Heard ref saying no conversion for a penalty try. Is that new? Can’t remember it happening before.

anagallis_arvensis

enalty try given against Tonga, but conversion wasn’t taken. Heard ref saying no conversion for a penalty try. Is that new? Can’t remember it happening before.

Missed the last 5 mins but I would have thought the games ends after the conversion.
    Good performance by a raw wales pack, over powered the tongans and kept the territory well.
    Dai’s kid was good, remain unconvinced by Davies..I’d have had Anscombe and Patchel ahead of him with one at 10 and one at 15.
    Nice try from Calamity Cuthbert.

tjagain

Seems odd CFH

It was in the 81st minute but even so I would have thought the conversion would be taken.

tjagain

BBC report
    “With his radar well and truly fixed, Davies added his fourth penalty of the night and then a conversion as the Welsh scrum earned a penalty try in the last minute as they shunted the Tonga eight back across the line”

Is that wrong?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Conversion wasn’t taken, points were given.

tjagain

Reports that the lions are going to call up half a dozen players to sit on the bench for the midweek side – mainly to be scots and welsh as they are in the right hemisphere. they can frak right off if they are going to strip Scotland of its best players merely to sit on the bench midweek unless its after the fiji game and even then I’d rather they came home to rest and have a proper preseason
    http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_/id/19650619/british-irish-lions-call-reinforcements-midweek-games.

anagallis_arvensis

Conversion wasn’t taken, points were given.

New trial laws apparently, 7 points for pen try no need to take kick

anagallis_arvensis

Reports that the lions are going to call up half a dozen players to sit on the bench for the midweek side – mainly to be scots

The inevitable rise of Hamish Watson to the test 7 jersey starts here!!!

Kryton57

Yet another Lions tour smacks of a head coach disaster.

The simple fact is – and I’m saying this factually although my natural bias will appear to some, is that there’s only two teams in the NH capable of running the AB’s close once at home, and not in a series and not away.

Dilute those with 2nd rate fringe international players due to injuries, factor in the “touring” issues and we don’t stand a chance. I expect the next 4 Saturday games to be pretty grim from a NH perspective.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Seems fair enough. These kicks are never missed anyway are they?

Can’t link to YouTube but googling “missed conversions” brings up some howlers. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

New trial laws apparently, 7 points for pen try no need to take kick

I approve. Maximises the penalty, speeds up the game. Now, can we have drop goal conversions as well, like sevens. All that time wasted y the likes of Farrell and Biggar is dull. And yes, I blame Saint Johnny. 🙂 Paul Thorburn would just place it and hoof it

So, what do we think, drop goal conversions?

jca

Drop-goal conversions are already an option if the kicker feels brave enough:

From law 9:
    Conversion Goal. When a player scores a try it gives the player’s team the right to attempt to score a goal by taking a kick at goal; this also applies to a penalty try. This kick is a conversion kick: a conversion kick can be a place kick or a drop kick

Meanwhile:

LAW AMENDMENT TRIAL

7 points
    Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, just thinking that 9 could be amended so it’s all drop kick conversions, as with 7s.

wrecker
    Free Member

So, what do we think, drop goal conversions?

Ok but must be kicked by a front row.

tjagain

AA – thats the point. I wouldn’t mind if they had a chance of going into the test side but according to the reports its merely to sit on the bench for the two remaining midweek games

anagallis_arvensis

The simple fact is – and I’m saying this factually although my natural bias will appear to some, is that there’s only two teams in the NH capable of running the AB’s close once at home, and not in a series and not away.

Dilute those with 2nd rate fringe international players due to injuries, factor in the “touring” issues and we don’t stand a chance. I expect the next 4 Saturday games to be pretty grim from a NH perspective.
    Could you explain in simple terms how the first point is backed up by the second two?

Tom-B
    Free Member

So Wales played a test on a Thursday then? I thought that it was tonight.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tom B – Member
    So Wales played a test on a Thursday then? I thought that it was tonight.

It’s Friday night in NZ.

tjagain

AA and I am not sure which NH teams can run NZ close at home. IIRC none have done so since I started following rugby. Ireland and England have beaten them in one off games. Wales were competitive for parts of matches but not closeto winning. Scotland simply run away

Kryton57

Could you explain in simple terms how the first point is backed up by the second two?

It isn’t, they are both contributory factors to what I believe will be the end result. For whatever reason, recent Lions coaches have failed to gel consistent winning teams. Sir Clive did an amazing job with England but an utterly poor one with the Lions for example.

If we go back to the past where – for example – we have constant and dominant Welsh talent in the player pool and smaller contributions from the other nations – like today but a different ratio in the player pool, the Lions were much credited for their skills and ability to win despite being a touring party. I think the last relatively successful tour was in SA ’97?

Edit: I take it back – my memory must be “win selective” as the result are more variable than I thought. https://www.lionsrugby.com/historic-results/

anagallis_arvensis

I think the last relatively successful tour was in SA ’97?

So the last winning tour wasnt successful?
    Pro game means its much more complex to “gel” a team.
    You are frankly talking clap trap.
    Woodentop took 240 000 players and the tour was a disaster due to splitting the wed and sat squads.
    Gatland has said all players will start a game before the tests, which is why he has taken less players than he may need.
    If for example Roberts turns up to sit on the bench next wednesday he will be happy enough. If he was on the tour from the start and didnt get a start he would rightly be pissed off and the squad will fragment.

tjagain

AA – if the report is right Gatland is now splitting into two squads nd wants more players to be the midweek sides subs

Kryton57

You are frankly talking clap trap.

Always in your eyes AA, hence your opinion is diluted as you can’t seem to respond with anything I say without veiled or direct insult.

Your whole response would have been considered a dialogue and contributory until you weakened it with that line. I’ll just ignore you, as do others.

anagallis_arvensis

AA – if the report is right Gatland is now splitting into two squads nd wants more players to be the midweek sides subs

true but Woodward started that way and not every player was given a chance to start.

ways in your eyes AA, hence your opinion is diluted as you can’t seem to respond with anything I say without veiled or direct insult.

Well you criticized Gatland without any reason, if you want to be engaged with like an adult try forming an adult argument. When you cannot bring yourself to see that he won the last tour but still say it was unsuccessful I reserve the right to call you out as talking clap trap. If that upsets you then I suggest you either have a think about what you are typing first or grow up a bit

tjagain

Ermm – aAA – first remove the beam in thine own eye

No criticism of Gatland or any welsh player is ever legitimate according to the posts you make on here

anagallis_arvensis

TJ your criticism is valid such as you have a point and back it up fair enough I may or may not agree thats why we have a thread! I have no problem with people being critical of anyone, even Gavin Henson, but I like people to back it up. Kryton doesnt.

Still All blacks looking shit so it’ll all be fine!

tjagain

Your posts AA certainly appear like you over react, It stops me engaging with you fairly frequently.

anagallis_arvensis

Oh right so Kryton says

and then backs this up with a point about the fact that the All Blacks are better and then says that the Lions havent been successful since 97 ignoring the fact that the lions won the last tour. I’m sorry if I take people up on such drivel.

tjagain

AA – what you don’t seem to understand is that for many of us the last lions tour was a muck up just averted. Wrong selections, wrong coach gave a poor Aus team that had been beaten by lowly scotland a chance.

Now we see the same poor slections on reputation not form meaning the lions team is not as strong as it might be.

anagallis_arvensis

AA – what you don’t seem to understand is that for many of us the last lions tour was a muck up just averted. Wrong selections, wrong coach gave a poor Aus team that had been beaten by lowly scotland a chance.

its an opinion, but the tour overall was certainly successful.
    Now I dont like Gatland very much but being critical of him without seeming to have any clue what he could do better whilst just waiting for him to fail is not what the lions are about.
    I even supported woodentops lions

Kryton57

any clue what he could do better

Something other than one on one running without support lines and passing straight down the line until the Lions run out of players? If course, that could be the players themselves ignoring their coach…

anagallis_arvensis

So you havent been taking any notice of how they’ve been playing then? Admittedly they havent done too well against very good opposition but that has not been how they have been trying to play.

exibit a, clueless welsh lump Moriarty running at space
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPj8GZK1B20[/video]

exibit b stout noble yeomen Teo takes straight line into contact no doubt as Gatland wants, however useless welsh biggerana dancing pillock doesnt give him the ball as per the plan instead passing to a forward playing wide out from the ruck, I’m sure Gatland was fuming at this. Biggar then compounds the error and loops round him causing two players to make risky offloads, Gatland hates these before by some fluke the fleet footed English 13 rescues the idiot celts from their errors and scores a try[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBMC4LAUSng[/video]

anagallis_arvensis

Here’s a try Gatland like, straight lines and a cheating welshman to help!!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X28vpI5TOSE[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 5,001 through 5,040 (of 6,096 total)

The topic ‘Rugby thread 2016/2017’ is closed to new replies.