Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 415 total)
  • Rugby – Heineken cup
  • duckman

Hey don’t knock it, I get to be 4th/5th official at the pro teams now…Oh hang on,supervising benches/sin bins at Murrayfield/Firhill in Feb 😕

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Great away win for Ulster tonight at Edinburgh, looking forward to taming a few tigers next fri!!!!

Frankers
    Free Member

Is there a wage cap in Ireland or is it the same as France??

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I was under the impression that (most of the) the international squad (unlike say, Tommy Bowe, who seems to like a career with a mediocre team like the Ospreys) is contracted to the IRFU and “released” to the provinces (Leinster, Connacht, Ulster, Munster) for Heineken Cup, Pro 12 (or whatever it’s called this week), etc.

So when the 6N is on, the players are called back centrally and only released if not needed in the international squad. I have no idea what the salary conditions are though.

I had a quick google and couldn’t turn anything up. If you look on the Beeb though, you’ll see a recent story where PO’C signed a deal with Ireland & Munster, not just with Munster. I don’t really know how the intricacies work.

The system has probably contributed a lot to the resurgence of Ireland in the 6N from (very) occasional successes to a bit more consistency because you don’t get your fly half or no 12 getting injured on a weekend when they’re not needed for international duty.

Frankers
    Free Member

No I meant does the likes of Munster have a wage cap like English clubs, no cap in France and teams having free use of municipal grounds

Just asking like…… not looking for excuses why English teams seem to be struggling in HK 🙂

duckman

I was also wondering how the IRFU can afford to ensure that players don’t seek more money in France or Japan? We have been skint for 15 years as we paid off Murrayfield,it is only the last 6 months that we can afford to pay the same as the English teams as both pro teams now have a decent budget. But the provinces in Ireland were able to recruit the likes of Howlett when the obvious choice was Japan.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

duckie, have a look at attendances at Thomond, and latterly, the RDS. Jersey sales are massive for both provinces too (again of late for Leinster). The provinces are in fairly rude health. Growing up in Limerick, Thomond was a concrete shithole that hardly anyone went to. Look at it now. Arguably, rugby is now the foremost sport in Limerick ahead of hurling.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Well Frankers what is your prediction for tonight? I think it will be close Ulster will win, I can’t see them scoring 4 trys and I think Tigers will get a bonus point. Really looking forward to it!!! SUFTUM!!!!

DD you are quite right the Ireland players are contracted directly to IRFU not the provinces. Why do they not go to France for more money? I’d say Bob Casey will tell you the reason. Not many playing outside Ireland make it into the national team

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Edinburgh / racing metro tonight – a fantastic game last time so heres hoping.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Will be a big ask TJ. But I hope you get a result

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

edinburgh up at the half and a cracking game – both teams going for it. Refusing kicks and going for tries

One for the neutrals – watch it chaps

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BlindMelon – Member

Will be a big ask TJ. But I hope you get a result

ta

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

and the tries keep coming

Pigface
    Free Member

Ospreys doing it to late, fair play to the burgh doing well and should be in quarters with a home draw. Hope Leicester lose.

Frankers
    Free Member

Oh crap 🙁

BlindMelon
    Free Member

We want 4, we want 4!!!!!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

We got 4!!!!! Tigers mauled literally !!!!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Whoooo and indeed hooooooooooooooooooooo
    🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Godman doing a ROG!! Well done Edinburgh.

Frankers I feel sorry for you man, the lack of fight from the Tigers was very disappointing am sure as a fan. Can’t wait to next week!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That a game of rugby how it should be. Open, fast, both teams going for it, result in doubt till the end, no foul play, no professional fouls, no yellow cards.

And edinburgh won 🙂 😀 🙂 🙄 😉

duckman

Just watched the Ulster game, cracking from both sides, and Embra! Half way their guys,well done.

Good point DD about how the Irish provinces are now self-propagating;Nice place to watch,fans buy strips,turn up each week=revenue=more to spend on ruby. Never happen here because of the old-school-tie network in Edinburgh/Glasgow,despite the Irish example.Even a superteam in the borders would follow the example of Munster without having to compete with any other sport. But in the borders they would have watched their club’s 2xv even if the border pro team had been playing Tolouse,free,in the next town.

anagallis_arvensis

scarlets doing well so far…. mighty Aviva looking a bit shit this w/e

dunsapie
    Free Member

Scarlets 17-29 Northampton Saints
    Northampton did better AA!

Pigface
    Free Member

AA jinxes the Scablets 😉 as long as Cardiff beat the Not Nots

anagallis_arvensis

scarlets would be good if they had a pack but Alain Rolland and his 5 million final warnings was awfull, him and the scarlets 9 need shooting.

In other news Henson stands outside that **** Parks and watches him kick the leather off the ball.

duckman

If Parks is so crap, why don’t they play Gav at 10? Might he be a bit gash himself?

anagallis_arvensis

Might have something to do with him not having played more than 10 games in two years and hasnt played 10 since 2005 as far as i recall.

Scamper
    Free Member

Balls, Glaws almost had it tonight. Makes next Fridays match against Toulouse an irrelevance apart from a good night out for some beers and rugby. A closer Group than it looked.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Interesting results tonight. Helps Edinburgh.

Glaws beat Toulose Scampers a great win

Scamper
    Free Member

Great night at Kingsholm. Good platform for our back 3 to cut them apart. No substitute for pace.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

:mrgreen:

Pigface
    Free Member

Where have you been DD? your guys are flying in this years competition. Very impressive, amazing Munster result.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Think Munster have stuttered but they were impressive today. That Zebo looks handy. MalIinder can **** off. 🙂

Top seeds for the QFs as the third best Irish team. I’ll take that for now.

duckman

Munster’s old bones tough it out again 😀 Beasted in the scrum,but fought for every inch everywhere else.It was great seeing the cocky Saints taken apart, did you see Hartley’s grumpy wee face at the restart after leaking 50 points? Huffy does not even come close. Classy from the fans as well, booing O’Gara at kick time. So to recap in case anybody thinks I am being vague…Get it right up you Northampton. Now c’mon Embra!

duckman

Glitchy double post

anagallis_arvensis

Every one loves to see northampton loose, shame Gashton wasnt playing he’s perfectly suited to them. Not sure what Saffacens will make of him.

duckman

So A-A, which capital city will make the quarters?

anagallis_arvensis

If both win both will be thru will they not? Neither look capable of going much further though.
    Wish i’d watched the saints munster game, did it look like the big saints pack ran out of puff again?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If both win almost certain both go thru – off to the game this afternoon 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 415 total)

The topic ‘Rugby – Heineken cup’ is closed to new replies.