Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,484 total)
  • Rugby 22-23 Season
  • tjagain

Whether there is enough time now for Scotland and Wales to close the gap is doubtful.

for Scotland there is no doubt. We are deservedly heading down the rankings. We have a difficult group and will not get out of the group stages. Perhaps then we can get rid of Townsend.

olddog

Atmosphere at Twickenham seems really flat

gauss1777
    Free Member

No doubt the media, if not England fans, will be totally confident of them topping their World Cup group. However, both Argentina and Japan could cause them problems if they don’t play cohesively. Whilst England had good games against Australia and New Zealand in the last World Cup, they failed to impress in the group stage.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

Very dull and rugby played to todays EJ formula. There’s no spark, not many teams will be worried about our tenacity to have one out runners running into people, and conceding pens.

It’s a tale of individual performances, yet it’s a 15 person game.

tjagain

Even considering the weather its unambitious. Argentina are a good side tho and need to be respected

gauss1777
    Free Member

Very dull and rugby played to todays EJ formula.

We keep being told that England are keeping their ‘new moves’ secret, ready for the World Cup- sounds like bull shit to me. I can understand why Wales and Scotland fans are keen for a new coach, but if I was an England fan I’d be desperate to be shod of Jones.

Game on now mind! ( currently 23:24)

gauss1777
    Free Member

Wow!!

anagallis_arvensis

Just saw the last 15 of that, not sure I’ll bother with the rest! Well played Argentina.

olddog

England are so unimaginative. Argentina similar.

Kryton57

Well done Argentina!

desperate to be shod of Jones

Should have taken that chance a year ago, surely English performance can’t get worse than this.

joelowden

…. Congratulations to Argentina. England pretty poor .. again….

tjagain

I’d be desperate to be shod of Jones.

Swap for Toonie?

anagallis_arvensis

Not looking forward to Wales playing them next week!

anagallis_arvensis

Fair play Farrell speaks honestly

gauss1777
    Free Member

Swap for Toonie?

Nah. I have no idea who they could or should choose. Stuart Lancaster?

tjagain

Go on – please make Toonie an offer he can’t refuse

Bear
    Free Member

England dire, Jones has dirt on someone at Twickenham otherwise he would have been out months ago…..

olddog

England need more creative players to support Smith. Should drop either Farrell or Tuilagi, prob swap Billy V out for a more pacey 8.

I think Jones’ plan is to use big straight running players to soften up the position with the idea to switch to a more flair he later – but it’s too much of a gear shift after 50 minutes.

TBH it’s so turgid if I was an England fan and paid the Hughes sums for a Twickenham ticket I’d feel pretty short changed

5plusn8
    Free Member

It was a wierdly boring game, Argies better though.
    England were dire, but I don’t want to undermine Argentine performance, they did a great job.
    England seem to be able to make something less than the sum of its parts. A group of incredibly tlaneted palyers making talentless perfomances.

anagallis_arvensis

Should drop either Farrell or Tuilagi

Can we have them?

olddog

Argentina were pretty dire too. I think we have a bit of NH bias and don’t notice when Argentina beat Aus and NZ. They will be competitive with NH sides and performance judged on that

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Kinda weird how Argentina’s standard of rugby has risen so much in, I dunno, is it nine or ten years (?) competing with AUS/SA/NZ in the championship. Contrast that with Italy still being, let’s face it, a bit dire* after more than 20 years in the 6N.

Anybody else have an opinion on this one?

*that’s probably a bit unfair but they’re pretty much last all the time unless one of the other 5 have a complete wobbly of a tournament.

EDIT: Admittedly, I think maybe Argentina were perhaps starting from a slightly higher plane.

tjagain

So the marmite Mr Russell. Apparently “out of form” I mean he has only had one man of the match award this last month, missed a couple of goal kicks and only played a half of the last match only scoring one try and all his kicks. He needs to do more!

bad highlights of the last racing match

tjagain

I wouldn’t mind so much the Russell situation if we had another 10 of a decent standard. I remember when we had steady old Chalmers and mercurial Townsend as our choice at 10. If the coach decided Townsend was not the man he wanted we had Chalmers to take over. currently we have Russell and no other international standard 10. Ross Thompson may come good but neither Hastings nor Kinghorn is good enough. If we had a Chalmers available then its a decent choice. We don’t

frankconway

England v Samoa in the RL world cup semis should be a cracking match.

TiRed

TBH it’s so turgid if I was an England fan and paid the Hughes sums for a Twickenham ticket I’d feel pretty short changed

I resemble that statement. Argentina tries were worth watching. Although the atmosphere was pretty flat in the stadium. Nice post-match pizza and train home now. Son1 wants to watch the league semifinal- he plays semi-pro.

olddog

Aus NZ semi is local to me. Would normally be a cracker but NZ have been struggling. Might chance my arm if there are still tickets

Bear
    Free Member
    tjagain

More on Finn from the racing coach

duckman

anagallis_arvensis
    Not looking forward to Wales playing them next week!

Posted 19 hours ago

Swap you?

tjagain

Finns back!

Kryton57

Every reason we should have got rid of Eddie while we had the chance right here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63554585

TLDR, so busy naval gazing about the style of Rugby England should play the RWC just 11 months before they do, he forgot to coach them how to beat Argentina

Holy **** we are screwed.

tjagain

What gets me about that nonsense in particular is look at Ireland – top of the rankings and playing very well. Are they not preparing for the WC?

Kryton57

Well thats a team that knows how it plays. England don’t know how to play. Thats Eddie Jones and his Gazillion selections / positional movement / reliance on POWER!!! and Owen Farrell, and 1 injury prone Centre.

anagallis_arvensis

A good point I think.

tjagain

Ive argued this for years. There is no substitute for pace.

5plusn8
    Free Member

These embedded videos never ever work for me.
    Anyway I agree, Nowell has lots of qualities, but he is not a speedster.
    I argue Steward isn’t the slowest but the others is fair.

Kryton57

Eddie thinks we are going to out power everybody, doesn’t he remember South Africa, or that we didn’t play like that to beat the AB’s? I guess thats what he means by rethinking our strategies, but he’s left too late. IIRC they spent 4 years developing the vs NZ game, so he’s going to change them into.. ahem… world beaters in 11 months?

Delusional, I think we’ll beat Japan and Eddie will go “See, told you so…” but we need to remember they are not the Argentinian team that has been playing so well.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Thats the issue though, every time we win the press say we are world beaters. No matter the circumstances.
    Like beating Italy is always promoted as a great display of brilliance…
    Never mind, we can just support one of our neighbours in WC instead. I like seeing decent rugby, maybe Ireland will make a decent perfomance this time.

The funny thing is, look at the womens game, England just squeaked past Canada last weekend, and Canada are all amateurs. Eng play a similar game to the men and Canada at times were running rings round us. Whilst we did beat the Black Ferns earlier, they are a new team and I think we are going to get walloped by them on Sat. (0630 on ITV)

Kryton57

Ooof no. The Roses have a power game, but they also have some incredibly skilled and pacey backs, so I can’t agree on that point. Also, Canada are the top ranked Amateur side, have several players playing unpaid in top teams, and have pretty much the same game as England, not all is what it seems there – very much the unstoppable force against an immovable object in both directions.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 1,484 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.