Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,484 total)
  • Rugby 22-23 Season
  • scotroutes

This is the 10th anniversary of the 6N where England were supposed favourites,

Isn’t every year the 10th anniversary of the 6N where England were supposed favourites?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Isn’t every year the 10th anniversary of the 6N where England were supposed favourites?

In the eyes of the English press yeah. Any actual England fan, all we have his hope..
    We can only apologise. What makes it worse is the total delusion, like last year when we beat Italy and then the plaudits were rolled out, it was like winning the world cup because we beat them 33-0 and made it look flashy, but they were missing half their biggest names, and had nothing like the caps, “talent”, or resources of the English Squad. It was 1st team men vs boys.
    Shameful, and one eyed stupidity.
    It reminded me of the video of disgraced PM Johnson flattening an 11 year old on a rugby pitch and being proud of himself about it.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Anyway I wrote that in the wrong order, I meant the 10th year of wales win after being beaten first by Ireland, the “england favourites” was an aside… I was trying to cheer him up for his birthday. when is yours maybe we can find some +ve rugby facts?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

rankings

1 Ireland  90.7

2 France 90.01

3 NZ 88.98

4 SA 88.97

5 Scotland 83.06

6 England 82.15

7 Aus 81.8

8 Argentina 80.72

9 Wales 78.02

10 Japan 77.39

I am enjoying the rankings this week

Its hard to see anyone but one of the top 4 winning the WC for sure

BruceWee

Yeah, except for the fact that all four of those teams are on the same side of the draw.  A maximum of two of them are getting to the semi-finals (even Scotland are on the same side of the draw).

Chances are two of those four will then meet in the finals but who knows in a knockout competition.

We could well end up seeing Wales in the final.

bob_summers

I was trying to cheer him up for his birthday

LRZ is supposed to be back for the Lloegr game.  Not sure if that’s still going to be the case.  I think he would’ve scored against Eire.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Chances are two of those four will then meet in the finals but who knows in a knockout competition.

Even though NZ and France are in the same group, and Ire SA in the same group, the winner and runner up in the same group could, in theory, both make it through to the final.

tjagain

My point was really that there is a gulf between the top 4 teams and those below them

Now I love some stats but the england / Scotland game throws up some interesting stuff.

Comparisons with the backrows combined

Defending – England made 24 tackles and missed five  Scotland made 59 and missed 2

Attacking England 39 carries for 60 m and 14 passes  Scotland 21 carries for 24 m and 11 passes

I think that shows a huge difference in how the teams were set up to play and the tactics.  Scotland really only used forward carries ( not just back row) to set up the backs not as a weapon in itself.  English forwards were predictable and easily stopped

5plusn8
    Free Member

Look at the 22 stats, Scotland were only in our 22 for about 90 seconds and converted to points every time. The English attack was rubbish by comparison. I don’t think it is the forwards being predictable, more that you moved the ball out after 1st or 2nd phase, whereas we did not…
    However 2 of the scotland tries were scored from runs starting outside the 22.

BruceWee

Even though NZ and France are in the same group, and Ire SA in the same group, the winner and runner up in the same group could, in theory, both make it through to the final.

Sure, but the point is that only two of those teams are going to make it past the 1/4 finals (winner of pool A plays runner up of pool B and vice versa).

Chances are they’ll make the finals but in the knockout stages anything can happen.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Sure, but the point is that only two of those teams are going to make it past the 1/4 finals (winner of pool A plays runner up of pool B and vice versa).

Yeah exactly.

mrhoppy

Also AA – This is the 10th anniversary of the 6N where England were supposed favourites, Ireland beat Wales at home, and then Wales beat England 30-3 and went on to win the 6N.

I think it’s a safe assumption that the only thing Wales are likely to win this year is a splintery spoon.

BruceWee

Yeah exactly.

TJs point was that it was hard to see past one of the top 4 teams.

My point is that if the maximum number of top 4 teams in the final 4 is limited to 2 then that gives a lot more opportunity for massive upsets than if the maximum possible number of top 4 teams in the final 4 was 4.

It’s stupid to do the seedings three years before the competition.

duckman

It’s stupid to do the seedings three years before the competition.

I think it is especially an issue this time around because of the decline of Oz and to a lesser extent the AB’s compared to the rise of France and Ireland. SA/ NZ/ ENG/ OZ  have probably made up the majority of last 4 places in every World Cup.

gordimhor

I’d say that international rugby is at a fairly young and somewhat precarious stage of development. How big is the group of countries who have a real chance of winning a top class international tournament? I’d say there’s six. Next question is are the authorities doing enough to expand the international game, to bring in other countries as more than cannon fodder for the world cup?

5plusn8
    Free Member

You have to pick a deadline and I think 3 years out is more to do with booking tickets/accomadation/flights etc for fans.
    I went to 2007 world cup 1/4s in Marseille and we booked 2 years in advance. Marseille, Aix en Provence, the whole area was rammed.
    I would say whenever the draw was made it would still cause issues.
    The 1/4s kind of tidys it up for me.
    EG should NZ and France been in group a, and SA and IRE in group b?
    Probably not, as you do not want the two best teams facing each other too early or one will get knocked out. However they get separated out in the 1/4s so there is a good chance they will meet in the final if they are good enough.
    Conversely, yes there is a chance of Wales making the final, but don’t we like/need upsets? It adds to the fun.

(NB – Wales were in the same group as Fiji in 2007 and got knocked out by them in the group stages, so there were loads of Welsh fans in Marseille supporting Fiji, it was excellent fun, and guess who Wales have in their group this time, in France…… FIJI!!!)

mrhoppy

You have to pick a deadline and I think 3 years out is more to do with booking tickets/accomadation/flights etc for fans.

And yet football world cup, euros, etc all manage to have the teams determined around 6 months before.  It’s a nonsense that it needs to be that far in advance it doesn’t need to be more than 12 months out.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Yeah it was only an assumption, I’m not defending them…

It does make it easier to organise for fans tho.

tjagain

How big is the group of countries who have a real chance of winning a top class international tournament? I’d say there’s six.

4 at the moment.  France, NZ, Ireland, SA  england might pull back to join them but not right now

. Next question is are the authorities doing enough to expand the international game, to bring in other countries as more than cannon fodder for the world cup?

A lot goes to the minnows ( teams like Spain. Uruguay) in terms of coaching, support, tournaments etc – the issue is those that grow out of being minnows like Georgia and Fiji.  Neither get to play top sides very often.  IMO Georgia should get 3 AIs every year and Fiji should get more games home and away.  Between the last two world cups Fiji had something like 8 competitive matches in 4 years.  6N teams usually have 11 games a year.  No one has toured pacific islands since scotland about 7 years ago ?

The pacific islands do at least have a team in the SH club tournament at last

robertajobb

The 6N needs to have relegation down to the 2nd tier in Europe, and the top team from the next tier down (whether Georgia or Romania or Spain or Germany etc) promoted.

But the 6 incumbent teams / unions will never buy into that as it will cost them some ££,

tjagain

I think once we have a few years of Georgia playing regular AIs then a playoff would be right – not automativc relegation. At the moment Georgia are not good enough

gordimhor

@tja I was being kind to the Aussies, who are clinging on to fading memories of glory and France who promise a lot but until now haven’t delivered. England are also clinging to memories of Wilkinsons drop kick. . Ireland and Wales have been good but never quite good enough.

There could be a competitive autumn tournament in the northern hemisphere with a team from the lower European tier and something should be done to aid the island nations too They’ve all been plundered by the rest of the rugby world

duckman

I’m not sure there would be the market for it, plus; when? Autumn is the obvious choice but you would go way over the window, so diminish interest. We don’t sell out the weaker test as it is.

tjagain

I’ve watched the England match half a dozen times now. Magical tho Duhans first try is its an individual effort. I think his second try is actually much better as it shows where Scotland are as a team now. Scotland caught a kick way back in their 22. Almost every team on the planet would set up a pressure relieving kick from there ( exit strategy) Scotland however look to attack first every time they get the ball no matter where. Now if the attack is not on ie after two passes there is no space or a couple of rucks and get nowhere they will kick but Scotland moved the ball from wide on the left to wide on the right, Steyn made good yards. Quick recycle and back to the left wing and in for the score. They went side to side twice and gained 80+ m to score. there was no luck in that – it was just good attack from deep and playing too fast for England.

gordimhor

I take  both your points Duckman. We are still left with a very small group and ultimately a number of the said group are not competitive with the real top teams.

@tjagain
    I agree although first try was extraordinary the second try was the more satisfying as you could see the thought and teamwork

5plusn8
    Free Member

French squad to play Ireland is up. Looks solid.

duckman

Only change in Scotland side is Nel being rested for Faegerson. In other news, reports are coming out that Worcester are not coming back.

onehundredthidiot

If Worcester or wasps did come back who would sign for them?  They’d have to break the pay cap just to attract “3rd XV” players ie old n slow past their prime or too young for most 1st teams.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I heard they renamed them Sixways rugby, thats the name of the roundabout outside the club…..

duckman

It gets worse, despite rumours of Wasps moving to Sixways, the new owner of “Sixways Rugby” said they are going to take over a club ( Stourbridge) and  move them 23 miles to Sixways. That conveniently avoids the onerous task of moving the actual Wocester club up approx 6 divisions of lower tier rugby. Probably kills an old community club as well.

5plusn8
    Free Member

That sucks.

anagallis_arvensis

ie old n slow past their prime or too young for most 1st teams.

Wales just called they want there election strategy back.

So another club I used to play against as a kid (Stourbridge) are going to be **** over ..great..

Wales drop Faletau…can’t help but think that’s a bad idea. Excited to see if Jenkins and Tshinza can step up though. I’d have put Jac at 7 over Reffel and Faletau at 8…can’t help but think that packs going to get reamed though. Still at least we will see if these youngsters are up to it.

peteimpreza

Just gets worse for Worcester fans……….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64502475

Kicked out of the premiership and now deleted from the matrix.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Wales drop Faletau…can’t help but think that’s a bad idea. Excited to see if Jenkins and Tshinza can step up though. I’d have put Jac at 7 over Reffel and Faletau at 8…can’t help but think that packs going to get reamed though. Still at least we will see if these youngsters are up to it.

All the Scotland fans at my work and those I’ve heard on the BBC rugby podcasts are extremely confident they’ll beat Wales on Saturday. Whilst I think Scotland are clear favourites, their total confidence surprises me. I’m hoping the Wales youngsters go well and the game is tight. The game being as good as over after 10 minutes against Ireland was miserable.

Very likely to be 3 home wins this weekend, following the 3 away wins last weekend. I shall be cheering on, the away teams 😁

tjagain

All the Scotland fans on the rugby boards I am on are very apprehensive. 🙂 Wales are our bogey team.  In recent years we have beaten England and France more often I think

gauss1777
    Free Member

All the Scotland fans on the rugby boards I am on are very apprehensive. 🙂 Wales are our bogey team.  In recent years we have beaten England and France more often I think

Fair enough. As I said, I do think Scotland will win. Hopefully not by a huge margin. As a Wales fan, I’d just like to see something promising to latch onto.  Losing the first game has taken away quite a bit of the excitement for the tournament as a whole.

tjagain

I’d like to smash ’em.  Time for some payback.  I’m still smarting from 2010 FFS let alone last year. 🙂  Its 20 years since Scotland won the first two games in the 5/6 N

I think more likely we will get pulled into an arm wrestle and it will be close but 5th in the world compared to 9th we should be OK.

I will be in my usual place behind the sofa

5plusn8
    Free Member

Wales effort against Ireland was really quite good. Dropping Falateau based on last week is a good idea, however he can put in a shift every now and then, so you need to hope this weekend isn’t that.

duckman

I look at the Wales team and know that if we beat it then it will be a horrible close game. Inside I have a fear of another undeserved defeat caused by a red to an important player.

gauss1777
    Free Member

undeserved defeat caused by a red to an important player.

I’m struggling to remember any unwarranted red cards. Or undeserved defeats to be honest.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,484 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.