Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,484 total)
  • Rugby 22-23 Season
  • anagallis_arvensis

Wales have plenty of previous for attracting folk who qualify for more than one country.

Not really the same is it, loads of players qualify for far more than one team. We are talking picking players who have played international rugby for other countries.

tjagain

Which players are these that scotland have picked?  I can think of one junior all black ( not full all black)

BruceWee

Not sure what the issue is, tbh.

It’s sport. You do everything within the rules to win. I think most international level competitors want to play at international level and I very much doubt their skills are going to be diminished based on which badge they are wearing.

Are you worried they won’t work as hard cause they’re wearing a blue jersey?

If your argument is that the rule is wrong then your beef is with World Rugby rather than Scotland.

tjagain

Sorry – missed your post naming the players.

Ruaridh McConnochie – clearly scottish – look at his name.  🙂  Weird pick tho.  I have never heard of him and we have plenty of wingers.

Dempsey has earned his place playing for Glasgow.

No I’m not hugely happy about this but its a provision that is there  IMO WR mucked this up.  It should have been only if you were going from a higher tier to a lower one.  At least he is a player who has scottish ancestry and has played for 3 years in Scotland

onehundredthidiot

At 31 he’s pushing the prime winger category. As you say not short of wingers.

A lot of England players expressing the wish to play for Tonga. Which is worse going back to tongann team taking places or being poached from tongan team?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Seems a step too far to me.
    Not bothered about non Welsh coaches, they are not on the pitch.

Me too, I get its the rules so fair play on Wales for doing it, but its a shit rule.
    I don’t mind it for tier 2 or below but you should be able to join a senior tier 1 team after playing in another tier 1 team at senior level.
    Eg I don’t mind if england players go to georgia and then they qualify as a team for tier 1 next year but just skipping over after a 3 year wait is crap.

anagallis_arvensis

It should have been only if you were going from a higher tier to a lower one.

100% agree.

fair play on Wales for doing it,

They haven’t, Scotland have. It’s not a big issue just interesting thing to comment when squads announced.

anagallis_arvensis

Wonder what sort of team Gatland will pick.

Changing of the guard 15?

Loopy
    Dyer
    Grady
    Hawkins
    Adams
    O Williams
    T Williams
    Faletau
    Morgan
    Tshinza
    Beard
    Jenkins
    Francis
    Owens (captain so no Lake)
    Carre

tjagain

I went and had a look on the rugby forum I am on.  No controversy over Dempsey as he has scottish ancestry and has done his time playing in Scotland ie he is committed to Scotland

McConnichie is not well accepted given when he was younger he was offered a place in the Scotland squad and turned it down.  I think he is only there for injury cover given our first choice wings are injured leaving us with only a couple of experienced wings but the consensus is that another Scots wing like could have been brought in but the contenders are young and inexperienced.

5plusn8
    Free Member

They haven’t, Scotland have.

Apols, I lost the details…

ElVino

I went and had a look on the rugby forum I am on.

What’s the view on Healy’s swift elevation to the Scottish Squad? Munster forum I frequent all wish him well, all of the negative sentiment is to the Province / IRFU for letting him go. I’ve watched a lot of him for Munster, he has a cannon of a boot and a great pass his limitations seem to be defences don’t expect him to run and for a big guy he is an average defender. There had been signs recently that these elements were improving.

tjagain

Im conflicted basically but at least he has made his choice in early parts of his career.  I can’t help feeling if he had been made first choice at Munster and / or given a sniff of a Irish callup he would not have moved to Scotland.  I don’t like being the second best option.  He does have a scottish parent IIRC

As an aside why can’t Scotland produce fly halves?  Ive been following Scots rugby for 50 years and far too much of the time especially since professionalism we just have not had a decent 10

Dan Parks?  Phil Godman? Gordon Ross?  would any of them have got a game for any other tier one nation?  We produce an endless stream of quality back rows and 9s and a good few full backs but 10s?  IN that 50 years I can only think of 2 real quality 10s.  Rutherford and Russell.  Townsend was part great player part donkey.  Chalmers was competent but dull.  Patterson nearly made it and perhaps would have done with a  coaches fullbacking

5plusn8
    Free Member

I honestly don’t get this, if he is considered decent by the coaches, then great, you have a new player. End of. What’s with all the drama?

Also Dan Parks, not quality? What shyte.

tjagain

he was not known as desperate Dan for nothing!  A good servant to Scottish rugby and persuaded to come out of retirement against his better judgement when he was a real disaster.   But would he have been anywhere near another home nations team?  the only international class thing he had was his sideburns!  Have you got rose tinted glasses on?

ElVino

You could argue Ireland have only produced one quality 10 in the last 15 years it’s just he has gone on for ever. Ulster have Billy Burns at 10, very similar to the Healy situation, he has a fair few caps for Ireland. We have a few now with potential but certainly no one to replace Sexton which is why we are persisting with him even though he will be 38 at the World Cup.

tjagain

I read that Healy was not even number one at Munster?

ElVino

Joey Carbury is No 1 at Munster when fit which has been rare enough, he is No 2 for Ireland. Healy was starter for most of last season. This season Jack Crowley has emerged as a decent prospect but mostly starts at 12. Crowley ended up playing for Ireland against the Aussies in November when Sexton withdrew just before kick off. Fans are pretty divided as to who is the best but Munster were very keen to keep Healy its just he wants to play international rugby.

duckman

McConnachie is a terrible pic for us, he isn’t an improvement on what we have.But whether he has played for another country or not is a moot point going forward, it is the rules now and we would be daft not to do it. Watch the Vunipola brothers finally play for Wales in 3 years now Borthwick doesn’t fancy them.
    I wonder if picking an England cast off was accelerated after Rufus McLean pleading guilty to a catalogue of domestic abuse charges, there is a little less in the way of squad depth because of the timely action of Glasgow and the SRU in suspending him ( prior to what I would hope is a watertight sacking.) That will be McLean off to London Irish no doubt, should fit in fine with Paddy Jackson.

Teej; Townsend and Chalmers were both Lions! GT especially played all over the world for a lot of money.I think you are mixing “quality 10’s” up with “potentially the best in the world at that time.” Which Rutherford and Russell can claim to be.

tjagain

There cannot have been much choice for the lions then!  🙂

Maybe I’m a bit harsh on the pair of them but the basic point still stands.  We seem to struggle to produce 10s.  I guess I am scarred but the dross we had for many years.

ElVino

Irish squad has been announced, fairly settled no Joey Carbery is the big surprise. Keith Earls lucky to make the squad he has been awful since he returned from injury. Like most countries we are stacked with back row choices of a similar enough level but Gavin Coombes has been outstanding recently for Munster offers something a bit different so might be a great bench option. Will probably change after final round of H Cup matches this weekend with injuries and suspensions.

Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 41 caps
    Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 14 caps
    Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 7 caps
    Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution) 2 caps
    Keith Earls (Munster/Young Munster) 98 caps
    Jamison Gibson Park (Leinster) 23 caps
    Mack Hansen (Connacht) 8 caps
    Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 25 caps
    Jordan Larmour (Leinster/St Marys College) 30 caps
    James Lowe (Leinster) 15 caps
    Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 9 caps
    Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 100 caps
    Jimmy O’Brien (Leinster/Naas) 3 caps
    Jamie Osborne (Leinster/Naas) *
    Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 47 caps
    Johnny Sexton (Leinster/St Mary’s College)(captain) 109 caps
    Jacob Stockdale (Ulster/Lurgan) 35 caps

Forwards (20):

Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 8 caps
    Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 27 caps
    Tadhg Beirne (Munster/Lansdowne) 36 caps
    Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 33 caps
    Gavin Coombes (Munster/Young Munster) 2 caps
    Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 23 caps
    Tadhg Furlong (Leinster/Clontarf) 63 caps
    Cian Healy (Leinster/Clontarf) 121 caps
    Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 68 caps
    Rob Herring (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 31 caps
    Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 18 caps
    Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 48 caps
    Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University) 1 cap
    Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 89 caps
    Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 4 caps
    Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
    Cian Prendergast (Connacht/Corinthians) 1 cap
    James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 48 caps
    Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 13 caps
    Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 45 cap

BillMC

Seems to be a bit of consternation raised by the new rules on tackling below the waist.

tjagain

amateur game only.  But ” it will ruin the game ” seems to be the cry.  When i played many many many years ago we were taught to tackle below the waist.  the “choke tackle” seems to have come about from the use it or lose it rules for mauls

However the rule changes have stopped the clothesline or swing arm pretty much.  Its rare to see players polaxed nowadays compared to years ago

olddog

I have to admit I’m struggling with rugby – having been a lifelong fan and player in my youth. The issues being suffered by players – many of whom are younger than me – are making it harder to justify continuing to support the sport. Will the new tackle rules help? Possibly, certainly get some rebalancing of player sizing in the backs as smaller more agile players will be harder to tackle. Whether it will eliminate the problem, who knows. And it’s amateur game only as TJ says.

The problem is that the effect of any changes will take decades to play through. Is there any evidence that the existing new concussion protocols are having any effect. What is the evidence about whether long term cognitive issues and early onset dementia be caused by a series of spaced out incidents making the recent changes on assessment and compulsory recovery periods less effective?

Anyway – I will carry on watching for the the time being but would really like to see proper independent and evidence based assessment of the the various new protocols.

tjagain

I think the game will have to change a lot or will die.

anagallis_arvensis

Great win for Ospreys again!

Bear
    Free Member

Unbelievable effort!

gwaelod
    Free Member

Ospreys match was excellent

tjagain

Ospreys seem to have found a tough edge this year and are fighting hard to the end of games.  Good to see as strong welsh sides are needed

Edinburgh meanwhile seem to have forgotten Cockerills kick up the arse and gone back to being softies

anagallis_arvensis

I thought the French ref an absolute knob until he carried on being a knob and gave the try at the end 😄😄😄😄

The one he disallowed just before he said he saw grounding so the tmo needed conclusive evidence of no try which there wasn’t but he didn’t give it, the one he gave he saw nothing so tmo needed conclusive evidence of a try which there clearly wasn’t despite it being clear Morgan must of scored so he gave that one. Leicester fans will be fuming.

Wales 7 competition is massive, Reffel got about 240 000 turnovers, Tipuric was Tipuric and Jac Morgan was immense with ball in hand. One of them is unlikely to even bench for Wales if all stay fit. Massive downer that Lake got broken again though.

tjagain

Edinburgh get Sarries again today.  With half the team or more broken.  A win gets us a home QF but it hardly seems likely

anagallis_arvensis

1.45min in for the try, interesting hearing Healey say it’s a try there’s the ball…I can’t see it!! I watched live on S4c so didn’t know what they were saying…still no idea how that was given and not the one at around 1.28 on vid

duckman

Salaries losing to the worst professional team in Scotlands 2xv. Despite Leiths version of Private Fraser forecasting otherwise!

tjagain

🙂

Classic Edinburgh tho – a point short of of a home tie in the next round

Sarries are a dirty cheating bunch.

tjagain

Anyone else spot this?

onehundredthidiot

Not sure how those yellow cards weren’t red. Only mitigation I can see is “passive” tackle. But even that’s reaching as both players come forward to make the tackle.

Oh other mitigation is they are international players and 6N is coming up.

George’s concussion protocols need looked at.

tjagain

Is it time we reviewed the number of English and french clubs in the european cups?  they don’t seem to be bringing much quality.  😉

onehundredthidiot

But they bring money, as in stadia filling power.

bigblackshed

Just finished watching the Tigers v Ospreys game. Absolute cracker.

ElVino

Ospreys have a really strong team when everyone plays, watched them play a really strong Leinster team earlier in the month and they should have beaten them.

anagallis_arvensis

Ospreys have a really strong team when everyone plays,

They gave a very strong pack with good forward options on the bench, the backs are poor though. But packs win games or at least put you in a position to win them. Owen Williams has been an excellent signing though.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 1,484 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.