Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,902 total)
  • Rugby 2021-2022 Season
  • tjagain

was just laughing at him being outpaced by a scottish forward

Might have been better said as ” couldn’t catch a scottish forward” or something like ‘cos McInally didn’t run away from him but Farrell could not make up 3 m over 60 m

so not strictly accurate

sorry if you got offended – banter not allowed here now?

probably best if I just keep away from this thread as people seem to like to go off the deep end all the time – shame

anagallis_arvensis

sorry if you got offended – banter not allowed here now?

You are being a bit thin skinned, you have to stick around so that I can laugh at you when Scotland only beat Italy in the Six Nations!!

tjagain

Its not that – I seem to keep offending folk without intent.

anyway – you got no chance this 6N! We are going to win it.

duckman

You are being a bit thin skinned, you have to stick around so that I can laugh at you when Scotland only beat Italy in the Six Nations!!

I genuinely wish I could refute this with confidence.

onehundredthidiot

a_a winning mindset absolutely but there are expansive players in that squad. It’d be good to see them cut loose. England for decades have under utilised they’re back line potential and I think the modern game will be more about running the space and gaps not crash bang. It’s why you pick Simmonds/dombrant over billyV.

gauss1777
    Free Member

anyway – you got no chance this 6N! We are going to win it.

Seriously??

6Nations is a good way away at the moment, and I have little idea how the teams will prepare. Certainly I fear Wales fans might spend a lot of time behind the sofa.
    England look to be about to play a new, more exciting style of rugby. How long will that take to gel? Also Eddie Jones advocating attractive rugby feels like Boris Johnson promoting green policies.
    I presume Ireland will be further down their road and France even more so.
    Scotland have promised so much in recent years and they won a couple of games last year. They’ve got B&ILs in their squad, next year should indeed be their year.

ads678

England for decades have under utilised they’re back line potential and I think the modern game will be more about running the space and gaps not crash bang

This is why it’s tragic that Ford has never been used probably. I know people always bang on about him not being able to play behind a forward pack that isn’t firing, but he’s done amazing things for Tigers for a good few years, rescuing us from relegation.

If England had only given him runners….

Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited to see what Smith can do, but I just think he’ll end the same as every other 10, that’s actually tried to play expansive rugby for England. Unless they actually change or drop Farrell.

tjagain

Seriously??

Oh absolutely seriously of course *rolleyes*

Hopefully we can get the bonus points the lack of which has hampered us the last few years where we ended up with poor placings in the table for the number of wins. Actually scotland won 3 games each of the last 2 years IIRC

4th last year on points difference having won 3 games same as Ireland and France but below them on points difference / bonus points

4th the previous year having won 3 games same as Ireland but below them on points difference

2019 was shite

2018 3rd with 3 wins

Its been really close to a second place finish each year ( apart from 19) 🙁 nearly but no cigar. I’ll be very disappointed to be in the bottom half again

gauss1777
    Free Member

Actually scotland won 3 games each of the last 2 years IIRC

Sorry, I was thinking of away wins.

anagallis_arvensis

Did anyone watch Scarlets Treviso? Video ref, discuss, is it me?

tjagain

Watched leinster smash the weegies. Jeepers they are relentless

On my rugby forum the usual suspects whining about the video ref but I wouldn’t put much credence on that – they always whine

anagallis_arvensis

On my rugby forum the usual suspects whining about the video ref but I wouldn’t put much credence on that – they always whine

As do I that’s why I was after independent variafication!
    The problem is Welsh teams go away to Ireland and have Irish video refs, they come back to Wales and still have Irish video refs.
    The SA women who reffed Ospreys v Treviso last week was much better than the pillock today/yesterday/whenever it was. In general the SA refs have been a huge improvement on the standard of referees

tjagain

BBC highlights don’t show anything to make a view

anagallis_arvensis

as the controversial one was the first treviso

And the second, plus the two tries that Scarlets got disallowed from Steff Evans

tjagain

ON the BBC highlights ( I have now found the right ones) I see nothing wrong with either treviso try. Remember to rule it out the TMO must see something “clear and obvious” so if its just mm the on field decision stands. first one was he offside? Not clear and obvious but poor highlights make it tricky to judge

What do you think wrong with the second one?

It doesn’t show the disallowed ones

onehundredthidiot

Last weekend sarries were dominant and also had the rub of the green. It reminded me of taking my U16 team to merchiston where deep in the second half the spectators appluaded the fact we actually got a penalty in our favour. There’s some pretty one eyed reffing at times.

anagallis_arvensis

Scarlets first try was lovely and it’s great to see Scott Williams back where he belongs and playing well.

The try by the Treviso prop was a great scored too mind.

anagallis_arvensis

Remember to rule it out the TMO must see something “clear and obvious”

Typed a long reply then lost it!! Can’t be bothered again, but whilst the above is true it was a shit show of inconsistantcies from the ref and video ref when seen in the whole. The first one was a clear forward pass, his hands go forward and the 22m line is handily placed to see it went forward too.

anagallis_arvensis

Scarlets first try was lovely

I mean the second don’t I!!

anagallis_arvensis

Even the ref said “does he have both feet behind the ball” and clearly one isn’t.

Great finish and as an individual decision, try, fine, move on, but then later decisions made a mockery of it.

tjagain

Ah yes – I thought that about the pass when I saw the replay. You will always get inconsistencies in rugby reffing simply because a lot of it is subjective. As long as its consistent in that game thats as good as it gets and all fans only see the decisions that go against them not for them

Take the Hit in the air in the edinburgh game – it could have been seen as anything from a “rugby incident” with both players going for the ball to a deliberate piece of foul play and a red card and penalty try. Myself I thought it worth a yellow, the pundits were split, the ref gave just a penalty>>

totally subjective decision

tjagain

You see to me that is not “clear and obvious” from that replay

anagallis_arvensis

You see to me that is not “clear and obvious” from that replay

Which one? He clearly picks the ball up with one foot ahead and one behind. Even the ref says so and is then talked out of it by the video ref. As you say though what we want is consistency and in that game seen as a whole we didn’t get anything like it. What grips my shit is how we get “independent” video refs in some games and then other teams get homer video refs. The bemused looks on some of the Saffer refs in games in Ireland when the Irish video refs try to lead them has been hilarious this season. In general the addition of the saffers has been great in improving the ref standards.
    The line last week from the lady Saffer ref about not flying halfway round the world to baby sit toddlers was awesome!!

tjagain

I would need to see it from the other side – to me its marginal from what I could see hence ” not clear and obvious” but I wouldn’t like to bet my house on it or even a pint

I don’t know if its whole foot behind the whole ball or toe behind furthest foreward bit of ball

tjagain

Edinburgh struggling to put Zebre away. Real harum scarum game and the useless Frank Murphy as ref. He has ignored a load of fouls and two at least yellows -IMO of course. He is one of the refs I hate to see.

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t know if its whole foot behind the whole ball or toe behind furthest foreward bit of ball

Even the ref says “both feet need to be behind the ball, clearly one foot isn’t, unless you can see anything else” then we have five mins of wibble from the video ref before the try is allowed.

tjagain

That sounds like the refs fault then – he should be making the decision. What did the TMO say?

tjagain

London Irish beat exeter – and deny them a LBP even what is going on?

Can any of the english / gloucester fans tell me how Adam Hastings is getting on? got too big for his boots up here IMO but moving south could be the making of him as a player

5plusn8
    Free Member

Nice to Irish doing so well, or exeter doing so badly, I only caught the last 15 and I thought Chiefs were going to do their usual, so V glad they didn’t
    Chiefs looked off colour to be honest Irish were not that scintillating and I can’t see them being really threatening elsewhere.

anagallis_arvensis

Cracking win for Ospreys v Munster. Ospreys didn’t have internationals whilst Munster did.

Very little input from any video ref either!!

gauss1777
    Free Member

USA v New Zealand has done nothing to reduce my ill-ease with Wales playing them!

14:104

anagallis_arvensis

USA v New Zealand has done nothing to reduce my ill-ease with Wales playing them!

14:104

I’m sure all that falling over the line to score will have tired them out!

thols2
    Free Member

Australia not very convincing against Japan yesterday. They’re going to need to do a lot better than that if they want to be serious WC contenders.

tjagain

Japan are fine team with a good record of beating big names. 10th in the world. In recent years they have beaten SA, Ireland, Scotland all of whom have beaten Aus.

duckman

AA; with all the player Wales are missing against the All Blacks, thank goodness there isn’t covid in the squad as well…

onehundredthidiot

Tonga got to stand a good chance against a “fresh” Scotland.

tjagain

Its certainly not going to be the strongest Scotland team and Tonga have a chance for sure – but Tonga are not as strong a team as they have been.

Big question for Scotland is who plays at 10. Meatball (Weir) or Thompson – the steady chap or the new young whizz kid. Dancer and haircut ( Russell and Hastings) are both unavailable and so is VDW

I’d like to see Thompson start with Meatball on the bench

Second row is another tricky one. top 4 or 5 players unavailable. We have more depth than we used to but its a big drop in quality after the top 4 or 5

anagallis_arvensis

AA; with all the player Wales are missing against the All Blacks, thank goodness there isn’t covid in the squad as well…

**** off 😟😟😟😆🤪

Actually if it could get cancelled would the WRU still get the much needed cash?

Its certainly not going to be the strongest Scotland team and Tonga have a chance for sure – but Tonga are not as strong a team as they have been.

Yeah, let’s hope NZ are not as strong as they have been too

Quick run down; f who is unavailable, off the top of my head;

Loopy Liam, just had appendix out.
    1/2p poorly knee
    LRZ unavailable
    North broken
    Halaholo Covid
    Tompkins unvailable
    Biggar unavailable
    Sheedy unavailable
    Faletau unavailable
    Youngs unavailable
    Lydiate broken
    Tipuric broken
    Navidi broken
    Botham broken
    Christ ‘son of god’ Tszhuna unavailable
    Brown broken

On the plus side Calamity Cuthbert and the world flakiest/oldest ten in Priestland are back in the squad so…..

tjagain

I saw they had called up Cuthbert and thought ” shyte thats baaaaaad”

tjagain

The toonbola has been turned on again and given an extra shake or two. No one saw this coming. I guess we now know why King Blairhorn got a couple of outings at 10 for Edinburgh ( he was a 10 at age grade) so we have a full back at 10, a winger at 15, a 6 at 5 and a blend of inexperience and youth and midgets *shocked picachu face*
    What Meatball has done wrong I do not know

15. Darcy Graham – Edinburgh Rugby – 19 caps

14. Kyle Steyn – Glasgow Warriors – 1 cap

13. Sione Tuipulotu – Glasgow Warriors – Uncapped

12. Sam Johnson – Glasgow Warriors – 18 caps

11. Rufus McLean – Glasgow Warriors – Uncapped

10. Blair Kinghorn – Edinburgh Rugby – 25 caps

9. Ali Price (cc) – Glasgow Warriors – 42 caps

1. Pierre Schoeman – Edinburgh Rugby – Uncapped

2. George Turner – Glasgow Warriors – 17 caps

3. Zander Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 38 caps

4. Jamie Hodgson – Edinburgh Rugby – Uncapped

5. Rob Harley – Glasgow Warriors – 22 caps

6. Jamie Ritchie (cc) – Edinburgh Rugby – 27 caps

7. Hamish Watson – Edinburgh Rugby – 41 caps

8. Matt Fagerson – Glasgow Warriors – 13 caps

Replacements

16. Stuart McInally – Edinburgh Rugby – 40 caps

17. Jamie Bhatti – Glasgow Warriors – 18 caps

18. Oli Kebble – Glasgow Warriors – 8 caps

19. Marshall Sykes – Edinburgh Rugby – Uncapped

20. Luke Crosbie – Edinburgh Rugby – Uncapped

21. Nick Haining – Edinburgh Rugby – 8 caps

22. Jamie Dobie – Glasgow Warriors – Uncapped

23. Ross Thompson – Glasgow Warriors – Uncapped

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 1,902 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.