Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 1,696 total)
  • Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season
  • anagallis_arvensis

Like I said rusty!!

anagallis_arvensis

Hint of losing it in contact!!

anagallis_arvensis

Wales looked OK for about 2mins and been shite after that. Defence has been shite since Edwards left.

anagallis_arvensis

Not much for Scotland to worry about.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I think you’re a tad harsh a_a, I thought Wales played some good rugby. France however were just far too good. Very physical – can Scotland do that? Let’s hope some of Wales disjointedness was due to rustiness as you suggested. Scotland should be encouraged by the Wales display no doubt, but it may well be close and could be anyone’s game.

rhys
    Free Member

Can someone please explain what people see in Nick Tompkins? I just don’t get it.

dantsw13

A French team drilled by Edwards – we should all start worrying!!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Can someone please explain what people see in Nick Tompkins? I just don’t get it.

I was thinking the same. He seems to have skills and is keen/hard working. But to me plays a bit like a headless chicken. Then again I know nothing really about the game and people who do talk highly of him.

anagallis_arvensis

Can someone please explain what people see in Nick Tompkins

He’s a 12, other welsh 12’s are Halaholo, Johnny Williams and may nan.

gauss1777
    Free Member

He’s a 12, other welsh 12’s are Halaholo, Johnny Williams and may nan.

a_a how good do you think he will be once he’s settled into the side?

anagallis_arvensis

Too small and too headless so far.
    The defence is the biggest issue, far too easily out manoeuvered. Frances power runners and offloading was very good, but we should not be conceding 5 tries

bigblackshed

France played the game well.

Wales had some urgency and played some structured (training field plays) rugby quite well, but turned the ball over too easily. Defensively they were all over the place once the structure went. Webb and Davies looked out of options and rattled after a couple of phases. I can’t recall hearing North’s name mentioned during the first half.

The WRU letting Edwards go after the World Cup is the definition of insanity. What he’s done with France in a few months is the reason he will be able to go anywhere next and name his price. The stereotypical name given to a group of French rugby players shouldn’t be a “Team”, it should be an “argument”.

I remember a bit of commentary from years back. Paraphrasing: When you come to Paris you know that France will never be out of the game. They may well be having an argument, blowing their checks out in barely concealed contempt for each other, then all of a sudden they’ll go “shall we score some trys?” Then run down the other end of the field and put 20 points on you, whilst all you are doing is chasing ghosts.”

anagallis_arvensis

The French pack were bigger and stronger and far more dynamic. What I dont get is how we can have so many quality flankers and yet James Davies is still on the pitch!! The French centre pairing of Fickou and Vakatawa is bloody brilliant too whilst Wales had a headless chicken and Davies playing his second game in a year in midfield.

Dont understand why Biggar stayed on injured too, I have never seen him miss three kicks in a row before either.

And Halfpenny isnt good enough anymore, he’ll never let you down but he has zero attacking threat.

tjagain

Edinburgh go down to defeat at Connacht. 17 players missing due to internationals and injuries. We always struggle in international periods but it does give chance for some youngsters and Andrew Davidson took his. Watch for the name in the next couple of years

Pigface
    Free Member

JJ Williams RIP what a player

Kryton57

England V Italy – a pretty strong attacking side, looking for the BP and +24 PD to secure the 6N.   Furbank’s probably the weak link there but they have Watson to cover, and I’m surprised by Jonny Hill over Ewles experience – but I haven’t watched him play to be fair.  It’ll be interesting to see how any of the new boys step up in open play for the last 20.

15. George Furbank (Northampton Saints, 2 caps)
    14. Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 43 caps)
    13. Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 50 caps)
    12. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 29 caps)
    11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 56 caps)
    10. Owen Farrell (Saracens, 83 caps)
    9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 99 caps)
    1. Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 59 caps)
    2. Jamie George (Saracens, 49 caps)
    3. Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 35 caps)
    4. Maro Itoje (Saracens, 38 caps)
    5. Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped)
    6. Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 23 caps)
    7. Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 18 caps)
    8. Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 51 caps)

16. Tom Dunn, (Bath Rugby, uncapped)
    17. Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 18 caps)
    18. Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 3 caps)
    19. Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 15 caps)
    20. Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 3 caps)
    21. Dan Robson (Wasps, 2 caps)
    22. Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors, uncapped)
    23. Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby, uncapped)

And as I was posting, this

RIP and huge tributes 🙁

Spud

Bugger, one of the greats! RIP.

IdleJon

Dreadful commentator though.

anagallis_arvensis

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Liam Williams, Jonathan Davies, Owen Watkin, Josh Adams; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rhys Carre, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Will Rowlands, Alun Wyn Jones, Shane Lewis-Hughes, Justin Tipuric, Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Sam Parry, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Cory Hill, James Davies, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Patchell, Nick Tompkins.

That midfield 😟😟
    Davies on bench over Wainwright 😟😟😟
    North dropped completely. 😥👋😬
    Lloyd Williams? 😳😳😳

Is Shane Lewis-Hughes any good? What about Rowlands? Is Carre good enough?

Too many untested/unproven players too many with too little game time. Scots to win by 240 000 points. First time in years I am not expecting us to beat Scotland 😟😥

gruffj
    Free Member

Shane Lewis-Hughes has been an absolute monster for the Blues recently. I was very surprised to see him omitted from the original squad, and delighted to see him starting. I can see him and Taine Basham wreaking havoc for Wales over the coming years.

I didn’t expect to see Lloyd Williams playing for Wales again. I think he could do a great job tho, as long as Wales are winning when he comes on.

I think it will be a cracking, high scoring game on Saturday. Wales by a score.

anagallis_arvensis

Lloyd Williams wont let us down but he’s yesterdays man and he was bang average then, Hardy was in the squad and should bench.

Weather forecast is shit isnt it and Parc y Scarlets does shit weather better than most places!!!

tjagain

It’s ok AA. The Toonbola continues and there is a couple of glaring problems in the Scots team. No Duhan and no creativity in the centre.

Back row is somewhat lightweight as well. Rain does not favour us.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Scots to win by 240 000 points. First time in years I am not expecting us to beat Scotland 😟😥

Hee, hee, I was thinking much the same, but more like 24 points. If Scotland can’t come to Wales and win this game now, then I don’t know when they ever will. Wales haven’t even got the crowd to do their bit.
    Gatland has said the reason Scotland players don’t get chosen to tour with the Lions is because they don’t play well enough away from home. Now is their chance to put their hat in the ring. Otherwise, it’s Hogg alone again(?).

tjagain

If it had been last march I would have been comfortable with predicting the win but now? Wales have had chance to regroup and too many of the Scotland players have lost form plus the Toonbola in full swing has again robbed us of our best attacking talents.

tjagain

Gatland has said the reason

He may have said that but we all know its bollox. Scotland comprehensively outplayed wales before the last lions tour. were several places higher in the rankings and higher finished in the 6N. He has made a number of excuses why he does not pick Scots over the years.

Personally I’d be happy with a scottish boycott of the lions.

gauss1777
    Free Member

He may have said that but we all know its bollox. Scotland comprehensively outplayed wales before the last lions tour. were several places higher in the rankings and higher finished in the 6N. He has made a number of excuses why he does not pick Scots over the years.

Personally I’d be happy with a scottish boycott of the lions.

Scotland went to 5th place and Wales dropped to 7th following the game where Scotland ‘comprehensively’ beat Wales in the 6N – a game iirc that Wales were well ahead in the first half, for Scotland to blow them away in the second. It was at Murrayfield though, so kinda fits in with what Gatland said. Although it also suggests Wales weren’t playing well away from home either.
    I really can’t buy Gatland being biased against Scotland players. Why would he be? There are enough games coming up for them to show what they have to offer. A good mix would be ideal otherwise it will be almost all England players, with a few from Ireland. I still wouldn’t boycott it mind.

tjagain

I think its a combination of factors and also predates Gatland. Its clear tho every 50/50 decision he went with the welsh and indeed in some cases took crocked or out of form welshmen instead of fit and in form scots.

too many Scots have been denied a shot at the lions over the years

tjagain

North dropped completely. 😥👋😬

My guess its a horses for courses thing – scared of the real pace that Scotland have out wide that North no longer has.

gruffj
    Free Member

Oh shit I forgot it was in Llanelli, in a monsoon. Completely different game from indoors in Cardiff. I think it will be 9-6 to whoever has Halfpenny in their team. Scotland to sorely miss Laidlaw.

I don’t think Gatland has any sort of bias against Scottish players, but I do agree that they have been under represented in recent tours. I think it all starts with having Scottish coaches on the Lions staff. Hopefully this tour will be different. I’d love to see Gray, Watson, Russel, Hogg etc play for the Lions.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Oh shit I forgot it was in Llanelli, in a monsoon. Completely different game from indoors in Cardiff. I think it will be 9-6 to whoever has Halfpenny in their team. Scotland to sorely miss Laidlaw.

Biggar is playing though and has been taking the kicks. He missed 3 in a row last week, whilst looking decidedly out of sorts with his leg. It will be interesting to see what they do on Saturday – hopefully not too interesting though!

tjagain

Its Ok – Toonie has hamstrung our team with his selections – its weird how such a maverick player has become such a risk averse coach. We have fantastic wingers – so pick creativity free centres!

I think Wales will win by kicking goals

anagallis_arvensis

My guess its a horses for courses thing – scared of the real pace that Scotland have out wide that North no longer has

North is still pretty quick, quicker than Williams. last week he had a foot race with the skinny french wing chasing a kick through. French guy had a m or so head start and North beat him to the ball. Surprised me. The sad fact is though he is now pretty much shit. If Adams, Zammit or Lane stay fit I cant see him getting many more caps.

gauss1777
    Free Member

The sad fact is though he is now pretty much shit.

I got the feeling for a long time, from the way he carried himself, that North was troubled by his hamstring. He seems more comfortable now. I still think he’s very good at what he does, but he is not very creative. It’s always difficult though to tell how much freedom the players are given. Perhaps North fit into Gatland’s game style better than Pivac’s?

anagallis_arvensis

Norths work rate is appalling and that has crossed different coaches. He has the occasional game where he has clearly had a rocket up his ass and gets involved more but it then tails off rapidly. I’d like to see him get back in but I’m not sure we will ever see him as an automatic choice again. This must be the first time a fit North hasnt been picked in almost a decade!

tjagain

North is still pretty quick, quicker than Williams.

Really? Williams must be slow then 🙂
    Which side does North play? 11 or 14? At 11 he would be up against the elusive Graham and at 14 Pivac would have guessed the thundering duhan ( but toonie dropped him)

anagallis_arvensis

Yep Williams is not international pace on the wing. North hasnt been dropped due to worries over who he is facing, he’s been dropped as he is not playing well. He plays 14 mostly although has also played 11 a lot.

loum
    Free Member

For me, he’s out of form.
    He’s had injuries, not much game time, got sent off, and he’s not really there at the level for an international game right now.
    Still expect him to be involved in the future, but he’s had a tough paper round.
    At his age now, He’s the sort of player that could really do with his playing time being managed so he can make a proper impact when it’s really needed.
    Wales can afford to rest him as they have good depth out wide, but really can’t understand Williams not being FB.hp looks like he’d benefit from some testing too.

I know this might wind up the English who are on for a win, but These games’ results don’t really matter. It’s a good time to try some kids and boost there experience.

Looking at the Irish lineup, Dorris, Connors, Keenan and a few others will all benefit massively from a Saturday night away game in Paris , even if they’re not the ones that would be picked if it was a knockout game.

tjagain

I find that really suprising that Loopy liam is even slower than North. Loopy is not a challenger for Hogg for the lions then? i always thought Loopy quite speedy

Pigface
    Free Member

Idle John that is very true 😂

Kryton57

These games’ results don’t really matter

I’d suspect owning a 6N trophy injects some confidence into the team before the next set of internationals.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,401 through 1,440 (of 1,696 total)

The topic ‘Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season’ is closed to new replies.