Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,696 total)
  • Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season
  • BruceWee

He might have created the problem in the first place but managed the right answer out.

The reason no one has any idea is because rugby is governed by rules that cover most eventualities but not every one. In big games the referee delegates the duty of timekeeping to a timekeeper and trusts that they are up to the task.

Nigel doesn’t subscribe to that idea and decided to take back the authority that he had already delegated. Is it in the laws for a referee to undelegate the timekeeping duties? I have no idea because it’s such a stupid position to be put in that this has never had to be questioned in the laws before.

Nigel had to have the attention on him. You might think it’s an obvious no brainer but the laws of rugby don’t clarify it. Therefore we ended up unsure whether the biggest game of the year was over or not.

And it wasn’t his biggest **** up of the game. Bottling the Slade YC and the SHC penalty that wasn’t won the game for the Racists.

gauss1777
    Free Member

for the Racists.

Why do you keep calling them ‘the Rascists’?

Forget that, this thread does not need to be derailed.

BruceWee

Because they had the chance to take a look at themselves in the light of BLM and the fact that First Nation people were asking them to change their branding and instead of taking that on board they decided to say, ‘Nope, we’re good, thanks. And just to really take the piss we’re going to blast the tomahawk chop over the PA system since the fans aren’t here to do it. You know, because BT Sport are too lefty liberal PC gone mad to include it in their piped in crowd noises.’

If they want people to stop calling them the Exeter Racists they should change their branding and give up the Tomahawk Chop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_chop

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Jeez, you need to calm down mate.

BruceWee

Jeez, you need to calm down mate.

Is that your response to everyone who points out racism?

Sorry, I forgot, it’s not racism. No First Nations people are complaining about it, after all (well, some are, but the vast majority of First Nations people haven’t complained yet so lets just pretend it’s only middle class white people getting upset over nothing).

dantsw13

I’m afraid Russell was the difference today, and not positively. Exeter were lucky he handed them the game at key moments.
    I love the whole Exeter story, and am really happy for them, but most of the best players on the pitch were from Racing today.

theotherjonv

Nigel had to have the attention on him. You might think it’s an obvious no brainer but the laws of rugby don’t clarify it. Therefore we ended up unsure whether the biggest game of the year was over or not.

Again. Rubbish. We all know it was over, the decision making process could have been further extended (and made absolute) by replaying the TV in real time to see how long the delay/lost time had been but everyone knows. Even you. You’re pretending you don’t because you don’t like Owens, why I don’t know.

Play the ball, not the man.

BruceWee

you don’t like Owens, why I don’t know.

Because I watch rugby.

He used to be a good ref. At some point he watched one too many of his own youtube clips and became a parody of himself.

BruceWee

By the way, you’re the one who keeps bringing up the time keeping. It’s an example of an Owens-ism but didn’t have any effect on the outcome of the game.

My main problems are with his other decisions which you haven’t commented on.

theotherjonv

Time keeping; I don’t ‘keep bringing it up’, I was just responding to your post saying that WE don’t know. WE do, it’s you that supposedly doesn’t.

Other matters – as I said in the original post, I’m not a big follower so not qualified to comment on the correct application of the laws, you’re probably right there so there’s no point me arguing that.

tjagain

Any rugby match there always will be controversial decisions because there is a lot of interpretation required. I thought the yellow card harsh – he did try to scoop the ball up, he didn’t slap it down or out. Vakatawa was ahead of the Russell twice on chips, Exeter were offside at rucks a lot. SHCs turnover IMO was fine – his feet were behind the line so no offside – he was the first man in on his feet. the high tackle on Imhoff could well have been yellow

this will always happen in rugby – its the nature of the game. fans will only see the decisions that go against their team – again its just how it is. I was a neutral just about on this game so saw them both ways

the timekeeping – they got to the correct decision in the end – thats the important thing

Highly entertaining game all in all.

BruceWee

I don’t know why you are insisting on defending Owens. He created confusion where none existed and we’re supposed to applaud him because he managed to sort out his own **** up?

We don’t know what the rules say about the technicalities of timekeeping because it’s not been an issue. Up until now no referee has decided to undelegate timekeeping responsibilities, therefore no one has had to wonder whether the ref has the right to put time back on the clock.

I never said it affected the outcome of the match.

TBH, I’m not sure what we’re disagreeing about except that I don’t believe the ref is allowed to put time back on the clock but you think it is allowed?

tjagain

Seen it done several times before when the stadium clock is wrong as it was.

BruceWee

I’ve never seen a ref say to a timekeeper, ‘put x seconds back on the clock.’ I’ve seen them check the time with the timekeeper when the stadium clock is wrong but never to wind the clock back because of something that either happened or didn’t happen on the pitch.

I’m actually beginning to doubt myself now. He did say ‘put 5 seconds back on the clock’, or something like that when a scrum was taking too long to form, didn’t he?

Edit: not for a scrum to form, I think it was actually for the final penalty where Exeter were wasting time somehow. It was weird but it was a situation of Owens own making.

theotherjonv

Yes. He told the timekeeper to stop the clock because Exeter were pissing about wasting time deciding what to do with their penalty. He told the TK at 32, but it only got stopped at 37.

He then asked the 5s to be returned, but for whatever reason it couldn’t be. So he said he would restart play, count 5s himself and then the clock should start, but again the TK failed to do it.

It’s not absolutely clear how long the gap was between Owens calling the clock restart after his own count and when it really did start but as the clock stopped after the kick went over at 57, and the gap was substantially more than the 3s between 57 and time, in the end the TMO said that 57 was technically on the clock but in reality time would have expired.

duckman

Bruce,I have seen premiership games where the ref has said he would go with his own watch rather than the stadium clock.At the end of the day, the ref is the sole arbiter of the laws;that would include time.

duckman

Both halves of this mornings Blediscoe cup are on you tube. You are all welcome!

tjagain

I’ve never seen a ref say to a timekeeper, ‘put x seconds back on the clock.’

I have seen it several times

gauss1777
    Free Member

It’s good to see that Gatland is ensuring Scottish interest in the Lions tour:

British and Irish Lions announce first home Test in 16 years as Warren Gatland’s men to face Japan at Murrayfield

😉

gauss1777
    Free Member

1 day to go until Scotland v Georgia. Surely with Scotland at home, it’s just a matter of how comfortable they win? A good chance for them to gain some momentum to take into the Wales game (which I’m ashamed to say, I’d have them as slight favourites for at the mo).

What is everyone expecting/ looking forward to?

anagallis_arvensis

GodDammit on bench for Wales!

gauss1777
    Free Member

GodDammit on bench for Wales

How much time do you think he’ll get? ~35min?
    It would be great to see him settle in quickly with a try out two. Gonna be a hard game for Wales – only about a 25% chance of winning I reckon.

wrecker
    Free Member

Barbars in the poop following breach of C19 bubble. They are now looking for players, and Bris have been subject to the most recent testing.
    If prem rugby allows is, there is a chance that the Barbars could be well stocked with Bears.
    If that happens, I will 100% be supporting the Barbars vs England.
    A combo of Barbars, Bristol and England for me is just too good to be true. I’m just a *little* bit excited (pee actually came out when I heard).

Kryton57

Didn’t Jones conveniently call up half of them literally a few hours before this was announced?

anagallis_arvensis

Gonna be a hard game for Wales – only about a 25% chance of winning I reckon.

Yeah, not sure what France will be like but we will be using this as a tune up I’m sure. Prop choices are odd Carre has potential, but Wyn Jones and Smith are better currently and Lee needs a big game to show he can live up to his pre achilies potential. Elias has a big chance too, Dee has always looked good understudying Owens but Elias has more potential. Not sure why Cubby is on bench not international quality imo.
    Has Patch played since the last world cup? Was hoping to see Sheedy bench.

tjagain

1 day to go until Scotland v Georgia. Surely with Scotland at home, it’s just a matter of how comfortable they win?

Georgia will be no mugs. they do not get many opportunities to play top tier teams so will be really up for this. Scotland is a somewhat makeshift team with loads of missing players. a banana skin for sure

gauss1777
    Free Member

I don’t know, now could be Scotland’s time. They’ve got a run of winnable games. I’ve not seen much of Van Der Merwe, but he looks like he could win on his own. Time to be optimistic?

tjagain

Duhan is a fabulous player – plenty quick and with a mighty fend. a big lad

gauss1777
    Free Member

Gregor Townsend seems like a nice guy, but he’s rather wooden and dull when interviewed.

Kryton57

So England v Barbarians is off, thanks to the 12 **** deciding to go out for dinner in London 2 nights in a row. Apparently it’s costing the RFU thousands to process refunds, repay tv rights etc.

Idiots.

Pigface
    Free Member

No pudding for the Baba’s

anagallis_arvensis

Robshaw was never a good decision maker!!

The Barbarians who enjoyed two nights out in Mayfair and left the RFU with no option but to cancel tomorrow’s game against England have been accused of a “serious breach of trust” that put players’ health at risk.

Chris Robshaw, Richard Wigglesworth, Jackson Wray, Joel Kpoku, Tom de Glanville and Fergus McFadden were among 12 players sent home on Thursday for leaving the team’s biosecure bubble and breaking coronavirus protocols.

It is understood that RFU security staff posted at the Barbarians hotel on Park Lane became suspicious about the players’ whereabouts and tracked them down to an Italian restaurant. The players isolated from the rest of the squad on their return to the hotel and then stood down, leaving embarrassed Barbarians officials to scramble for a dozen replacements.

nostrils
    Free Member

I understand that the players broke the Barbarians covid code of conduct, but surely the restaurants/pubs visited were covid secure and the actual risk very low?

tjagain

Good win for Scotland but Georgia were poor. Apparently missing some of their key players.

Our forwards did a workmanlike demolition of their pack. Toolis, Watson. Fraser the standouts

Kinghorn a mixed bag at fullback, Both wingers great with what little ball they had. Russell looked class when he came on, Hastings continues to hesitate and run up blind alleys / get caught in possession

gauss1777
    Free Member

From the start it was clear Scotland would win comfortably, I’m not sure how that affects their play. They played well I thought if you allow for a little rustiness. Hastings first kick was good, but he missed too many afterwards. He looked kinda okay, but it was clear as soon as Russell came on how much more he offers.
    I thought the commentary on ITV4 was pretty dire.

Tom-B
    Free Member

I managed to watch it until half time, then turned it off!

Also, does anyone care even slightly about the 6n’s? It was 7 months/basically a whole different life ago…..time to move on. I feel the same way about the Prem.

loum
    Free Member

Also, does anyone care even slightly about the 6n’s?

This new English ref is doing his best for his country.

anagallis_arvensis

You have to admit thatvwas lovely from the italy 10!!

gauss1777
    Free Member

You have to admit thatvwas lovely from the italy 10!!

Just seen that – very nice. With France v Wales being a friendly I’d love to see lots of such flair from both sides tonight.

Anyone watching Exeter v Wasps? (I presume it’s on tv somewhere).

anagallis_arvensis

I am expecting Wales to look rustier than France as they havent been playing many club matches or any in the case of Jiffy Junior and Patchel.

AWJ 148 caps, legend.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 1,696 total)

The topic ‘Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season’ is closed to new replies.