Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,696 total)
  • Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

England did nothing in attack bar kick(very well) and either try to drive over from short range or hope for a good bounce. England were also really niggly all game.

Still scored more tries than Scotland this tournament though…😉

I’m still surprised that they managed to beat Ireland. I still think they lack a killer instinct…if the AB’s were on top like that there would be no let up and a shed load more accuracy.

tjagain

ads678

and don’t forget that the Ford Farrell axis just doesn’t work….

sharkbait
    Free Member

But might that be because they knew that type of play might work best?
    Was is sheer luck that they found Ireland had trouble with the kicks behind or was it a plan?

anagallis_arvensis

I thought most of the niggle came from Ireland and there attitude to entering rucks.

Bear
    Free Member

looks fine can’t see anything wrong with those three entries……

I saw them during the game and was surprised TMO didn’t pick up on it.

gauss1777
    Free Member

I’ve seen talk in a couple of places now of future games being affected by covid-19. Thoughts?

tjagain

Ads

Didn’t / doesn’t work ball in hand tho. OUtside backs hardly saw a pass and when they did it was way behind the gainline.

I think the kicking was a plan and executed very well indeed

tjagain

First one in the side. All had arms involved. whats the issue?

ads678

Last one is direct to the head!

To be fair TJ I’d like to see Farrell dropped and maybe slade and Tuilagi in the centre’s with Ford at 10. Farrell needs taking down a peg or two. EJ will never drop him though.

anagallis_arvensis

whats the issue?

In the side, straight off feet

mindmap3
    Free Member

But might that be because they knew that type of play might work best?
    Was is sheer luck that they found Ireland had trouble with the kicks behind or was it a plan?

It worked last 6N too. The way Ireland defend means that you can prosper from the kick through if down well.

anagallis_arvensis

Here is some more Ryan shithousery.

dantsw13

As soon as the ref allows it at the start, it’s going to happen all game. The tackle laws have become ridiculously overzealous, whilst the ruck is allowed to be a war zone.

dantsw13

Anyone doubting whether May was intentionally taken out in that earlier clip, take a close look at Farrell in England’s first 2 tries.

1st try – Taken out by Larmour as he chases through. Miles away from the ball and a clear yellow.

2nd try – taken out off the ball by the Irish centres.

Kryton57

Englands attack was very good for a change, how can you say it wasn’t?     Loads of variety, Back three and Tuigali inside and outside Ford taking it up, the threat and use of Fords kick over the top, the kick chase produced results and the talisman Sexton was put under pressure.  Essentially England picked out the less experienced Irish players and forced them into mistakes, whilst holding the line.

Sure there are many more spectacular tries scored in the world but that was not a bad attacking game by any means, and let’s remember Ireland are not a bad side at all.   The very fact all the off the ball mentioned in the last few posts has happened is a sig of a team desperate to slow the attack.

However, the problem with England is despite all the talk of leadership they play to a formula.  When its right as it was on Sunday and against the AB’s we look really good, but when its wrong or nullified there’s no changing it and we get the SA game or second half of Sunday.   Essentially on Sunday England kept on doing the same as usual, and lost out to Ireland because they changed their game plan slight to stop bashing Englands defence through the backs and to get the ball into Englands half and use the forwards.  Ireland adapted, England didn’t.

If we play the first half game against Wales with a strong defensive, we’ll win.  If we play the second half game, Wales will win.

The other thing I thought I spotted was that the English defensive line was much more lacsidasical in the last 20 mins giving Ireland more space to play in.

piha
    Free Member

Kryton57 +1

When things go Englands way, then they look good but when the opposition find a way of nullifying the England game plan, England simply don’t appear to have a plan B. Nobody on the paddock appears to offer true leadership.

mindmap3
    Free Member

When things go Englands way, then they look good but when the opposition find a way of nullifying the England game plan, England simply don’t appear to have a plan B. Nobody on the paddock appears to offer true leadership.

Same could be said of Ireland. They have a certain way to play and if you nullify that they’re all at sea.

dantsw13

Ireland make a choice to fly up in the line, leaving space in the backfield. England’s kicking is the response to that. It seems Ireland’s way to defend kicks through, is to take out the chaser.

I do still wonder if EJs apparent stubbornness is part of a plan to develop flexibility within his main squad. There will never be an out and out 8 or wing on the bench, especially with a 6/2 split. He needs other players to be able to switch roles, so is giving experience/flexibility.

Or he is just a stubborn sausage!!

mindmap3
    Free Member

Liam Williams is to leave Sarries with immediate effect and return to Scarlets.

I’m guessing the first of a few.

dantsw13

I’m guessing the expensive imports will all run.

Kryton57

Same could be said of Ireland

I’ll try to find the link to something I read but this is where its felt the AB’s win the game – they are out an out much better in the skills / loose game than any other team, so when it gets loose they play instinctively with and around each other, while the NH sides specifically are playing patterns.  It makes them all the more unpredictable for the oppo, whilst actually an area of predictability for their team mates.

tjagain

Sarries are in big trouble now with the mooted £2.5 million salery cap in the championship after the RFU decided to cut funding massively

tjagain

Tell you what. I’d rather have the other six nations troubles right now than Scotlands. A coach who is a diddy who is wasting the best players we have had. Several of our best players not getting a game for the national side for no good reason. An experienced and good coach lost to the scottish game.

Its just an effing shambles

duckman

I agree with the posts on Englands “way” I think it stems from having a dominant scrum and second phase at the breakdown. When other teams can cancel that out (SA) then I am not sure what your plan B is. As things stand you lot would be terrifying with a 9 who could box kick for May.

piha
    Free Member

@ tjagain,

Your ‘best player’ is apparently disruptive and believes team rules don’t apply to him. He needs to grow up and become a team player or put himself forward as player/coach. IMO.

tjagain

Thats only one side of the story piha. There is a lot more to it than that and its a managment falure to allow it to get to that.

No one who knows Russell has anything other than to say that playing for scotland is very important to him. He always trains hard and helps lead the team

He is not the only casualty of Townsend / dodson anyway/ George Horne is on fire and has been for a year. Cannot get a start. Ritchie Gray looks like he will no longer play for Scotland. Jones dropped. Ritchie Gray the coach lost to Scotland. Sean Lineen shuffled out. Craig Chalmers is a pariah for critising the SRU. Darcy Graham not getting to start in the WC despite being on fire.

totally confused tactics and selection from Townsend

Dodson getting paid far more than any other 6N CEO and getting paid more than the three top earning players in Scotland put together

Its totally dysfunctional

mindmap3
    Free Member

Toby Booth taking over the Ospreys this summer.

Not sure that’s a great idea because he’s not set the world on fire at Irish or Bath.

anagallis_arvensis

Toby Booth taking over the Ospreys this summer.

Not sure that’s a great idea because he’s not set the world on fire at Irish or Bath.

Given the lack of funding they were never likely to get a top class coach.

anagallis_arvensis

Adams out for surgery and North looking likely to be out, Liam might get a game for Scarlets this weekend. Not sure getting smashed at Twickers would be a good intro for God Dammit!!!

anagallis_arvensis

When does Booth start, they could be a burnt out husk by the time he arrives!

loum
    Free Member

Why would a rugby club get “funding” for a coach?

anagallis_arvensis

Its not a club

tjagain

Welsh pro 14 teams are (partly?) funded by the WRU

tjagain

However its that old canard ” the welsh teams don’t have the funding” the scots teams on similar funding seem to have managed to get a couple of decent coaches

anagallis_arvensis

However its that old canard ” the welsh teams don’t have the funding” the scots teams on similar funding seem to have managed to get a couple of decent coaches

Magic, must be all the free haggis.

mindmap3
    Free Member

AA – summer 2020, so I’m guessing as soon as the Quinns finish the prem that he’ll move across.

Looks like the last few games involving Italy are under threat.

anagallis_arvensis

AA – summer 2020, so I’m guessing as soon as the Quinns finish the prem that he’ll move across

He’s got a big job to sort out that shower of shite, he’s experienced though so hopefully they’ll improve.

mindmap3
    Free Member

He never managed to sort Bath out despite them having a good squad on paper!

sharkbait
    Free Member

North looking likely to be out

I feel sorry for GN. Pretty good player but his head is made of glass [comparatively]. Surely there must come a time when someone draws a line under his career before something bad happens to him – because I doubt he’ll do it himself.

edit: From the little I’ve seen he certainly doesn’t seem to be the force he was a couple of years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,696 total)

The topic ‘Rugby 2019 – 2020 Season’ is closed to new replies.