Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Rudundency rules – whats your experience
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

After the raft of redundency threads we have had lately I thought I’d find out what the process is.

What are the statutory minimums a company must pay?

What about things like personal phone contracts that were only used for work instead of the company providing a phone, do they have to pay them off?

How much have people managed to cut their monthly expenditure by?

and yes, this has suddenly become more relevent to me. 🙁

sofatester
    Free Member

It seems that the “company” can make its own rules, judging from the wide range of situations people on here (and in the real world) have encountered.

If i was you (and by god* i wish i was), i’d start saving cash like a MOFO!

God*

IHN

Oof, unlucky.

Statutory redundancy pay is pretty much nothing. You may have something different in your contract. As for the phone, I’d say that they were obliged to pay for work calls.

On the plus side, think of the time you can devote to The Big Bike Bash

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Hey, it is still in the balance. My Isralli boss says it is between me and his Isralli friend who he has just relocated at company expense to London with his wife and new baby. Apparently it is gooing to be a criteria based assessment of who stays on but they waon’t discuss the criteria.

IHN

I hope the criteria don’t include spelling..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Check TUC and ACAS sites for guidance. Join a **** union!

glenh
    Free Member

You are entitled to 1 weeks pay per year of service. Anything more is down to the employer.

stumpy01

They have to do a ‘consultation’ period, which in my case was ‘we are making you redundant, but have to do this by the book’.
    They arrange a matrix of skills that have to be objective for the people they are looking to get rid of. They then score you and the lowest scored person/people goes. In my case, there was me and another bloke who scored lowest, but the scoring was weighted so much against me it was a joke. I tried to contest it, but there wasn’t a lot that could be done really – short of me taking it to a tribunal and forking out all the solicitors fees, that I couldn’t really afford.

You aren’t entitled to redundancy pay if you been there less than 2yrs, I think. Then it is a weeks pay/yr you have been there. By law this can be capped to £330/week and the company may use that or not, depending how generous they are feeling.
    If you finish before the end of your notice period, then you are entitled to your pay in lieu of notice, plus pay for holiday remaining and any benefits.

richc
    Free Member
    IanMunro
    Free Member

You are entitled to 1 weeks pay per year of service. Anything more is down to the employer.

That’s also capped at a max of 330-350ish per a week.

Junkyard
    Free Member

They cannot do as they please there are legal minimums which redundnacy CANNOT be less than but they can be more than

0.5 week’s pay for each full year of service where age during year less than 22
    1.0 week’s pay for each full year of service where age during year is 22 or above, but less than 41
    1.5 weeks’ pay for each full year of service where age during year is 41+
    weekly wage capped @£350 per week

all plus normal notice period

info here

richc
    Free Member

and there is a cap on the max number of weeks depending on your age. only upside with the shitty UK redundancy payments is, it might be cheaper to make the Israeli bloke redundant

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stumpy – another case for a union as one would have fought that for ree

andos

You mentioned a ‘criteria based assessment’- I think you will find that if they going through a consultation phase, they are obliged to tell you what the criteria are.
    My company did the same and a number of people who were shortlisted were saved as they proved that the assessment was inaccurate.

If you have a HR rep then they should be able to advise.

aP
    Free Member

err… I don’t believe that’s quite true Ian I think you’ll find that its becomes taxable above the £330 limit.

stumpy01

Yep, you should be able to see the criteria you are being assessed against as well as your scores and justification for those scores.
    I don’t think they are obliged to show you everyone elses scores, but this can go against them if you contest it. My company showed me my scores compared to the average for all the process engineers being considered.

When I asked for justification I was given statements for each criteria, which were reasonably accurate but were more to do with circumstances surrounding the job I was doing, rather than my performance of that job.

stumpy01

ap, it’s not taxable above the £330 limit.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Small company and I have been there just over the year.

clubber
    Free Member

As above, they legally have to show you your scores and hence the criteria (this presumably is after they’ve done the scoring though). They don’t have to tell you what the other person/people scored though.

(Our company has just been through it and as a manager, I was given the advice above, though luckily I didn’t have to wield the axe on anyone I manage – phew!)

crazy-legs

WCA, have a read of this:
    http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/11022009/389/ten-things-lose-job.html

If you’ve been at the company less than 2 years you won’t get anything above your 1-month payment in lieu of notice. The 1-weeks pay for every year you’ve been there thing only kicks in after 2 years service as I found out when I was made redundant.
    You’re allowed to see your scoring and the criteria on which you were scored. You are allowed representation in any and all meetings you have with HR and you can request a written copy of all the notes made during such a meeting.
    Best of luck with it.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I was made redundant in Nov from a Company where I’d been for less than two years – got a very good compromise agreement – tax free – bloody good job too as its been tough in my industry to get back into work.
    Still its done wonders for my riding!
    Try to push them for more than statutory as that is virtually nothing

aracer
    Free Member

Is one of the criteria going to be ability to turn up to foreign meetings in a suit?

(sorry!)

itchy
    Free Member

Don’t supposeanyone knows if the four weeks pay in lieu is taxable do they?

richc
    Free Member

yes, pay in lieu is taxed.

zaskar
    Free Member

Depends on decent boss.

I kept my company car for 6months! £3K and enough stationary to put WH Smith out of business and my area manager let me go next day to start my new job!

That was a while back and would expect sorry but you have a week to clear off nowadays.

At Uni now so living on peanuts sucks!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Let’s see how it goes. I feel a bit bad as it is me or the other guy and he has just relocated to the UK, moved his new wife over here and she has had a baby. Actually, I don’t feel bad about it I just wish there was a compromise position.

Anyone want to buy a beautiful 6 Litre V12 Mercedes CL, a change in circumstances may force sale.

aracer – I reckon it was THAT meeting that put me in the frame!

muddy_bum
    Free Member

I found the most frustrating thing was the “suitable alternative”.
    The employer has a duty to try and relocate you if they can find a “suitable alternative” for you.

However, if you turn down a suitable alternative they may say you are making yourself unemployed as you have not accepted the “suitable alternative”.

If you don’t consider the alternative to be suitable you may have to stick to your guns and keep writing to them giving your reasons.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Not likely to be a suitable alternative as they are shedding jobs in other places too

crazy-legs

If the worst happens firstly appeal it. You have nothing to lose. Start NOW making a list of all the things you’ve done for them, all the positive things that have been said about you etc etc. Pick them up on any discrepancies in the scoring, make sure there is a reputable and unbiased member of staff with you in all meetings. Make your own notes and keep a record of any meetings you have with them. It’s probably worth updating your CV and starting to look around the jobs market as well and it’ll keep your mind occupied.
    And if it does happen, get straight on the phone to the Job Centre as well as any creditors – most of them will be fairly understanding.

As I said before, best of luck, it’s a shit situation to be in.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

“Anyone want to buy a beautiful 6 Litre V12 Mercedes CL,”

Depends on the price….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Make me an offer £108,000 plus options new. 45K miles.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Rudundency rules – whats your experience’ is closed to new replies.