Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rucsac for commuting
  • Spud

Has anyone found any to better than others, for weight distribution, carrying laptops etc?
    I have panniers but changed bikes and I can't use them on the current one as my feet strike them when pedalling. My lower back was aching today carrying a 'regular' rucsac with laptop and bits and pieces.

dobo
    Free Member

Slight hijack/bump. I'm also interested in a new commuting backpack. Finding it hard to gauge whether i can fit a laptop in them, can you get one in 15L packs?

prettygreenparrot

carry less?

I found that an enormous courier bag (reloadbags.com) was more comfortable than a rucksack. And it gave me back my rear view. The rucksack was too high and cut out part of the view over my shoulder.

I also found that leaving the laptop at work and taking no work home helped cut the weight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You should be able to adjust your panniers to move back on the rack, stopping them fouling your footsies.

Kahurangi

Spud – could try a wingnut? Summit sycles do them IIRC.

Stu_N

Posted this about six months ago. Since then one of the shoulder straps had started to come adrift but a bit of attention with a big needle and some strong thread has sorted that. Still can't fault it. It sits high enough to be comfy but still doesn't interfere with rear view or push helmet forward when I am on the drops.

I've been using an OMM rucksac with a Respro cover for my commuting needs. It's big enough for laptop, a file or two and a change of clothes if I have to carry stuff, but can be compressed down if not so full. It's waterproof enough for my needs if I put my stuff in plastic bags (17 miles each way at most so about an hour, never got stuff wet in there) and the Respro cover probably helps with making me visible.

Bag weighs next to nothing, is really stable and comfortable and beautifully built – not had any probs in 3 or 4 years of regular use and done several multi-day MTB rides with it as well in that time.

Frankly I always end up sweating like a rapist on the commute whatever I do, even if I do the short version (leave the car at park and ride and do 6 miles into work) so it doesn't actually make much difference having a rucksac on and I can shower at work whatever.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Been carrying less and less lately but my alpkit gourdon is a good reliable bag on the back

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

I've got a dakine 101. it looks like a school bag, but is actually excellent. some on offer in various places too.

Spud

I was back to bare essentials today, I can't leave the laptop at work unfortunately as I need it for on-call etc.
    I've pushed the rack and panniers as far back as they'll go, the stays are just short. I use a Wingnut for general riding, anyone comment on how big the large Wingnuts are?

Suggsey
    Free Member

Got myself an Ortleib Velocity waterproof bag (smaller version of the messenger bag) and its brilliant would take a laptop and all your days clothes and a towel, and your shoes no problem. Ideal and comfortable for all weathers.

richcc
    Free Member

I use a Berghaus climbing sack and carry more than is really sensible. Works ok and I rationalise it as 'training'

woffle
    Free Member

ergon bd1 – puts the weight more on your hips and the swivel joint means it doesn't shift around on the back.

scottishbadger
    Free Member

Rapha Fixed, the larger one. Excellent bag.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I use a camelbak one thats mainly desgined for walking. It has a laptop pouche in it and i find that it sits very well on my back. It also has a space for a bladder and due to this i have used it for a couple of all day rides when i wanted to carry a bit of exra kit (food mainly) and it was still comfortable on my back.

scruff
    Free Member

Those Alpkit ones do look sensible & good value but not sure how comfy / sweaty they would get.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rucsac for commuting’ is closed to new replies.