Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Rucksack wanted for commuting
  • eckinspain
    Free Member

I going to start commuting and need a new rucksack.
    I’ll need it to carry a laptop as well as clothes, towel, shoes, shower gel.
    I think I can leave the lock at work.

Any recommendations?

I see Alpkit have some decent looking drybags, though not specifically for cycling.

thanks

rootes1

no no no… 😉

luggage goes on the bike, for everyday use this is best option especially loaded down with all that crap!

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Your backside is going to feel that if you genuinely have to lump it all around everyday. Can you not leave clothes/towel/shoes/smellies at work (and do a once-a-week refresh of clothes by some other means)?

Personally, I’m no great fan of panniers for general commuting, but they woudl seem to be a better way to go if you do have to move all of that on a day-to-day basis…..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    binners

You want a courier bag for all that lot. I use a Howies Chevron one with a laptop pocket in it. Carries the weight lower than a rucsac and is more comfortable

As others have said, leave a job lot of stuff at work and just carry the essentials

TiRed

I mix up rucksack and panniers, depending on bike. Definitely NO panniers on today’s “Bike to Work” bike (Defy advanced SL 8) ).

Anyways, shoes are bulky and stay at work. As does my suit and a pair of jeans for dress down Fridays. That means I bring in an ironed shirt and some underwear (and keep an emergency set at work).

My rucksack of choice for laptop (no case or padding), small food things and clothes is a Deuter Exp Race Air. not big, but expandable, stays off the back, webbed straps (helps my collarbone spread load) and an integral rain cover. At weekends it morphs into my mountain biking rucksack with the addition of a bladder.

Superb piece of kit.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I use a deuter, top notch

steveoath
    Free Member

2nd the courier bag.

rootes1

Carradice SQR slim fits a laptop + shoes etc..

soundninjauk

I’ve got a Crumpler courier type affair, and I prefer it to the rucksack I used to use before. Although you’re looking to carry a lot more stuff than me.

Kuco

I’ve one of these Timbuk2 TrackII rucksacks. I got mine direct from their website in a sale the other month its been great so far.

large418
    Free Member

How far is your commute? If it is less than an hour, don’t get too “bike specific” about it. Any old rucksack will do (I use a Karrimor £15 15litre or 20 litre (can’t remember) with a £5 waterproof cover.) I fit alaptop in it (twice a week) and leave all the chargers and crap at work. Shoes, towel, shower gel and trousers left at work (with another pair at home for those days when I have to go elsewhere. Just need to take shirt, grunts and socks and lunch every day. 45 minute commute each way and I find it fine.
    Never got the need for panniers though (although a lot of people seem to use them)

whyter

Deuter for me. Good built-in rain cover and quality zips.

Burchy1
    Free Member

Used to use ‘any old rucksack’ which was fine apart from a) when it rained and b) when I had to carry a laptop, the lack of structure to the bag didn’t help.

I’ve got a Osprey momentum 26 now and its been ace for the 9 months I’ve had it. Loads of really well thought out features.

eckinspain
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. The commute will be around 40 minutes I think.
    I did consider panniers. On the one hand I don’t want to put them on my bike as it’s my “proper” mountain bike but on the other hand I really don’t have any time to use it as a proper mountain bike so it hardly matters if it has panniers on (can you fit panniers to a Genesis Attitude 20?)
    I can leave stuff at work but my desk is on the 22nd floor so it would take ages if I had to park the bike then go up to retrieve my stuff, back down to have a shower, 2nd floor for breakfast…I can probably leave the laptop most days though.
    I thought courier bags were for posers..are they actually useful?

daleftw
    Free Member

Just about to throw this (minus bladder) on the classifieds – http://www.evanscycles.com/products/camelbak/hawg-20l-2011-hydration-pack-ec025693#features

PM me if you want the pics/craic

shuhockey
    Free Member

I did the rucksack thing for ages, all ways had a sweaty back.
    Then went courier bag which was better, but that had a habit of swinging round.
    Now got a Carradise SQR (£60ish), its great, get loads in, easy to remove and it feels like your not humping stuff around.
    I leave the shoes and stuff at work.

boxfish
    Free Member

Deuter rucksacks are very well made and should last you for years.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t like using a messenger/courier bag – not comfortable. Panniers are ok, but rucksacks are my favourite. Unless I really need to not get sweaty, but if you are having a shower at work then it doesn’t matter much imo.

I use an Osprey Flapjack which is a laptop bag, but has JUST enough room for a day’s stuff in it, but perhaps not if you have a towel. I’d get a rucksack with a laptop compartment in it though.

eckinspain
    Free Member

@rootes1

you put a laptop in this?

Hopk1ns
    Free Member

Another Deuter user here. Carry shirt, trousers, underwear, small towel and food for the day. Leave the shoes at work. Choose the deuter because I like the webbing that lifts the pack off your back. Very comfortable and had it 5years and not worn. Zips good, stitching good. Recommended

GrahamS

Carradice SQR slim fits a laptop + shoes etc..

+1 good simple tough bag. No gimmicks.
    Perfect size for a laptop, change of clothes, files and pump/tools/spares.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice-sqr-slim-bag-including-sqr-bracket/

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

its all about logistics.

clearly as others have said leave what you can at work, shoes and laptop (if possible) and cables etc – your work should be abel to get you spare sets. I would also encourage them to get you lockers but many wont. I used to ‘find’ a convenient place to leave my shoes and a hanger for suit near the showers… I doubt anybody will steal a suit or trousers or shoes.

I used a laptop rucksack, nowt special but just had a sleeve for the laptop for protection and stopping it move around.

I agree in the summer I sweated buckets and one that stands clear of your back would help, but a shower will fix that, just make sure you hang the jersey somewhere it can dry… I found near our test server kit worked well with all the fans pumping out hot air… nobody minded the smell, they were mostly geeky IT guys. 😉

disco_stu
    Free Member

+1 on a Carradice bag + SQR Rack, I think they are awesome bits of kit.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a Slicks Suit 25 Backpack which can carry a suit laptop etc. I have used it on the bike, as hand luggage, as a weekend bag etc.

paul_m

I use a Deuter one in the summer, but have a Polaris Aquanaught one for the winter

stumpy01

Have a look at any back pack with a ‘suspension’ system to lift the majority of the pack from your back.
    Brands that spring to mind are Vaude, Deuter & Osprey.

I’ve got a Vaude Splash Air 20+5 and have used it for commuting. It stashed all the kit I needed, although I didn’t have a laptop and I kept toiletries at work. The back arch is quite pronounced, so it can make loading it a bit tricky, but it does keep your back a lot cooler and stops you getting poked in the back with stuff in your pack.
    The straps are well padded and adjustable for body size, so it’s a very comfortable pack.
    My only grip with it would be that it doesn’t have enough pockets for organising stuff, but that shouldn’t be a problem for commuting kit.

If you need to get a laptop in there too, perhaps go for a bigger version.

I’ve also got an Osprey Syncro which would be way too small, but just to mention it; the arch in the back is a lot more subtle than the Vaude version so a suitably sized Osprey may be more appropriate.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Rucksack wanted for commuting’ is closed to new replies.