Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rucksack recommendation – with pockets!
  • winston
    Free Member

Looking for a good quality backpacking rucksack of between 30-40L i.e enough for a 2-3 day hike with a couple of overnight stops. I DO NOT want an alpinist style pack with one big compartment and a couple of little sleeve pockets on the side with no fasteners but they all seem to be like that now. Ideally it would be a 4 pocket design with one on each side, one on the back and one on the lid. Buckle down top, hydration compatible and some kind of pocket on the waist belt. I kind of scaled down bergen I guess.

Any idea’s as all I can find are climbing sacks and I like my stuff easy to find! i want to know that my first aid kit is in one pocket, my food in another, my waterproof in another etc etc

crikey
    Free Member

You might be best looking at ‘military’ rucksacks; the whole ‘Molle’ thing might be what you’re after. I’d go for dry bags in different colours, and choose an alpine style bag; far easier to handle, more comfy and easy to cover in the rain.

https://www.nicks-kit.co.uk/british-terrain-pattern-clothingwebbing-and-bergens-71-c.asp

winston
    Free Member

@crikey tbh I already have something like that. An old Berghaus which is at least 30 (40?) years old when they were still a proper company which is what I use now. I was hoping for something a little more tech with a better back system and a hydration pouch etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crikey
    Free Member

The issue with the military stuff is that it’s more about carrying that stuff from A to B rather than comfort.

‘Sargeant, my bergen is uncomfy!’

‘Oh, let me carry it for you young squaddie’

‘Really?’

‘No, now get the **** on with it’

boriselbrus
    Free Member

I’m looking for the same thing for the same reasons. I’ve done the coloured dry bag thing and it’s crap. I want gloves, hat, food easily to hand not having to open the bag and dig around especially in winter.

If you find anything let me know!

matt_outandabout

Are you camping? If so, 40lt may be tight…

And the answer is Vango Heritage 43

https://www.gaynors.co.uk/equipment-c153/rucksacks-c155/rucksacks-c161/heritage-cyclone-43-rucksack-p11125

ogri
    Free Member

My wife had used a Karrimor SF35 on many long distance walks and it has been fine.No molle or navy seal wannabe crap,just an excellent,hardwearing bag.Two large side pockets,two hidden behind those and a large lid pocket.Done a few Three Peaks,West highland way,Great Glen,Walk across wales,many others and still in great shape.Bought it at a sale price on Ray Mears website some years ago,its substantially more expensive now,sadly.

winston
    Free Member

Both those sacks look good. Thanks. I like the SF 35 but it doesn’t have any kind of frame – a bit like my existing Berghaus. Unfortunately after a while the foam back gets a bit soft and my 50 year old back isn’t what it was……hence why I don’t want a bigger rucksack than 40L. Gone are the days when I can carry 75-100L!

tjagain

I really like lightwave bags very lightweight and waterproof – one big compartment tho plus a big lid pocket and small pockets on the hip belt. Saved almost a kilo in weight going to them from berghaus

andyha
    Free Member

I have a Direct Action Ghost backpack for sale if you are interested, loads of pockets

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Lowe alpine, gregory, osprey all have stuff with what you need

BadlyWiredDog

Lowe Alpine’s Altus packs are brilliant – carry really well, lots of stowage options – stash pockets side and front, two lid-pockets, main compartment with zip-option sleeping bag bit and panel access – at least with the 42-ish litre one – to the main compartment. Oh, and decent belt pockets too. It’s enough for me, but I guess how you store and organise things is pretty personal.

The problem with big, retro-style side-pockets is that technology has left them behind. Karrimor does a Jura 35 with side pockets, base pocket, lid pocket etc, but I suspect it’ll carry like a bag of bricks and is a bit small anyway.

Proper alpine packs tend to have a lid-pocket and a main compartment and maybe some compression straps / cord / daisy chain loops. I think it’s more that the sort of stash pocket lay-out that started with adventure race-type lightweight packs have gone mainstream.

Anyway, at around 40 litres, I’d get an Altus. Try a few packs on with a load and see how they feel would be my start point. I don’t think there is a good quality modern pack with trad side pockets etc out there though.

BadlyWiredDog

ps: I sort of lied. If you want trad design and can afford them, Fjällräven does retro-cool, very expensive trekking packs complete with discrete, lay-flat side-pockets, that actually carry very nicely. A tad heavy, but nice in a traditional sort of way eg:

https://www.fjallraven.co.uk/fjallraven-mens-abisko-friluft-45-stone-grey-f27211/

BadlyWiredDog

Or slightly larger than you asked for, but clock those pockets…

https://www.haglofs.com/gb/en-gb/nejd-55/p/338105-3Q8.html?size=005

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

I’ve never got on with fancy back systems, always found them more trouble and weight than they are worth in comfort. If I pack my sack properly I get a comfy carry. I would stick with your current pack and a water bottle.

fazzini

Comfiest backpack I’ve owned is a Gregory Z40. Ticks most of the boxes for you. I also have a Lightwave Fastpack 50, as well as a Berghaus something 65ltr. But the Gregory is far and away the better pack.

restlessshawn
    Free Member

I’ve done 4-5 days out of a Montane Yupik 50 which ticks most of those boxes and is reasonably light but still comfy. Bit bigger than you wanted.

winston
    Free Member

“Lowe alpine, gregory, osprey all have stuff with what you need”

yeah but they don’t actually.

Thanks to the guys that actually read my requirements and suggested something. I’m very very tempted by that Haglofs pack but it is just that little too big…….hmmmmm. I’ve always regarded Fjall Raven as a bit of a lifestyle brand but that pack also looks very tempting

Amusingly talking of the Karrimor SF35, I’ve just been delving into my pile of camping gear and pulled out a Karrimor Hot 45 which must be 30 years old and is very purple. That was the pack that started the whole alpinist sack revolution and spawned all the Montane yupiks and Altus’s we are inundated with today – so its partly my fault for buying one in 1990! Still if the SF35 is the same build quality it should last me till I’m 80!

matt_outandabout

I’ve never got on with fancy back systems

+1

Best big pack I’ve got (lost!) is an old Alpiniste 60.

Best day pack is my Lowe Alpine Crag 40.

Best cycling bag is my old Vaude Bike & Day.

All have lightly padded, un-ajustable backs.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rucksack recommendation – with pockets!’ is closed to new replies.