Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Rubbish kit that slips under the radar.
  • hot_fiat

Any chain tool where the vice body is cast, or worse, sintered. In fact, make that any tool made those ways. Topeak: you’re the worst offender here.

The bleed nipple and seals on crankbros 50/50s, designed to work against each other. Usually the nipple wins and destroys the seal.

Any bit of RaceFace kit that contains a bearing.

edit: damn almost forgot – Ardents.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Interesting that there are 3 products listed that I’ve used long term and had no issues with whatsoever.
    Panaracer Rampage SC – check. ok they slip a bit when its gets mucky
    Hope QRs – check. never had mine slip or undo.
    Sealskinz Soaks – check. keep my feet dry and warm

Conti Vertical tyres, more like horizontal if you ask me.

You’ll never guess what tyre I fitted when the RSC’s wore out…!

I did like the way the Panaracers rode, but they just got too many punctures. Seriously, 3-5 a day in Cornwall. Frustrating.

Northwind

If you like Rampages, why not just get Nevegals- the tyre Panaracer copied badly to make the Rampage?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OK – I’ll look into it, Ta.

On a side note – try walking into a Panasonic shop and asking them to order you some bike tyres, always causes an amusing outcome.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I broke a bottle cage on my road bike last year and popped into a shop mid-ride to get another one- a Blackburn one I think it was, all light and skinny.
    It just wobbled to the point where I was basically waiting for it to break. Didn’t seem to be up to the job of holding a full bottle at all- it really surprised me that such a thing would exist and have made it onto the shelves, especially from a big-name brand. Came straight off when I got home.

IdleJon

enfht – Member

Hope Vision lights (not sure what the latest reason for mine failing again is)

I’ve had 5 years of weekly night rides out of mine with the cable pulling out of the light twice in that time. Hope repaired FOC and serviced the lights FOC when they did the most recent repair. They also give a better spread of light than the cheap Chinese lights, the mounts don’t wobble and most essentially for a light that’s used regularly in all weathers, they are reliable! My recently bought C&B Seen 1200lm lights are definitely second best in comparison even taking into account the price difference.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Another vote for sealskinz socks from me too – tried them once and they didn’t really work.

My Hope seat clamps have been OK to be honest. The wheel QR’s have been a bit hit and miss and do seem to die and end up as key rings. My Race Face BB’s have been Ok too amazingly.

My Charge Knife saddle was rubbish – on one the leather just split despite not being crashed and the rails on the replacement creaked at the first sign of water.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

– Xpedo spuds

bushings made of brie. Lasted about 200 miles before going sloppy.

– Not so much ‘kit’ but I’m surprised exposed gear cables didn’t die a death much earlier. Full cables are simply loads better.

– I also thought ESI grips were poo, although I admit some love ’em.

– Middleburn rings too. Lasted okay but mine never shifted well at all (and I destroyed a 456 frame with chainsuck as a result…).

BillOddie

I also thought ESI grips were poo, although I admit some love ’em.

Best grips ever! In chunky variety (Though grips are a very personal thing..)

Northwind

ESI grips would be teh bestest evars if they didn’t fall apart quite so fast. As it is, I use ’em, they’re good but they do annoy me.

everyone
    Free Member

ESI’s are fantastic unless you’re the sort of person that loves having a good look at the ground at high speed.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

My ESI’s have been fine, they are a little fiddly to install but once they are on they don’t move.

My Hope QR’s have been fine also, no problems with them coming loose.

I did have one of those steerer tube/top frame bags, around a fiver from Amazon, but it didn’t even last one ride! The straps fell apart, but I guess it’s a case or buy cheap buy twice.

BillOddie

My ESI’s have been fine, they are a little fiddly to install but once they are on they don’t move

Squirty IPA and grip strength! Rarrrrrr!

oliverracing

ESI’s are fantastic unless you’re the sort of person that loves having a good look at the ground at high speed.

Echo that – they also don’t like being caught on low fence posts at 15mph

oliwb
    Free Member

Hope QR’s here too…have tried them all over the years. The seat post clamp seized and eventually snapped. The Wheel QR’s kept undoing on rough terrain…..totally crap.

The Avid bladder master cylinder system would get my vote too – nightmare to bled properly and you always seem to leave a small pocket of air behind that finds its way into the system at an inopportune moment….like at the top of your first run down Glentress after a 3 hour drive, for instance.

rhid

I have 2 sets of Hope Vision 1 lights. 1 set has been perfect but the newer set has been nothing but trouble. They have been back to hope once for an issue and now they are turning themselves on whenever they feel like it! I assumed they were haunted so not sure whether they need to go back to hope or I should give them to a priest to excorise.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Avid Juicy 3 brakes. Mine were terrible, overheated and leaked.

mikekay
    Free Member

Mondraker Foxy before forward geo, maintenance heavy, flexy rubber frame and geometry that puts your centre of gravity somewhere over the front wheel.

Sui
    Free Member

Hope Pro II 10mm bolt on’s – never stay done up, especially when you seem to be descending an alpine trial at speed 👿

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Hope brakes (apart from the older 2-piece stuff – they were awesome), the first generation Hope headsets, Nukeproof headsets, Hope QR seatclamps, Hope Hed Doctors, Race Face Deus cranks, Schwalbe Nobby Nic tyres, On-One steel rigid forks, the pinch bolts on Shimano HT2 cranks…

duir
    Free Member

What no Crank Brothers?

Sure it’s been posted already but here is another classic from Team Robot:

Crank Brother’s wise for me it had to be their ridiculously soft brass cleats that don’t last 2 minutes.

ransos
    Free Member

Sealskinz waterproof socks or gloves.

Ha! My Sealskinz gloves have the waterproofing qualities of a damp sponge. Totally and utterly useless.

IHN

Marins

Some of the newer ones are a bit pants, but my 2009[b]1995[/b] bike is great. Nothing has fallen off, worn out or flexed. If I’m being really fussy I’d say that the top tube is a teeny bit short and that the paint is too thin[b]it’s a bit heavy[/b] but that’s about it.

ransos
    Free Member

Marins

Some of the newer ones are a bit pants, but my 200919951993 bike is great. Nothing has fallen off or worn out before its time. If I’m being really fussy I’d say that the top tube is a teeny bit short and that the paint is too thinit’s a bit heavy the rear triangle is a little flexy but that’s about it.

onehundredthidiot

Hope qrs again. Had to zip tie mine to the fork lower to stop them auto undoing.

hot_fiat

Marzocchi ATA. You might start a downhill run with 160mm of travel, but by the end you’ll be down to 120. Ended up zip-tying the adjuster in place. All that did was cause the cartridge to unscrew itself from the crown.

darkslider
    Free Member

Avid Juicy 3 brakes. Mine were terrible, overheated and leaked.

Thought this thread was for rubbish kit that slips under the radar?

Avid brakes are well and truly on most peoples radars as being cack!

wheelie

Tacx Tao brilliant and as light as they are cheap. I have done tens of thousands of miles on and off road, and never lost a bottle yet.

iain1775
    Free Member

Lezyne kit, any of it, but particularly their glueless patches, tyre levers and self destruct bags with permeable leaky bladders
    Like Crank Brothers French relatives

doh
    Free Member

Sealskins socks rubbish
    Bought a set of bling hope qr’s to replace the cheapy on one set I had, don’t really do a better job and the springs have partially worked their way into the space between the axle and skewer. Not what I was expecting from a company that I normally like.

oliwb
    Free Member

Am I the only one surprised at all the issues with Hope QR’s? I mean, I know I suffered from them but until now had only heard of one other person suffering from a snapped seatpost clamp. Hope didn’t want to know when I complained about my skewers endlessly coming loose…..haven’t bought anything from them since and don’t intend to.

Just a bit surprising given how everyone loves their stuff in magazines etc to hear that so many are having issues.

moonsaballoon

Had a couple of duff bits of royal clothing , but I keep falling for it on the chain reaction Xmas sales

nach
    Free Member

These ultralight ti skewers (various brands):

Weeny little clamping force. Small climb, easy gear, I once had one spit the back wheel out and twist the brake side dropout. Lucky the frame was steel.

Replaced it with Hope, no problems since (you’re not the only one oliwb). I’ve been told any QR needs to be tight enough it leave a mark on your palm when you close it, and doing that it’s held up for a few months without ever loosening during a ride.

Edit:

These Sealskinz gloves:

Waterproof membrane inside, cotton cover on top. Too hot for most seasons, and in winter the outer part soaked through in the rain then my hands froze.

Northwind

I like Hope seat QRs… They don’t feel great on first use, like say Salsa, but they feel just the same after a few years as they did on day one. Never had a problem with them other than sometimes getting kinda stuck closed and needing a screwdriver to loosen.

shortcut

Alligator cables and KCNC stuff.

takisawa2

Lezyne kit, any of it,

Except their Alloy-Drive pumps.
    Mine have worked faultlessly for years.

Basil

Sealskinz socks have been great!
    Now Salsa Anything cages, them nearly killed me.

Carbis

Hope QRs here too, replaced with shimano xt which are far superior. The issue is that hope QRs bind as you tighten them making you think you’ve put on loads of force but you haven’t.

househusband

In the same vein as duir’s post on the last page regarding CB’s products – another amusing one from Team Robot:

Crankbrothers revamps aging wheel lineup for 2014…

Houns

No problems with Hope QR’s and lights. Their head Dr is a good idea however the bolt snaps too easily. No problems with my sealskinz socks.

For me it would have to be Endura clothing. Don’t think I own a piece that hasn’t come away at the seams

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Rubbish kit that slips under the radar.’ is closed to new replies.