Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)
  • Rubbish kit that slips under the radar.
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Bottle cages!
    I use the same cage on all my bikes, the Bontrager carbon SL has been faultless. However I needed another cage on the hurry up. So whilst placing an order I bought a Tacx jobbie thinking a Taxc would be okay.

First outing the bottle fell out on the road, and looked like it would fall out on any mildly bumpy road. I put up with it.
    Next time I tried bottles in it and used the one that fitted the best. During the ride it was pointed out that my bottle wasn’t in properly, all day it kept trying to come out.
    Turns out that there is no side support. In fact you can tilt a bottle in the cage and almost pull it out from the bottom.

Anyway, it’s not the cost or hassle, but when someone designs these things do they ever actually try them out and then think whoa this is rubbish?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Panaracer Rampage SC:
    Highly recommended by all…

Punctures at the mere mention of a bramble. Also lasted about 100 miles.

grahamg
    Free Member

This is going to sound really anally retentive but… it also depends on which bottles you use as they can vary in size slightly. I’ve used tacx tao cages for years now in spite of them being a bit loose with normal bottles, but they’re rock solid with the camelback bottles I prefer, also seem to be virtually indestructable too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

I use Tao cages with Spesh bottles, never lost one in my life!

scotroutes

Tao cages are great as you can manipulate the shape in order to get a good grip on most bottles.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Panaracer Rampage SC

I loved mine, plenty grippy at the front and with a decent amount of feel.

The Rampage I had on the back tore on loose flint though, unbeknownst to me I’d managed to cut through the ply in two places. Whilst inflating the tyre a 3″ square piece detached, taking the inner tube with it and the resulting explosive spray of Fenwicks sealant ensured that our porchway was duly redecorated.

Mrs PJM was a tad unhappy.

oldgit
    Free Member

This is the offending article.

Should have bought the cheaper Tao.

enfht
    Free Member

Hope QR seatclamp (won’t tighten then snaps)

Hope skewers (comes undone)

Hope Vision lights (not sure what the latest reason for mine failing again is)

darkslider
    Free Member

Haven’t got the lights but my Hope clamps and skewers have all been fine.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Iv’e got Hope lights & seatclamp & had skewers. No problems at all with any.

TheSanityAssassin

enfht – Member

Blah blah etc

Hope Vision lights (not sure what the latest reason for mine failing again is)

Not being Toutified?

jam-bo

Hydrapak quantum clip. Utterly useless.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Marins

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Those DH shorts with MASSIVE bits of plastic.

One Industries especially.

Why………?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

What no Crank Brothers?

BillOddie

What no Crank Brothers?

Yeah but everyone know CB kit is awful…

tomd
    Free Member

Scott waterproof spds shoe things. “heater” is the model.

Scott Heater shoes. Absolutely rotten. I got drawn in as they were going cheap, but definitely a case of “buy cheap buy twice”.

The issue, as far as I can tell, is that the outer isn’t at all breathable or drained. Water gets stuck between the goretex liner and the outer making them very hard to dry. This also creates a festering layer of water and mud so they smelled like a 2 week old road killed badger after a few rides.

nemesis
    Free Member

tom – OT but get something like this:
    http://www.tiso.com/shop/sidas/drywarmer/?gclid=CjgKEAjwzcWcBRCat43fy9e5i3ASJADXOBwuu4yyUiQdbv2Wxh9vipWsFF_uD0vVcfUoNBTo5tHe6_D_BwE

Wet winter shoes (and festering smells) are a thing of the past.

As you were, carry on!

tomd
    Free Member

Wet winter shoes (and festering smells) are a thing of the past.

As you were, carry on!

Cheers for that, although I have a proper wall mounted hot air shoe drier. It can dry a normal pair of walking boots in a couple of hours. With the Scotts, the water was trapped between the layers of the shoe. So they would feel dry insider and out, but after a few hours would feel wet again as the trapped water would permeate out. I’ve never had this problem with any other set of shoes or boots. They’re absolute baws.

Northwind

Ah. That reminds me. I’ve had my drywarmers running in my winter shoes for about 4 months now, should probably switch those off

robdob
    Free Member

Hope QR’s are the best! I’ve had a couple and they are the best I’ve ever used.

Latex tubes – after 20 years of wondering if they are worth it I got some for my road bike. Felt no different to normal tubes but deflated themselves overnight, so they can’t even do the one job they are supposed to. Cack.

sandwicheater

nemesis, I didn’t know that product existed and have needed it in my life for the last few years. Just purchased, a thanking you.

nemesis
    Free Member

I know – I was given a set as a present for skiing and realised how useful they’d be for mtbing (and road riding..)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Camelbak antidote bladders. Two for two have leaked at the hose qr and Google suggests I’m not alone. They’ve not improved over a few years yet they still seem to keep selling the bloody things.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sealskinz waterproof socks or gloves.

Northwind

I love my Sealskinz socks, wouldn’t be without them. Now Gore’s waterproof socks, those are proper shit. They might be good at the waterproof part but they’re no good at being socks.

ransos
    Free Member

Hope QR’s are the best! I’ve had a couple and they are the best I’ve ever used.

Shimano QRs are the best.

servo
    Free Member

Shimano XT QR +1

They just work, especially on my Swift with rigid forks.
    All to do with internal cam.

Hope ones would undo on their own on rough stuff. Fail.

cookeaa

Shimano QRs are the best.

+1.

Hope’s are pretty but fundamentally shite and always will be until they start using an internal cam…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Marins

Some of the newer ones are a bit pants, but my 2009 bike is great. Nothing has fallen off, worn out or flexed. If I’m being really fussy I’d say that the top tube is a teeny bit short and that the paint is too thin but that’s about it.

Oh and Shimano QRs absolutely rule.

richardthird

Gloves with seams in the tips of fingers.

For bottle cages, the cheap ali ones are best, just bend to fit as tight as you like.

Northwind

Any sort of winter glove with a lining that turns inside out! We should take them all, make a bonfire out of them and throw the designers on top.

nemesis
    Free Member

Amen, Northwind. Once spent 15 minutes cursing my Endura winter gloves in the middle of a ride having taken one off and then not being able to get it back on and trying to get the lining back in with freezing hands was a nightmare.

Please to say that my latest Endura gloves don’t have this issue.

emac65
    Free Member

Sealskinz waterproof socks or gloves.

+1,utter 5hite !

atlaz
    Free Member

Any sort of winter glove with a lining that turns inside out! We should take them all, make a bonfire out of them and throw the designers on top.

In theory they’re supposed to enable you to dry gloves faster. It sort of works but putting them back the right way around makes me want to hurt people.

BillOddie

This. x1000

mogrim

Not bike kit, but related: the valve that connects the tube to the bladder on the Salomon backpack I use for running. Absolute nightmare to use, it’s far too stiff.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Interesting that there are 3 products listed that I’ve used long term and had no issues with whatsoever.
    Panaracer Rampage SC – check. ok they slip a bit when its gets mucky
    Hope QRs – check. never had mine slip or undo.
    Sealskinz Soaks – check. keep my feet dry and warm

Conti Vertical tyres, more like horizontal if you ask me.

dragon
    Free Member

Tacx chain tool, bought in an emergency. There is not enough of the tool to hold and get the leverage required for it to work correctly.

tomd
    Free Member

Tacx chain tool, bought in an emergency. There is not enough of the tool to hold and get the leverage required for it to work correctly.

Yes absolute pish! It’s great so long as you have two big adjustable spanners in your back pack. Amazed that they still make that, given that other compact tools like the park one and the topeak one work really well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Rubbish kit that slips under the radar.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts