Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • rubber queen 2.4
  • richi
    Free Member

is anyone running them and what do you think about them, just put one one the front but felt like it slipped a little bit so may try on the back instead of my highroller

swingbing
    Free Member

Loved mine on the front. Just that bit too heavy for all day riding for me though.

Northwind

Was never totally convinced by mine. Great at steamrollering rocks etc, less inspiring round corners, and very cloggy in thick mud. But light, and quick for their size. Decent but pricy.

Is yours a black chili model? Conti make a range of versions but usually only their top end ones cut the mustard.

stevede
    Free Member

They also size up comedy big so make sure you have sufficient clearance in the frame. I bought one as an emergency spare, even the black chilli didn’t give me confidence in the corners on my trails – they must work in some conditions though as people rave over them, not my cup of tea though.

richi
    Free Member

stevede and Northwind thats were m problem mainly lies in the cornering off them, i like to lean in and on two occasions they slipped out, agree that they gobble up rocks but the cornering felt really poor, think i will go back to the minion on front and try the rq on back

messiah
    Free Member

I like them on dry rocky trails but in the slime of my local forest I need a skinnier tyre… like the 2.2 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Are people really feeling a difference between the 2.2 & the 2.4? I like the 2.2 ust so have the 2.4 ust on order thinking it’s just the same plus a bit.

Stevelol
    Free Member

There’s not much difference, just the 2.2 is already a big tyre so the 2.4 seems huge.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Did I hear recently that they were putting the apex casing into the 2.2 ust or did I dream that?

sailor74
    Free Member

For their size both the 2.2 and the 2.4 roll remarkably fast. The 2.4 though is much slower than the 2.2, not to mention much heavier.

They both roll well over rough terrain and grip particularly well on wet roots. Running these tyres effectively gives you 650b wheels due to their massive volume.

When it comes to grip the 2.4 isnt in maxxis minion territory but the trade off is much less rolling resistance. Neither of the sizes have what could be described as a good shoulder tread, which means they dont corner as well as a highroller, minion or nobby nic but again they are faster rolling.

One of the biggest negatives are that they are not good in the mud but then they are not designed for that. Also due to their lack of a good shoulder they tend to struggle slightly when it comes to a wet surface over hard pack, in other words just after its rained on dry dirt before it gets chance to soak into the ground. In this instance they tend to let go quickly and early. These are very specific conditions though.

Ive used 2.4’s on my downhill bike for flatter more jumpy tracks (PORC for example) and they are just effortless to keep moving compared to my usual DH setup of a minion/highroller. However on steep tracks where you want all out grip and cornering ability I would use something else.

As a general all mountain type of tyre they are hard to beat, and in general the trade offs are less in all areas compared to other tyres. For this type of riding I use the 2.2’s, fitting a 2.4 up front simply adds unnecessary weight and rolling resistance for little extra grip.

Finally if you dont want to pay the extra for ‘black chilli’ then dont bother buying them at all.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘rubber queen 2.4’ is closed to new replies.