Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RTA – so what now?
  • terrahawk
    Free Member

Luckily I’m not as badly damaged as the paramedic initially thought following yesterday’s road accident – cuts and bruises and maybe 2 or 3 weeks of healing. No broken leg anyway.
    Amazing considering the car drove into my leg…but anyway.

What now? The bike (a Ragley Rodwell built with some pretty high-end bits), my helmet, etc are pretty trashed. Unlikely that I’ll be able to race in the Strathpuffer at the weekend, which means that my entry and my pairs team mate’s entries may be wasted (but I’ll ask if they can be deferred). It’s a pain in the arse for me and perhaps a disappointment for my sponsors though. (actually I’m gutted)

I’m going to be in a fair bit of pain for a couple of weeks according to the doc.

The guy that hit me gave his details and the police are getting in touch with him.
    There was a few witnesses, the main one being the chap whose car I landed on (and damaged it).
    All parties agreed that I was not at fault in the slightest.

I’m a British Cycling member and apparently that means I’m insured.

So….just contact them? Anything else I should be doing right now?
    I’ve never been RTA’d before.

brant
    Free Member

All publicity is good publicity Jase. But try not to make such a mess next time.

terrahawk
    Free Member

wait till I start posting gruesome pics of the broken bike (once Phil’s collected it from the shoe shop for me)
    😉

br
    Free Member

Log the (replacement) cost of all damages plus keep receipts of any ongoing costs – no matter how small, as over time they add up…

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

No. You’ve contacted BC’s accident dept already. They’re very good and super efficient, they’ll contact you when they need something.

Keep all receipts for any additional travel expenses you get/ anything you spend in relation to the case. Get valuations for the damaged equipment/clothing etc. from the LBS and don’t forget anything that was damaged.

It’ll most likely take a year or so to get full compensation. I got an interim payment to cover the bike and clothing damage at about 6 months and then the personal injury part after about 14mths once the injuries have healed and the insurance companies have stopped arguing amongst themselves.

terrahawk
    Free Member

You’ve contacted BC’s accident dept already

have I?

MrSparkle

No.

Mornin’. Has the leg gone a lovely purple and black colour yet?

terrahawk
    Free Member

as the leg gone a lovely purple and black colour yet?

not as much as I was expecting, however big lumps and stuff have appeared in places that seemed ok yesterday (like my right hand and the side of my knee).

walking to the bog just now was a special kind of fun.

sniff
    Free Member

Go to the Docs on Monday. If you take longer than a few weeks to get better/something else crops up then it makes any future insurance claim much easier.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RTA – so what now?’ is closed to new replies.