Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch 29th – 31st January
  • Bunnyhop

It’s that time of the year when the RSPB have their own science experiment that involves us, the general public.

Sit for an hour in your garden or green space and write down the type of birds you see and the number of that particular bird you encounter. Good for keeping the children occupied.

You can get more information on their website and the results can be sent through to them too.

Have fun.

fasthaggis

👍😊

loum
    Free Member

There was a live craft lesson for kids to make a bird feeder station on there too today. Might still be there.
    It’s another nice thing for them to do in lockdown, getting involved.

beamers

The Beamlets and I are on board with this.

thepurist

Always a cue for our regular visitors to hide away for whatever hour we decide to watch!

matt_outandabout

Well we have seen Goldcrests and Long tailed tit’s for the first time this last week – possibly moving in as the next door but one neighbours have taken out all their hedge and trees in the last month 🙁

pondo

I’m up for that. 🙂

Stainypants

The snow seems to to have pushed the birds on to my table/feeders after 4 months of nothing just on time for this.

dakuan
    Free Member

We’ll be doing this too. Like lots of other burnt out bods I’ve bailed out of finace in the pandemec to do something different and have joined a startup that’s building ‘Strava for Birdwatching’: https://chirpbirding.com/ Hiring too as it happens 😀 https://chirp.slite.com/api/s/note/LThvY87ZbzAe8wetcBkpGx/Senior-Software-Engineer-React-Native

white101

I’m hoping this unlike the last 3 years the weather is kind. Torrential rain doesn’t really bring much to us.

Recently we’ve had a few new faces making regular visits and it would be nice to include them. We now have a family of long tail tits making daily appearances for almost a month and a coal tit. Must have made a positive impact with the feed change.

crankbreaker

3rd year for Mrs Crank and me, got our flasks and waterproofs at the ready! We get quite a few varieties of tits (fnarr fnarr) and a fair few other little ‘uns so hoping for another relaxing hour this year!

nbt

@dakuan
    you might want to get your cto to have a look at your site on something other than an iphone, doesn’t look great on and Android tablet

dakuan
    Free Member

thanks! CTO is me 🙂 Yeah there’s lots of issues with the current product. It’s an off the shelf product that’s been extended by an offshore team. We’ll be rebuilding almost all of it with a new team (that ill be hiring) in the next few motnhs

dakuan
    Free Member

oh there is actually an app for it too, it’s much friendlier than the website generally

thepurist

doesn’t look great on and Android tablet

Fine on my android phone tho (opera), and I’ll bet 50p it works on Drac’s ipad

Bunnyhop

matt_outandabout – that’s truly sad.

Yesterday a large crane arrived and took down several mature trees from the canal bank very near out house. I understand that the roots may have been affecting the high canal bank, but I felt very emotional. A lot of those trees were covered in ivy. So much creature habitat destroyed in a few hours.

Our bird count has been very good in the last few weeks due to the snow, ice and low temperatures, we had redpoll in the garden for the first time, but they’ve gone now.

beamers

Very slow hour here today. 3 Blue Tits, 2 Great Tits and 1 Robin.

That was the lot.

All in the first half an hour as well.

jakd95
    Free Member

We’ve had a pair of blackcaps arrive in the garden just in time for this, hopefully they’ll be out tomorrow. Plenty of the usual sparrows, robins, starlings, blackbirds and a few types of tits too.

Bunnyhop

Our garden has been a windy harbour and scared all the birds off. Added to this on Friday a sparrowhawk sat on the pergola (next to one bird feeder) for 15 minutes,
    Sparrow hawk came back yesterday and hardly a bird to be seen.

Will try again this afternoon.

ElShalimo

Sparrowhawk!!!

Wow! We only get sparrows, occasional starlings and blackbirds

zippykona

1 parakeet so far.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Cleaned and refilled the feeders this morning, 10 mins to go

The count so far

robin 2*
    goldfinch
    wood pigeon
    sparrow 7
    crow
    blackbird 2*
    great tit 2
    greenfinch 2

*I haven’t seen two blackbirds or two robins in the garden at the same time, but they are def different birds (1 female blackbird & 1 male and 1 skinny robin and 1 fat robin) but think technically I’m only meant to count as 1.

Only slightly unusual thing is the one goldfinch, we normally see 4 or 5 or none, not one on its own.

tlr

Fairly standard count for us:

Great tit
    Blue tit
    Coal tit
    Pidgeon
    Collared Dove
    Crow
    Magpie
    Starling
    Dunnock
    Bullfinch

MIA were chaffinch, robin, wren, goldfinch and long tailed tit, all of which are very frequent visitors. Treecreeper, nuthatch, siskin and great spotted woodpecker would have been nice possibles. It is still -2 degrees here though, so maybe they have more sense.

oldtennisshoes

Mrs OTS is doing this – it’s looking like a good haul. Even a new species for the list – Pheasant.
    Hilights today include long tailed tits, gold crest and the usual woodpeckers.
    Just waiting for the bull finches to put in an appearance.

slowol

Just done our count, after shooing away a large black cat we saw Starlings, crows, pigeons, great tits, blackbirds, dunnocks, wren, magpie, goldfinches and a redwing.

The robins and blue tits that were seen earlier decided to go back to bed, or at least go somewhere without a neighborhood cat.

Kept one of the kids entertained for an hour too so we’ll count that as a win.

Cheers for the reminder OP 😊

sofaman

Usual array of finches and tits, but also male+female blackcaps and this fella:

4462-AC95-3-A69-4-CB5-ACE6-099-F71495003

pondo

Poor show – male and female blackbirss, couple of doves, one each of magpie, sparrow, robin, pigeon and a possible dunnock. Looking forward to next year! 🙂

pondo

I will never not be amused by blackbirds chasing each other round. 🙂

thepurist

Despite my earlier scepticism we had the regulars plus a large mixed group of goldfinch and siskin, with the siskin visiting the nyjer feeder too. We’ve not seen siskin for ages and the nyjer was barely getting looked at, so that’s a bit special just for the rspb.

dakuan
    Free Member

I live very near Bungalow Central, where every house has a bird table and feeders so we get quite a few of the back garden regulars coming and going to see whos put things out.

Blue Tit
    Great Tit
    Coal Tit
    Dunnock
    Siskin
    Goldfinch
    Greenfinch
    Chaffinch
    Blackbird
    Wood Pigeon
    Feral Pigeon
    Redwing
    Fieldfare
    Red Kite
    Black-headed gull

But i’d swap them all for that Sparrow Hawk!

beamers

During the same hour today all of the regulars were back! Wren, Blackbirds, Pigeons, Dunnock.

Bunnyhop

Oooh some nice birds seen above.

Well the sparrow hawk was back. A full 15 minutes before anything flew in.
    Count:
    Chaffinch
    woodpigeon
    sparrow hawk
    robin
    greenfinch
    goldfinch
    dunnock
    blackbird

Missing from usual visits:
    bullfinch
    longtail tits
    blue ”
    great ”
    coal ”
    wren
    starling
    black cap

oldtennisshoes

We have a sparrow hawk that patrols the garden. It’s developed a gruesome technique that involves spooking the birds so that they fly into the windows of the sun room. They drop, stunned and then it swoops down to finish them off.

This shows the imprint a pigeon made on our window that was being pursued the said sparrow hawk

And the sparrow hawk in action

CountZero

Didn’t have much chance yesterday, and today I went to check the feeders, and found the incessant wet weather had made some of the feeders go manky, so cleared them out and refilled them, then as I was already out in the snow and wet, I felt it necessary to clear up the unspeakable mess the birds had left under the tree the feeders hang in, so cue ages with a shovel, brush and hose, trying not to get my eyes poked out by my Acer tree. By the time I finished that and sorted out the hedgehogs feeding station it was getting dark.
    I could hear goldfinches twittering away, so they were around and we’ve had a little group of long tailed tits, starlings, sparrows, wood pigeons and various other tits as well over the weekend and generally. For some considerable time we also get goldcrests, but it’s impossible to predict when they’ll turn up, and they’re so well camouflaged, apart from the yellow head flash, that spotting them is really difficult.
    There’s also a red kite that’s been turning up regularly, flying very low over the houses and gardens on the opposite side of the road, and over my side as well, but it’s hardly a garden bird!

goldfish24

Love the sparrowhawk story above. Saw on Twitter someone’s bird watch tally:

Blue tit.
    Sparrowhawk.
    The end.

Also note a few pheasants mentioned above. We’ve got tonnes here*. I’m interested to see the survey numbers on this one. I suspect the usual amount of the useless (admittedly beautiful) birds were released but the usual number of, erm, shooters were not released this year due to lockdown.

We enjoyed our hour, was an exciting 55 mins staring at an empty garden then a frantic five minutes with our expected guests including the pair of great spotted and my favourite long tailed tit platoon.

* fun fact: the biomass of pheasants reared and released for shooting in Britain exceeds 1.5x the natural avian biomass. https://www.whatthesciencesays.org/estimating-the-number-and-biomass-of-pheasants-in-britain/

pictonroad

These things. A seemingly infinite amount of them. And nothing else, not another bird dares enter.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch 29th – 31st January’ is closed to new replies.