Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • RSP Plummet – owner reviews?
  • NormalMan

Anyone got the latest version of these? ie in 31.6mm for example.

I am thinking of dipping my toe in the dropper post pool and these look good value. I would just like some feedback from anyone with one please.

joebristol

Only had the old mechanical version of it which o like. No experience of the new one bit in previous threads people have been saying apart from being a bit heavy they are good for the money.

I have a brand x ascent from chain reaction cycles which are also a budget post. So far so good on it – it’s smooth with no play and a nice enough 1x shifter style lever. It’s stealth routing only though if that’s an issue.

NormalMan

Thanks.

Unfortunately stealth routing is a no go.

flyingmonkeycorps

I have one – not sure if it’s the latest but it has external cable routing and no shaft boot / gaiter. 30.9 and 125mm size.

This is my second after the first failed and was replaced under warranty after a fair amount of winter use in less than pleasant conditions. When it’s working it’s fine – pretty amazing for the money in fact. If this one doesn’t die quite so quickly then I will be exceedingly happy.

It’s not as slick as the Reverb I have on the other bike but it does the job just fine.

Fairly easy to strip down but the piston to raise and lower is a sealed unit so if that goes there doesn’t seem to be much you can do about it. I’m tempted to strip this one and put some better grease in but also a little paranoid that I might break it!

sirromj

Yeah mine is alright, a 31.6 x 100 (or is it 125?). Had to put a spot of threadlock on the bottom of it as it kept coming undone:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rsp-plummet-plummeted-maintenance-etc
    But seems fine, that doesn’t seem to be anything to worry about at all. I don’t think it’s going to last many years on a daily commute bike (it’s used as a dropper 2 or 3 days out of 5 or 6 a week).
    Definitely a no frills dropper. Lever feels like it’s made of cheese but no problems, do the grub screw holding the cable up hard. No regrets getting it.

psycorp
    Free Member

Got one one the Fatty, which is mainly my winter bike. A bit heavy but seems solid so far. I replaced the original lever, which is a bit crap, with a Bontrager dropzone lever, which is much better built and easier to use.

chrispo
    Free Member

Just bought one. Stiff as hell. Is there anything I can do to loosen it? I can’t get it to lower all the way even with max bum pressure.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

I bought the new model and it failed after three rides. Imo it’s a poor deign. I then bought the KS Exa-form speedup post and for same price point far more reliable (just doesn’t have a handlebar remote).

However, I wouldn’t think the speedup would be good in trail centers where you’re constantly using the dropper post. It’s more of a post for the hills where your using it less often (long ups and long downs).

alpineharry
    Free Member

I had one (Bought in february so not sure if that qualifies as the ‘new’ model) that’s recently been sent away to be fixed after only about 10-15 rides or so. That includes a week in the alps but shouldn’t make a difference as seat would be lowered anyway. The seal around the stanchion (So to speak) has come out a bit so doesn’t work so well.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I can’t get it to lower all the way even with max bum pressure.

hmm, what lube you using?

dahedd
    Free Member

Got a 125mm external to user on my Wazoo fatty a few months back in the sales from High on Bikes. Can’t fault it tbh, especially give it cost under £90. The levers a lil agricultural but it works fine.

Only issue I had was that it came with a frayed cable. High on Bikes had a replacement to me in under 48 hrs.

NormalMan

edenvalleyboy – Member
    I bought the new model and it failed after three rides. Imo it’s a poor deign. I then bought the KS Exa-form speedup post and for same price point far more reliable (just doesn’t have a handlebar remote).

I’d ordered a Speed Up but when it turned up it was way heavier I’d been quoted by the importer. Plus there were a host of negative reviews here. So I sent it back.

I then thought about the plummet. So far not bought one yet though.

Mixed feelings on if I should have given the Speed Up a go or not now.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Sorry to revive this but thinking of getting a plummet for my son but he is 9 stone and coukdnt push my giant contact down. Are these pretty easy to compress?
    Cheers o

pocpoc
    Free Member

Very easy for me – but I’m 15 stone!
    It’s not so easy to push down by hand though so could be a bit of an issue for your son.
    Is there anywhere you could try one? They sell them in Go Outdoors – maybe a friendly shop assistant would let you have a play with one in store?

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Cheers mate.
    There isn’t anywhere local to me that sell them I’ll have a look at go outdoors.
    I might just start feeding him loads of dumplings lol.

chrispo
    Free Member

I had to send mine back as it was very stiff to start with and soon got too stiff to operate at all, and the replacement is, well, quite stiff too. Certainly stiffer than my reverb. But I can operate it fine at 11 stone.

Maybe the CRC Brand X post is less stiff???

bensongd
    Free Member

Just returned mine to Go Outdoors this morning, fitted it to the bike did a couple of down/up checks and got a massive score in the stanchion. Haven’t even ridden on it so not grit or debris.

Go Outdoors were great and exchanged it straight away, only cost me £80 with some discount so can’t complain. It was smooth and responsive when fitted with a fraction of side to side play but nothing noticeable.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Cheers lads. could someone with 125mm plummet please measure from seat rail to bottom of collar as I have got him a large bike and this measurement can’t be over 180mm.
    Cheers

flyingmonkeycorps

Just an update on mine – after breaking a second one (riding one a week in all conditions, weigh about 13st) I’ve opted for a refund and try a Brand X post that are on offer on CRC. Tredz have been absolutely brilliant but I couldn’t in good conscience recommend the post.

They’ve both gone in the same way – there’s a switch at the top of the piston that’s operated by the cable and that’s failed leaving the post unlocked and bouncing up and down.

sirromj

Stackheight looks 56mm-ish:

(the post I ordered was 100mm, earlier this year).

ajantom

I’ve had the 125mm drop stealth version running on a bike since Spring.

Had no problems with it, return speed is good, not stupidly fast like my old GD, but not as slow as an X-Fusion Hi-Lo I had.

When I’ve re-extended it, if I haven’t held the lever down for long enough and it’s still down a little (i.e. only a few mm or so) you get a slight clunk when you sit on it. This seems to stop if you just give the remote another quick push. I’ve only noticed this – and it is a very slight clunk – when it is down by a few mm. If it’s down a few cm, or all the way down then it doesn’t happen.

Setting up with stealth routing was pretty easy. The handlebar remote is a bit cheap looking, but has worked well with no problems.
    I might buy a nicer remote at some point, but as the post only cost me £85, and a decent remote will be £25-£30 I can’t justify it!

It’s not had too much of a hard time weather wise yet, so time will tell how it copes with a UK winter. But 7 or so months in and I’m very pleased with it, especially for the price.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Brilliant mate. So I assume the post above seat tube should be 125mm + 56 =181mm.
    Thanks for taking the time to do this for me mate

ajantom

Just measured mine, and I think the stack height must be slightly more on the non-stealth version. Probably due to the cable entry point.
    Overall height from rails to the bottom of the collar on mine is 176mm.

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

Excellent mate thanks very much

canopy
    Free Member

I’ve been running mine since August 2016 (I must have been one of the first to get the 2017 model).

It still works fine.  It did almost a year of weekly riding in varying conditions before I became a dad, and haven’t been riding as much. I did wipe it down after every ride and apply ‘fork juice’ either then or before each ride.

My main comments on it are:

1. I see posts above about not being able to make it go down. if you overclamp the seat post it won’t work well. (I did this initially, then realised my error) Only clamp it tight enough that it doesn’t move the post when you bump down, no more than necessary!)

2. if you ride in a lot of crap/clay etc the recess where the cable end goes under the seat can fill with gunk and it will stop the post working. (by stopping it locking!) this can also freeze. I cleaned mine, then filled mine with waterproof grease and its been fine since.

3. I did have a fair harsh crash, after which it has a tiny wobble. I’m more broken than it was. I haven’t taken it apart to investigate yet. I may just need to pack some grease. if its properly broken I’ll buy another as I’ve had value for money and no real problems.

4. a moan about cable management. the cable entry under the seat appears to be on the wrong side (it goes on the front facing side, not the back). and how to route the cable at the rear end of the bike was ‘fun’. I’d invest in a dropper specific guide seat post clamp (didn’t know they existed, and not riding enough again yet to care).

5. also, the silver screw bolt thing at the bottom main does little, however it can be used to limit amount of travel if you wind it in.. i think i used needle nose pliers to move it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘RSP Plummet – owner reviews?’ is closed to new replies.