RS versus Fox: More robust and less servicing required?

Home Forum Bike Forum RS versus Fox: More robust and less servicing required?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • RS versus Fox: More robust and less servicing required?
  • beanieripper

do a search, i dont think there has been many subjects discussed as much as this..

hora

I’d have Fox over RS any day of the week. The damping is leagues apart.

I cant afford Fox though!

After every ride pop oil on the stanchions, pump then wipe of the resulting dirt ring.

Premier Icon slowboydickie
    Subscriber

Any subject other than how good Orange Fives are. I’ll do a search.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Marzocchi? 3 year warranty with no servicing required.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

I keep hearing about the onerous servicing needed on fox forks. There’s 4 sets in this house, all running fine, all ridden in the peaks and all 2006 or older. If the bike isn’t getting washed then the stanchions still get some attention. Wiped with a bit of kitchen roll to clean the seals, stanchions and o-ring travel indicator. Then a bit of finish line stanchion lube and cycle them a few times. Wipe of any dirt drawn out of the seals.

Then, and this is the biggie, I hang the bikes for storage by the front wheel. This means that fork oil rests on and around the top bearing. I think this is why mine have all been so trouble free.

I checked the oil the other day, clean as when it went in. I only do an oil change/clean once a year, not even sure it needs that much.

Problems seem to occur when people let that top bearing dry out and leave the seals dirty.

Of course YMMV.

hora

Agree. Plus dont use a pressure washer.

Premier Icon slowboydickie
    Subscriber

I have got some kashima Fox 26er forks and they seem fine but it is a pain the **** servicing the seals regularly, therefore I am put off buying some for the much fantasised 29er I am obsessing over.

From reading the forums it seems that RS don’t need the same 20 hour seal service but some bike shop owner told me the RS schedule is as anal as Fox. Any comments?

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

marzocchis in rc3ti flavour ftw

superfli

Personally I dont go near Fox anymore. If I were to buy brand new and I could afford it (which I never will!), I would get Marz Ti, due to their confidence inspiring service levels. My RS have been superb. I am one to regularly service forks as well, 5+times a year.

if you want to service them your self and save a lot of money RS

PJM1974

I normally do mine once every six months, but between me, my missus and the kids we’ve five bikes so fork servicing is a frequent exercise. Having said that, I’ve a set of 2011 Revelations that I haven’t touched yet, mainly because they’re only ever used in the dry.

I love RS forks. They’re well designed around very simple (but durable) internals so looking after them isn’t onerous. True, they may not have the most supple damping in the world, but I’m brave enough to admit that Motion Control is more than adequate for me.

Having said all of that, I know a guy with a set of 2003 Fox Vanillas that have only had a lower service once or twice and they’re reportedly still going fine.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘RS versus Fox: More robust and less servicing required?’ is closed to new replies.