Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • (RS) Steerer tube replacement? Is it the done thing? How safe?
  • james
    Free Member

"but would you trust your life to it"
    Not at the moment, but am interested in trying to determine how (un)safe it could be made, even if I don't ride it

I could always buy a full face helmet ..

Nick

I am I right that 5 mm of press fitted pipe is all that is holding the forks and the frame together? Gulp.

It would have to be a fooking tight fit wouldn't it?

james
    Free Member

About 15mm, with a wider bit at the bottom edge

If you think about a stem clamped upto a steerer tube, you're only meant to do the bolts upto about 5-10Nm?

tinsy
    Free Member

Nick its how wheels are held onto trains, just interference fit, and lots of bits inside your car engine, axle, etc etc..

When I bought my last motorbike the fork stanchions were so bent the wheel was on the frame, i bought it as right off to build into a road/track bike, the stanchions were straightend and I checked nothing else bar going over the bike as best as possible, it was entirely at my own discretion as your repair is for you.

Old nail built up from scrap stuff.

and after the first track day.

The frame your forks were on is prebably a week point to be honest and I would keep a close eye on it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

5mm?

It's an unknown as to whether the frame/crown will have been weakened – and you may not find out until you experience similar forces again – in which case you are crashing badly anyway.

Who replaces the frame after bending forks?

If the steerer goes in easily I don't think I'd ride it as the crown will have stretched.

BigJohn

A fair few areas around the headtube have got flaking paintwork as a result of it too though

So if it had been near to breaking point then there should/ought to be signs of flakey paint/stressed paint?

Just throw it away

tinsy
    Free Member

cynic-al, but you could ream the crown hole and go up a size on the new steerer if he was to go down the route of getting one made. Were only talking hundredths of a mm here.

The thing is, if in doubt bin em out. Give you postage for them 😉

coffeeking
    Free Member

"bin em out"?! What's this, making up phrases to fit a ryhme 🙂 ?

james
    Free Member

"Just throw it away "
    Its not my bike to throw away, its my brothers, I don't think he wants to have to drop £1200ish on a new frame when he 'can' still ride this one. Plus you can't get a QUAD-link frame frame-only

"but you could ream the crown hole and go up a size on the new steerer"
    As new, the part of the steerer tube that press fits into the crown is the same outer diameter as the part where the headset crown bearing race sits, (presumably 30mm as per that RST one, so that all crown races fit all forks), then tapering back to 1 1/8" for the rest of the fork? (the bend is above this transition point, probably about 40-50mm higher

tinsy
    Free Member

Yeah pretty much.. I am very bored. 🙂

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

My mate fitted an alloy steerer to some single crwon Marzocchi shivers. The original was steel and way too short. He did the heating the crown up trick and then freezing the alloy steerer tube. Thus making a press fit. He even used a different steerer tube, think it was a Rockshox one he bought cheap. Bike has been running no problems, hes a fairly burly lad too. I doubt the crown strength will have been compromised. Just dont go too much with the heat on the crown, boiling water will be enough. Heating it a lot with a blow torch too much would compromise the crown strength though.

I would ride with that no problems.

wwaswas

which forced the headset to ovalise the headtube in the bike

Bike has been running no problems, hes a fairly burly lad too. I doubt the crown strength will have been compromised

😯

talk to Marin about a crash replacement front end.

I can't belive people (particularly 'burly' people) treat their own safety with quite so much contempt…

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

whats a Marin front end got to do with the price of fish?

james
    Free Member

The most annoying thing about the whole thing, is that had the bike not had a handbuilt front wheel and some poorly tensioned with some miles under its belt factory built front wheel, the front wheel would probably have pringled and left the frame and fork completely unaffected. Thanks merlin!

wwaswas

seth-enslow666 – he said it was a quad link frame – aren't they made by Marin?

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

yes but I thought he said the headtube had gone oval after the crash? Why not just hit the headtube and make it round again. Stick a bit of round pipe in it for a guide and hit it until the headtube is round again, a bit like a blacksmith!

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Above comment was facetious and should not be takem literally!

james
    Free Member

Marin do make Quad-link bikes, but they're not the only one ..

ojom
    Free Member

I will sell you a new CSU at trade if it helps you NOT press in a new steerer.

Please don't mess about with stuff like this. An impact that has damaged your headtube and split a set of forks could easily happen again and you will not get lucky twice.

If you want some help then please drop me or Colin and email to mdownie@thebikechain.co.uk with the exact model and i will sort you a price.

_-_-Mods – please feel free to delete this if deemed inappropriate-_-_

james
    Free Member

Whats a CSU?
    I'm not thinking of riding it (anymore), mostly interested in the detail

The fork hasn't split, just bent lots. The pic is after the steerer tube has been forced out of the crown

ojom
    Free Member

Steerer assembly. The upper legs basically.

james
    Free Member

Steerer, Crown + Stantions. Oh I see, CSU, stantions being uppers

Erm maybe yes, I don't need to get the fork off of my brother, just that if rideable would be better than the MX pro on my HT
    Its just that the costs could be a bit preventative, though I'd be prepared to swap at home with the help of the rockshox manual
    A complete 'CSU/SCU' assembly would put my mind at ease

ojom
    Free Member

Drop me an email on above address and i will find out the costs for you.

james
    Free Member

YGM

ojom
    Free Member

Ta – will get back to you soon.

Wozza
    Free Member

Mate, your brother is gonna die on those!

And that looks like a "soft" landing too!

djcombes
    Free Member

I'd be more worried about the frame and the headtube than the forks. Forks can definitely be fixed and the best way is with complete new upper section. Frame on the other hand sounds like it needs the attention of someone with experience of aluminium fabrication at the least (e.g. fix by welding and re-machining headset cups), and may be destined for the bin.

BigJohn

What's the worst that could happen?

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘(RS) Steerer tube replacement? Is it the done thing? How safe?’ is closed to new replies.