Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • RS Pike top-out clunking
  • hardtailonly

Hi,

Have a RS Pike on my BigWig. Bought used last summer and had the airshaft changed from 130mm to 150mm by my bike mechanic.

I’ve not ridden it that much, but there seems to be a noticeable top-out clunk. I can’t be sure if it has been there since Aug/Sept last year but I hadn’t ridden it enough to really notice, or whether it has developed more recently when I’ve been riding the bike more frequently.

Any obvious causes or solutions? I’ve never been inside a fork before, so taking it apart is not an option for me unless you can give me a link to a fools guide to do so!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m not gonna try to diagnose it for you, but when I’ve had that on a Pike it’s meant that it’s time for a full service – because the damper’s not working right.

If you bought it used, it probably just wants a service.

joebristol

Just before you send it off for a service have you tried slowing down the rebound damping – might be too quick at the moment vs the air pressure you’re running in the fork.

binman

Wrong airspring ?

ayjaydoubleyou

When I had similar, my damper bladder had blown (and therefore pissed oil everywhere inside).

Very lubricated and no damping actually gave a nice (ish) ride – I have it quite fast anyway, but like you there was a disconcerting clunk whenever your wheel left the ground.

Superficial
    Free Member

FWIW I’ve noticed this on my Pike Ultimate from new. It’s definitely not leaking from the bladder and the damping is working just fine. If I dial in more Rabbits, the clunk goes away but I’ve been experimenting with very fast rebound damping and I’ve left it as it is.

Having said that, it could indeed be the damper if no amount of additional rabbits fixes the clunk.

Pikes are very easy to do a lowers service on. See the SRAM videos on Youtube, you’ll need a 5mm Allen key, a mallet and some fork oil to replace (I think RS specify a particular 0w30 but in reality anything will be OK). If 120ml of fluid comes out of the bottom of the right leg, the bladder has blown. Otherwise it’s OK.

TLDR: Try adding more rebound damping. If that doesn’t fix it, it’s service time.

Tim
    Free Member

Damper needs bleeding (so I’m told)

blastit
    Free Member

air shaft

Should not really clunk as there is a rubber bumper just by top cap. Slowing damper down will make it less so but not the problem
    So I would take it back to your guy to have a look.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Miss AD’s new Lyrik Select+ did this from new. I checked the bladder and it benefitted from a quick bleed (pretty easy to do if you have 3wt oil and the right syringe tip). You dont even need to remove the lowers.

Might be worth checking that first if you can, before sending off.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike top-out clunking’ is closed to new replies.