RS Pike, anything else?

Home Forum Bike Forum RS Pike, anything else?

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 83 total)
  • RS Pike, anything else?
  • wrecker

Looking at a new fork. I know the current wisdom is that the pike is hard to beat, but I’m keen to look around. I’m used to a 36 float RC2, which I like but a 650b version will be £££££££. Besides this, I’m sick of fox pricing and something which sits higher in it’s travel would be great.
    I’ve always wanted to own a marzocchi but the 350NCR is fox territory money wise, and the 2nd hand 55s are 170mm. BOS = £££££. DVO = £££££. Anyone have any other options? Xfusion? Formula?
    It’s for a stanton switchback so 140/150mm, 650b.

cubemeup

i think youve answered your own question there

zero cool

Recently had the chance to try a Pike RCT3, 2015 36 RC2 and a Manitou Mattoc Pro (I think). All 160mm. I felt that the 36 was the better performing fork out of the 3 but as you said it’s a lot of money. But I was very happy with the performance of the Mattoc and am actually thinking of buying one myself.

They were all fitted to the same model of bike and set up using the base settings (plus a little fiddling of dials later on) and I would be hard pressed to chose which I would buy. I’ve heard more people complaining about the Pike but there are a lot more of them out there being ridden by the general public than the other 2.

I can only comment on their performance that day, but I am pretty sure that they were all stock forks.

Tom KP

Premier Icon benpinnick
    Subscriber

X-Fusion sweep is a great fork, as is the Mattoc. I have a brand new set (Mattoc) knocking about if you’re interested for a great price 😉

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

If you’ve got a set of Mattoc in 26″ I’d be very interested.

PJM1974

Fox pricing and stanchion longevity issues put them well out of contention for me.

Premier Icon Tracey
    Subscriber

We are running Pikes and X Fusion Slants on our bikes, I have to say that I cant tell the difference in performance between the two, probably because I’m a girl. Both sets are dual travel and the Slants are 650b compatible.

Mine

Abigales

munrobiker

Fox pricing and stanchion longevity issues put them well out of contention for me.

Same for me. The Pikes are mind bogglingly good and you can pick them up for about half the price of a 36. It’d be silly to get anything else really.

wrecker

I haven’t had any “wear” on my 36’s as yet, but their pricing has gone loopy. If I could shoehorn 6fiddys into 26″ 36′, I’d get a second hand set but as I’ll be running some pretty large volume tyres with wide rims, I’ll get a 650 fork.
    It does seem like the pike is a no-brainer.
    Shame really, what on earth made marz think that they could pitch their 350 at a higher pricepoint than a pike? Crazy italians.

julians

Pikes do seem to be hard to beat these days, good performance, good price, good parts availability etc.

Just built up a new bike, really wanted to re-use my marz 55 rc3’s because they’re fantastic, but dont fit 650b wheels, so had to get a new fork. I looked at all the options, couldnt justify the price of fox 36, or the new marz 350’s.

I’ve owned fox 36 rc2’s in the past, and didnt have any issues with stanchion wear etc, and Thought they were pretty good until I tried the marzocchis. I think if the fox or marz were priced more similarly to rockshox then I’d go for the 36’s or 350’s, but their prices are way too steep.

Found some pikes in 650b/160mm rct3 solo air form for £500 from winstanleys. Only done a couple of miles on them, but they feel good, and are very light for what they are.

bone_idle

+1 for the slants

wrecker

Hmmm. These seem very good value.
    http://www.merlincycles.com/2014-marzocchi-350-cr-tapered-275-71191.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Marzocchi+Suspension+Forks&gclid=CL7gkurD2cICFYbKtAodKmgAaA
    Not the bells and whistles NCR, but nice nevertheless.
    Be interested to hear the opinion of the suspension gurus.
    I’ve not ridden a hardtail for years, is it more important to get a good fork considering the lack of rear bounce?

fr0sty125

Ohh…. Merlin have the 2014 350CR back in stock they are a bargain!

From memory the options are

Fox 36 RC2 – The Fox 36 is probably the new class leader in terms of performance but expensive and short maintenance intervals.

BOS Devile – High performace but is expensive and crap to service/warranty.

RS Pikes – The baseline

Manitou Mattoc – The Manitou Mattoc seems to be highly rated not heard anything bad about it. It has a super snazzy bottom out feature so if you have issues with harsh bottom out this might be a good option.

Marzocchi 350 CR/NCR/NCR Ti – I have the CR it is a very stiff fork and very active my usual riding is the peaks which are quite rocky I get noticeably less arm pump with this fork.

X Fusion Sweep/Slant – I have heard that X Fusion slant/sweep is very capable but not quite as composed or as stiff as the Pike.

X Fusion Vengeance – The Vengeance is heavy.

Suntour Auron – From what I have read the SR Auron is not very refined but not terrible.

Have you tried the 2015 36’s? Try them and you will then realise.

I’ve had 2 sets of pikes on a different bikes. Put a set of 36’s on and it’s night and day difference. Plusher, better damping, sit higher in their travel, more adjustment possible.

IMO of course, it’s definitely worth the extra cash for the 36’s.

wrecker

Marzocchi 350 CR/NCR/NCR Ti – I have the CR it is a very stiff fork and very active my usual riding is the peaks which are quite rocky I get noticeably less arm pump with this fork.

Interesting. Could you possibly expand please?
    Do they sit high in their travel, whats the small bump compliance like? Are they divey at all? and lastly, what other forks do you have experience of/can you compare to?

Plusher, better damping, sit higher in their travel, more adjustment possible.

I don’t doubt this at all.

IMO of course, it’s definitely worth the extra cash for the 36’s.

This, I do doubt. I could get 3 sets of 350s for the same price. I just won’t do it.

Hob Nob

MRP Stages? Seems to get some favourable resonses.

I’d probably buy Pikes, or some second hand BOS. There isn’t an issue in servicing them now, and to be fair, they are nice & simple to work on at home, they are an open bath design & Fox 34 seals fit the lowers fine.

We have Pikes on one bike & BOS on mine. I prefer the feel of a Deville, in reality though I don’t go any quicker with them on the bike.

fr0sty125

I haven’t tried the new 36 RC2. Out of those I have tried the Pike and X fusion Sweep.

I don’t find that the 350 CR dives that much, it just seems to sit in the mid stroke and behaves quite actively. I find that you can have confidence to grip the bars with a light grip and it encourages you to pump the trail knowing that you wont get any harsh feedback. I have done back to back runs on some rock descents with the RS and the Marzocchi and it is noticeable to me how well it soaks it up. I find the spring rate is fairly linear as well which I guess should not be surprising for a Marzocchi fork. The pike is probably more efficient and sophisticated but I think it is also about characteristics and where you ride.

EDIT – I Guess I should also say I’m on my 2nd set of 350 CR some of them had out of spec bushings that caused adverse wear on the fork. The sign of this is a huge amount of stiction when new followed by wear marks on stanchions. I had a replacement set about 10 days after sending them off for warranty.

Have you got a service guide for the Devilles, Hob Nob?

Going to do mine over the holidays. Might do seals while I’m at it, although there’s no signs that it’s needed.

Premier Icon mattbee
    Subscriber

X Fusion Sweep are an excellent fork. Ime Pike feels a bit more composed over really rough stuff or repeated fast impacts but otherwise the X Fusion is just fantastic for the monies.

Premier Icon chrisdw
    Subscriber

Ben… How much for the Mattoc fork if its 650b?

nodrog2

I have both X-fusion Slant and RS Pike on different bikes. The Pike just shades it in terms of overall damping quality (it’s very good indeed). The X-fusion for the money is fantastic though. All the fork you need for 95% of the time. It’s basic as it only has rebound but it’s reliable and simple to service.

mindmap3

Have you got a service guide for the Devilles, Hob Nob?

Going to do mine over the holidays. Might do seals while I’m at it, although there’s no signs that it’s needed.

I found some guidance on here – they areally are a piece of cake to work on. I found getting the Motul oil harder than actually servicing the forks. I used Fox 34 seals with no issues.

Cool… have seen the BikeBert stuff over on PB, and it’s reasonably clear, but the more info, the better. And I have the Motul oil – which one did you use? Think it’s 7.5w I have, the Loco recommended one.

Not sure if I need the seals, but then again, shame not to change them while the forks are apart.

mindmap3

I used 7.5w in the damping leg and a few ml of 20w in the other leg for lubrication. I’d chuck in some new seals whilst they’re in bits.

The info I found on here was helpful apart from it recomended 5w oil – everything else appeared to be OK (well my forks didn’t kill me although they do need some professional TLC because they leak out of the rebound adjuster these days).

wl

I’d go Pike. My RCs are as plush as my top-end coil 55s, they cost £320 new, and they weigh nowt.

wrecker

Thanks for that frosty125. Seriously tempted by those Marz.

element

I have just gone from the pike to the 350 NCR,
    With the pike I was finding I was getting Arm pump quite bad so decided to ditch them in favour of the 350.
    The 350 NCR is such a plush fork just eats the bumps up, still sits in up in the travel like the pike but does not feel so much chatter.
    Also the build quality of the fork is quite high with all the dials machined from Ali. The Lock out just firms the compression so the fork still remains active, Really like these forks feel like a mini dh fork 😉

deluded

wrecker – did you go for a Switchback in the end? Is that what these forks are for?

Brake-neck

Element, have you tried climbing without the lockout, just ask as I’m looking at the CR’s and want to know if they are gonna be a pita for climbing.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I’d go Pike. My RCs are as plush as my top-end coil 55s, they cost £320 new, and they weigh nowt.

This, except mine aren’t quite as effortlessly plush as my old 55s.

Little bit more arm fatigue on really jarring rides (thinking Dollywagon Pike for example).

Still v happy with Pike though.

wrecker

wrecker – did you go for a Switchback in the end? Is that what these forks are for?

I will be come march (if I can wait that long…….) so yep, these are intended for the switchback.
    Thinking of trying those wide-ass ryde enduro rims, reverb, 1×10 XT/SLX, Thomson carbon bar, x4 50mm stem.

Stevelol

I have a 350CR. Haven’t ridden it yet but the build quality is great, they feel stiff as hell and not much heavier than the Revs they replaced. They’re so easy to strip down (I had to install a spacer) which I recommend doing as they had nowhere near 25cc’s of oil in.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Subscriber

Steve, what oil do the 350’s take? I am looking at a new set of forks and i want a set i can strip down and do the seals and re-lube easily.

Thanks 🙂

Stevelol

Silikolene rsf 7.5wt iirc, this thread has all the info forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/marzocchi-better-late-than-never-908511-4.html#post11652577

wrecker

Hmm. That thread has got me thinking again. Money to upgrade the seals, money to buy the spacers, no oil in the legs, possible removal of a bump stop to stop it clicking. Plus the issues frosty had.
    Decisions decisions.

hora

Selling my pike 650b’s in the classifieds 🙂 —->

Stevelol

You should get the spacer with the fork, if not Windwave will send you one for free, they did for me. Why do you have to upgrade the seals? Mine feel great with no stiction. What bump stop?!

wrecker

Too pricey for me hora thanks. The 34 CTDs are tempting though, mind CRC have them brand new for £430.
    Just seems like the 350CRs have a few issues. The lack of oil is pretty basic IMHO. I’d want to send them straight back if I received them like that.

element

Brake-neck. Can’t comment on the cr climbing performance as the 2 models use different damping internals but I have no trouble with the Ncr 350 climbing performance it’s much like the climb switch on the db air still a bit of movement for traction but not enough to upset the climbing. I quite like it never been a fan of complete lockout fork.

PJM1974

Too pricey for me hora thanks. The 34 CTDs are tempting though, mind CRC have them brand new for £430.

That’s because no bugger wants them. From what I’ve heard from people who’ve ridden them, the damping is comparatively poor, they’re not as stiff as Pikes, they’re not all that light and they’re hardly fit and forget. Apparently there is a damper mod for them that addresses one of these issues and turns them into a respectable fork, but for the price Fox wants for them they’re well wide of the mark, even at £430 they’re knocking on the door of discounted Pike territory before you factor in any damping upgrade.

I’ve not tried the 350CR but I have owned a set of 55CRs. They were very good for the price, if a little basic in terms of adjustment. I found them to be a tad wallowy and dive-prone straight out of the box, I had to prop up the front with more pressure than I liked until I added some oil to the air spring cartridge. With a little fettling you could end up with a very nice fork, which is in keeping with Marzocchis of old. Reliability wise, it’s hard to comment with only ten months of ownership, but mine never missed a beat. After selling my AM bike, I even considered chocking them down to 130mm and putting them on the front of my Camber.

There’s a gap in the market for a budget enduro fork out there, if the 350CR is more of the same then Marzochhi could have a hit on their hands.

hora

If they are even slightly flexy its giing to open the door to wear/reliability issues too. Plus CRCs warranty no diybt will be 1yr especialky with mojos ‘did you service it daily’ get out.. A review: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/review-fox-34-talas-160-ctd-adj-fit-275-14-48084/

PJM1974

£1,020?????

Thanks…but no. Fox deserves to have Rockshox et al wipe the floor with them for that.

fr0sty125

What fork is for you now hora? You have had the Fox 34s, Marzocchi 55 CR and the Pike 😉 FOX 36 RC2?

dan11

I would go Bos. Regardless of price. They feel the best, perform the best. If not those then 36s. Pikes are just wallow and are unresponsive.

wrecker

That’s because no bugger wants them. From what I’ve heard from people who’ve ridden them, the damping is comparatively poor, they’re not as stiff as Pikes, they’re not all that light and they’re hardly fit and forget. Apparently there is a damper mod for them that addresses one of these issues and turns them into a respectable fork, but for the price Fox wants for them they’re well wide of the mark, even at £430 they’re knocking on the door of discounted Pike territory before you factor in any damping upgrade.

Yeah, that’s the bastard. The 2014s are supposed to be a marked improvement over the 2013s, but still not great. My worry is that after riding my 36 RC2s for so long, pretty much anything cheaper than £1k is going to feel a bit crap.
    The marz parts are even more expensive than the fox stuff. £50 for SKF seals?
    I’m no closer to a decision now than when the thread started!

They feel the best, perform the best. If not those then 36s.

Thanks Dan, but that’s really not helpful. Telling wifey that I’ve smashed £1200 odd on a fork becase someone on STW told me to would likely result in removal of privileges. BOS are nice, but not that nice.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘RS Pike, anything else?’ is closed to new replies.