Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • RS Monarch Debonair air… weird one, wouldn’t extend
  • weeksy

Had an issue this morning, my rear on the G-160 felt too squat. I then noticed even when just at it’s own weight it was 40% + on sag, with me on there it was 60% or more.

Checked the pressure and still had 210psi in there, so should have been OK.

WHen i let let all the pressure out it was unable to extend. I could pull it out about 25% max.

So i wipped the big O-ring off (after dropping the pressure out of course) and got a decent ‘whoosh’ when i removed the air can outer. THen all was good.

Pumped it back up and all seems fine now…

Just one of those things ?

submarined
    Free Member

Welcome to the world of Monarchs.
    My mate’s did similar. Twice. But his didn’t return. I think the third warranty replacement is reasonably stable at the moment.
    I think yours sounds more like gunk in the transfer port though tbh

dc1988

Probably just an issue with the negative air spring not equalising properly

weeksy

YEah hmmmm

I went outside and it did the same again…

Holding pressure but won’t rebound, then eventually after a minute it just squats completely.

weeksy

Had a chat with TFTuned who were exceptionally helpful, however it seems it’s 90% likely it’s one of a couple of issues that actually end up being more expensive that replacing the shock with a new one.

So all in all, a bit daft and pointless.

So with that in mind, this is now winging it’s way over from Germany.

submarined
    Free Member

Is it too late to cancel? Unless it was very cheap…
    If be looking seriously at a Suntour TriAir if on a budget
    I’ve got a DVO Topaz, which is suspiciously similar in many ways, and I’m seriously impressed by it. Every Monarch I’ve ever ridden feels a bit wooden tbh.

Jamze

How long have you had the G-160? Mine did the same, Whyte replaced the Monarch with a Plus for free.

weeksy

I bought it used, so no-go there.

I’m confused how to the the ‘yoke’ off the bottom of the shock though.

Shock is on the table, but i don’t want to start smacking things 😀

weeksy

pass extension bar through the 2 holes

Gently persuade with rubber mallet.

weeksy

Is it too late to cancel?

It’s too late now, it’s shipped.

mudmonster
    Free Member

Same happened to me last year when I had a weekend planned in Afan with some mates. I pulled off the sleeve where the travel reducing bands go but couldn’t get into the rest of the shock so put the sleeve back on. Think I must have blocked the transfer port, I was being careful not to get grease near it. Serviced Fox shocks in the past with no problems. On the trail the shock just slowly sank through it’s travel and didn’t rebound. Had to sit out the first day and second day hired a bike that I kept hitting me knees on the top tube and the dropper hardly worked. So frustrating.
    Sent it off to get a proper service and it’s been good since then.

weeksy

Y:eah TFTuned said “maybe… tough to say” feeling was, if it’s just seals etc, it’s £100 give or take… but if anything more, then either the parts can’t be found or they’re more than the value of the shock to replace. Added to the fact they’re currently booking for the 2nd Dec… So that simply wasn’t an option for me to wait that long. I did think about a cheap Ebay shock in the short term, but bit the bullet and went for the RC3+ in the end.

joebristol

Bikester often don’t deliver particularly quickly just to warn you. Took over 2 weeks to get some tubeless tape and a cable kit that they listed as being in stock. Dpd are normally really efficient but it sat with them in Germany (or wherever Bikester are based) for days and days. It wasn’t clear but maybe they were waiting for the items from Bikester.

That Suntour Triair looked pretty interesting in the review I saw of it. Don’t think it’s got an lsc adjustment thought which if I were changing shock I’d be wanting.

weeksy

the Triair was also in Germany, so i think i’m in the hole with the Germans either way.

weeksy

New shock arrives tomorrow, which you can’t argue with that for service from Germany 🙂

I do have a question about bands/spacers though guys.

On the air can chamber there’s a ‘split’ with a large ridge, does that split between the positive and negative chambers? So if that’s the case, do i just need to put the bends in 1 half, not both ?

Do i need to rotate them so they’re not covering that little hole or does that not matter ?

weeksy

SO this is the separator between positive and negative air chambers it seems, i just need to work out which is which and which one i want how many bands in 🙂

BAsic and strange colours, but shows the answer well

joebristol

If it’s like the deluxe with a Megneg you out the bands between the 2 ridges – up to 4. The less you have in, the bigger the negative air chamber is. There is a hole (or maybe 2) you have to avoid putting the bands over.

I found getting the megneg can off after I’d used the shock for a while quite hard due to it being sucked on. I’d assume the older style shock you’ve gone for is similar.

benpinnick

In theory/according to the manual you can only put bands (up to 9) in the positive side (The bigger side), but in reality you can do both if you so desire.

weeksy

Thanks fellas, I’ll see what the Shockwiz reports after testing. Will hopefully arrive early enough in the day to give me time to fit and test in morning.

weeksy

Shock arrived in great time from Germany.

Came with mounting hardware in both ends, but i only needed the top set. So pressed out the bottom hardware/bushing

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2k8fGeU]2020-11-19_05-30-45[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Then a quick fitting of the G-160 yoke
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2k8bmE7]2020-11-19_05-30-34[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Then shock in.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2k8fag5]2020-11-19_05-30-21[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Problem now is that i either need a shock without an external reservoir or i need a lower mounting process for the water bottle. I’ve got a side mount bottle cage but the 500ml bottle is too large… So maybe a smaller one… or maybe a lower mount?

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Topeak-Alt-Postion-Cage-Mounts_127676.htm?sku=502537&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAzNj9BRBDEiwAPsL0d8Uim-l5XqgnBB44w-_e1JAWMFnvquZYydB9pxpp7WcCt-eEiuxXdhoCUp4QAvD_BwE

robbo1234biking

I have one of those topeak things on my hard tail so I can get a 750ml bottle in. They work well.

weeksy

Cheers Robbo, it’s on the way

lawman91

Had the same issue with my T130 when I had the normal Monarch replaced under warranty with a Plus, sadly I couldn’t mine any lower as an adaptor wouldn’t have helped, so was stuck with a 600ml rather than 750ml bottle. Did you check the tune was the same from one to the next? I got sent a slightly firmer tune to stock and even though theoretically the Plus should have felt a little plusher, it felt a fair bit firmer.

weeksy

Shockwiz was fitted. Put up to the right sort of pressure and went for a play in the woods.

Instantly jumped off the bike and set the rebound with a LOT of tortoise. I had 18 clicks of rebound to maximum hare, stuck it in the middle of that, so 9 clicks of tortoise 🙂 Felt miles better straight away.

Then played in the woods on the jumps for a while to dial it in.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2k8teRn]G160rc3+[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

weeksy

Did you check the tune was the same from one to the next? I got sent a slightly firmer tune to stock and even though theoretically the Plus should have felt a little plusher, it felt a fair bit firmer.

I must admit i didn’t… but i don’t think i’m a good enough rider for it to matter if i’m honest.

stevextc
    Free Member

I must admit i didn’t… but i don’t think i’m a good enough rider for it to matter if i’m honest.

there was a big difference on my T-130 from ML to ML3…. despite the ML3 being the more basic shock.

lawman91

As Steve said, makes a difference regardless of level, I’m no pro by any stretch and it tallies with your shockwiz too, as it says you need to make the compression a little softer, which makes sense as the shock likely has a harder tune as above.

weeksy

Not sure apart from pressure i can do that… Although i’ve not looked into all the settings on it yet.

I assume compression is only air pressure ?

lawman91

Nope, compression is controlled by oil flow through the shim stacks, you can technically adjust the low-speed compression, but it is just the 3-position “lockout” switch. A shock can have different tunes, the Whyte’s have a really light tune to give them a plusher feel, so a regular tune from another bike, as the new shock you have will be, will feel firmer. You can get around it a bit by running lower pressure, but it’s a compromise and not ideal.

weeksy

OK, that’s interesting… I guess i’ll be running it like it is then 🙂

The shock i bought seems to be Tune M/L3

stevextc
    Free Member

The shock i bought seems to be Tune M/L3

Unless things changed that should be the correct tune … the ML3 I got came off a G-160 or similar.

weeksy

Excellent bit of luck then. As long as the world plays nice, i’ll be taking it for some fun with WCA at Southampton Bike park tomorrow 🙂

weeksy

So the bottle cage relocator doesn’t quite work. Even my Decathlon bottles at 500mm at too big.

Evans have some 400ml Hoy bottles in that may work, but not sure.

I’ve tried 3 different cages and 4 different bottles and we’re still not there.

I thought about the Fidlock one but the bit that sits on the downtube seems bulky which i think will push it up too high still.

Struggling for ideas now.

weeksy

Well that didn’t exactly go well. Out today and same issue with the new shock

This one is the Monarch plus RC3 this time. Was bought new from Germany so have pinged them a message but think I’ll be going more for a different shock even if they want this back etc.

So my options, 216*63 and ideally without external reservoir as it makes bottle cage crazy hard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SR-Suntour-Rear-shock-RS17-DUAIR-RC-216-x-63mm/313416237534?hash=item48f91041de:g:McQAAOSwqNBgJfZo

This Suntour is looking like the likely option?

There’s also this refurbished Fox, but does that bring us issues with the top mount.

igm

Daft question but if you’d mounted the shock the other way round with the air can on the yoke would that have put the external reservoir in the space above the bottle instead of in front of it?

Might be a moot point, might give you other options on shocks.

weeksy

Don’t think it’s actually possible matey… the shaft at the bottom goes into that Yoke further than it would be possible at the top end.

weeksy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114670157768?ul_noapp=true

So i’ve got an option of this for the short term solution anyway.

Fox RP23 Rear shock Boost Valve

Fox RP23 with boost valve and extra volume air can 216 x 63

Now i recall back when i was thinking about a DPX2 that the G160 frame may need a slight modification, but never really looked into what and why and how, but now i’m thinking that moving away from the Monarchs may be the best option, so maybe it’s better to suck it up and if it needs something altering, then just do it. But wouldn’t mind some pointers please.

timbog160

Sorry Weeksy I’ve been racking my brains on this as I did a lot of research when I had my 160, since as you say shock fitting is a bit fiddly. But I sold it over 2 years ago now and the old grey matter is not what it was!!

weeksy

No worries matey. I’ve ordered that rp23 as a short term fix while I have a bit of a dance about with the German retailer and/or SRAM regarding warranty. But if the rp23 fits fine I expect I’ll simply leave it on and either see if Germany give me a refund or flog it when repaired/replaced.

I’ve seen a couple of coils, would be ace if I can find out more on which coils fit and what modification needed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘RS Monarch Debonair air… weird one, wouldn’t extend’ is closed to new replies.