Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • RRP Bolt On or Mudhugger front guard
  • stayhigh

Morning all,

How do people find either of these guards? Really like that the RRP has no straps/cable ties to rub the fork legs and crown. Anyone had any trouble with it breaking at the join?

mashr

I would remove Mudhugger from your list regardless and make it Bolt On versus normal RRP ProGuard, as the RRP definitely has better coverage than the Mudhugger (i have both).

If I could I would always get a bolt on version, can’t see them not helping out if it somehow failed

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Basically what he said, the Mudhuggers are shyte compared to the RRP guards.

I’ve just ordered a bolt on one to ditch the cable ties. In terms of what it does, no complaints at all.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

The zip tie ones are only good if you never want to put your bike in the car, if you do then its a right pain…..

I used to use the powa-defender for that reason, quick and easy to put on/take off to load into the car. Unfortunately, that doesnt work on the fork/tyre combo I have now as it rubs (2.5 minion 29, boost 36’s)

I have the small syncros bolt on, but had the first run out with the RRP bolt on this weekend.
    Does the job as well as you could expect/want, its just a shame it requires faafing with two small bots that require allen/torx keys, less convenient that the powa-defender, but better than zip ties.

rhayter

I’ve got the RRP Bolt-on mini. Fits easily, protects seals well (unlike that Synscos mud guard) and just works. Not cheap, but worth it.

fathomer

I have a Mudhugger on the hardtail and an RRP on the full sus. As has already been said, the RRP is the better guard. Mine are both cable tie jobbies but I’d replace both for the bolt on RRP if I could (Rockshox forks unfortunately).

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

you would have thought that nearly everyone runs at least a small guard, even just for stones and minor bits in the summer, and not just in the UK, nearly everyone on the EWS, that the fork makers would bring out a better integrated design by now, there’s DVO with the small bolt on option, but it seems like an easy win for RS or Fox to come out with a proper propriety solution

davosaurusrex

Would likely also go for the RRP Bolt On but as above RockShox forks. I have the Mudhugger and it’s OK but not the best. However, one mate has the RRP long and another has the Crud XL and it’s the XL that has the best coverage going on back to back testing as we all have the same bikes. Ugly as sin but I have just ordered the XL and a 29er Mudhugger for the back as I have been head to toe covered the last few rides whereas mate with that setup has a bit of light splatter. I can’t be dealing with so much cleaning of gear anymore and at least most of the riding at this time of year is in the dark!

Crud XL is also easily removable with O-ring fixings for putting in the car (so I’m told, not tried it)

stayhigh

Cool, my thinking was the bolt on looked a better option just wanted some real world feedback before buying. Going on a boost Fox 34 140mm.

russyh
    Free Member

Another vote for the bolt on RRP. Much, much better than the Mudhugger guard which I have fitted to my hardtail both in terms of coverage, fitment and overall quality!  I’m super chuffed with mine…plus it came with Kashima Allen keys.  So definitely worth the money 😂

ta11pau1

Bolt on RRP all the way.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Always rated my mudhugger fr but ordered a bolt on Friday so I could ditch the tie wraps. Reassuring to read the comments on this thread.

stayhigh

Has anyone gone with the mini guard and regretted it?

@ta11pau1
    is yours the standard?

ta11pau1

Yeah mine is the standard, barely any mud on my face and none on my glasses with it, even rode with no glasses for a couple of hours in the mud, no issue.

russyh
    Free Member

I have the mini, wouldn’t swap for a large.  Think it’s just about perfect I have ridden in some proper South Wales much over the last few weeks and it’s spot on!

branes

Echoing the comments here and adding a data point – I’ve got the short bolt on RRP on a Fox 32 SC – bit tighter on a step cast than a bigger fork of course, but all good so far.

stayhigh

What size wheels are you using the mini on? Wondering if it makes any difference between 27.5 & 29?
    Will be using on 29 myself.

@russyh
    that is some impressive mud you got going n there!

russyh
    Free Member

Running 27.5, couple of the lads run them on 29ers though and equally as chuffed with theirs…as for mud, been riding off piste in South Wales!  I believe it’s called welsh gold..or something like that!

ta11pau1

This is what mine looked like after a 12 mide ride. Zero dirt spots on the glasses. Mine is a 29er.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

My mini bolt on arrived today 🙂

It’s a couple of inches longer than the mudhugger fr it replaces. Fits well on my 29” 36s and really well made.

Wipes the floor with that syncros pile of shit I tried when they came out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like the idea of this bolt on for my Fox 34 boost. Has anyone depressurised their fork to check clearance at bottom out yet? I saw one of the pre production versions but this aspect hadn’t been sorted properly at that point.

russyh
    Free Member

I’m not sure why fork bottoming out would have any effect on the mudguard?? It doesn’t move! Or am I missing the point here??

Onzadog
    Free Member

At full compression, the crown comes down below the arch. If the guard is tight up under the arch, the crown will clash with it. The guard needs to be spaced off the arch a little.

DT78
    Free Member

What options are there for a bolt on to a RS SID then?
    Are there any?

mashr

Nope, no RS options at all

russyh
    Free Member

Onza, I’ll check later for you.  But they have run loss of prototypes over a prolonged testing period.  I had a very near OTB this weekend with mine fitted so I’m pretty certain as a result I would’ve used all of my available travel.  Also it fits the same as other mudguards just bolted rather than cable tie so Think its a moot point

DT78
    Free Member

Nope, no RS options at all

bugger that will be why I can’t find any only google then

Onzadog
    Free Member

russyh

Subscriber
    Onza, I’ll check later for you. But they have run loss of prototypes over a prolonged testing period. I had a very near OTB this weekend with mine fitted so I’m pretty certain as a result I would’ve used all of my available travel. Also it fits the same as other mudguards just bolted rather than cable tie so Think its a moot point

I needed to make some packing spacers for me Fox 34 boost because of this.

stayhigh

@onzadog Have the same fork here. Have you got any pics of what you’ve done please?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ll see if I can get some later but it was just a few strips of self amalgamating tape with a wrap of tape over the top. Only about 5 of 6 mm.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve had the standard size RRP Bolt-On Proguard for around 6 weeks now, used with Fox 34’s. It’s a big improvement on the other front guards i’ve used in the past. I’d definitely recommend it.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘RRP Bolt On or Mudhugger front guard’ is closed to new replies.