Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Royals in the Forces – a liabilty?
  • csb

The BBC just reported on the Camp Bastion attack. Apparently during the attack Harry was taken away to a secure location. What a waste of resources. Are royals in the forces because it’s something for them to do where they can be figureheads and where they can be specially protected?

Liftman

They are just putting our boys at more risk

julianwilson
    Free Member

mmmmm, shortbread anyone? 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    spchantler
    Free Member

wrong title, should be “royals, a liability?”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Julian, is it Duchy Originals Lemon shortbread? If so, count me in! 😉

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Our Boys?

mu3266
    Free Member

Seeing as they will be Heads of the Armed Forces, surely it is in all our interests that they have the experience of what they are to lead.

Look at it another way, would you have a social worker running an accountancy firm? (the UK government treasury notwithstanding)

julianwilson
    Free Member

Flashy, I had Prince Charles dust off the Wessex and chopper me some in last week. 😀

(*ponders… does he own or get a cut from Duchy Originals stuff?)

Mikkel
    Free Member

should have put him in that fancy heli, to stop the attack

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

cheekyboy – Member

Our Boys?

Indeed, well spotted cheekyboy…….”Our Boys” should always be written starting with capitals.

Shame on you Liftman 😐

scraprider
    Free Member

our royals have gone to war and to fight for hundreds of years this is no different, imo there should be a news black out now that he is serving.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

imo there should be a news black out now that he is serving.

They’ve tried that before and it didn’t work :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1580111/How-the-Prince-Harry-blackout-was-broken.html

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

What a waste of resources.

30k personnel – I’m sure they could spare a couple to man a sangar.

Are royals in the forces because it’s something for them to do where they can be figureheads and where they can be specially protected?

Like Andrew had his own Exocet proof ship in the Falklands?

And lets not forget her Maj:

Riksbar

Out of interest, can anyone think of another western country with close relatives (children, grandchildren ) of the head of state actually serving in the various wars we’ve thrown? Most seem to be going the classic pampered rich kid route, but I may be mistaken.

AlasdairMc

Not that I’ve had any Forces experience whatsoever, but what is the general view of the troops out there? Would they much rather have a royal family completely removed from the military or one prepared to risk their neck for gran and country?

mu3266
    Free Member

More than pleased to have some of the Royalty in Afghanistan with us. Its a damn sight more than I’ve seen any politician do.

andyl
    Free Member

If we keep him locked up surrounded in cotton wool back on UK soil people will criticise.

If he goes out and actually plays a role then people will criticise.

When he is out in his Apache he could get a mechanical failure or shot down and I am sure he accepts that risk. But when there is a ‘minor’ assault on the base that will be dealt with easily it would be silly to risk a ‘lucky shot’.

fair play to him I say and it’s obvious they all stand by him and him them.

CountZero

He wasn’t treated any different to any of the other Apache pilots and aircrew. There is a huge amount of money spent training them, a massive investment in time as well, and Harry is considered to be as good a gunny and co-pilot as there is. None of the other crew members were treated any differently, they were all removed to secure locations to protect them.
    But of course, it’s suits certain groups and sections of the media to only highlight the fact that Harry was taken to a secure area. Republican bullshit, frankly.

MSP

but what is the general view of the troops out there?

The troops are fed whatever message is required to keep them doing what they are told to do.

willard

That’s the cynical view.

He’s a professional soldier and is doing the job that he has trained to do. That’s no different from any other person out there.

renton
    Free Member

On the night it happened we were a bit pissed off to be honest as the Taliban or whichever group it was that attacked have basically said they will try and capture or kill him.

We had rounds going through our hangar that night, pretty lairy stuff I can tell you!! I guess the Army lads are used to gunfire but us fat airforce techies were shitting ourselves !!

mt
    Free Member

renton – 😆

Junkyard
    Free Member

None of the other crew members were treated any differently, they were all removed to secure locations to protect them.

source?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Royals in the Forces – a liabilty?’ is closed to new replies.