Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Royal family civil list to be capped at £26k…
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Yes, it is. If entertainment value is the metric for measuring effectiveness of Civil List recipients, there are far better performers than the Royal Family

No it isn’t….

How many people would line the streets for Posh’s marriage? Or death? People across all areas of life care about them to an incredible degree. I find it crazy but am happy for them.

konabunny
    Free Member

Of course, Jade wasn’t in showbiz for as long as the Royals have been.

Is it the role of the state to provide light entertainment for its citizens?

mudshark
    Free Member

Now your just being silly. I don’t know much about her though she died from cancer so is that why her death was so popular? We don’t need to pay celebs directly which is kind of the point. Having a Royal Family means certain things including paying them for their efforts. I daresay they’d be happy to disappear from public life and enjoy their wealth privately but they understand the role they play and see their obligations. Not entirely sure about some of the minor ones but still.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

How many people would line the streets for Posh’s marriage? Or death?

I’d get out my dancing shoes – oh hang on, that’s a different thread isn’t it?

konabunny
    Free Member

We don’t need to pay celebs directly which is kind of the point.

Oh, well in that case, that’s great news. If celeb entertainment is free and Royal entertainment is costly, and if entertainment value is the best argument, then we can just abolish the hereditary monarchy and appoint celebs as monarchs as required.

Too bad we didn’t think of this twenty years ago – we could have had the Two Ronnies as joint monarch and they were practically on the Civil List during their Beeb years – after all, it was obvious

how much happiness they brought to so many people

Northwind

There’s definately a case to be made for keeping a core of royals and royal activity (whether it makes financial sense or not I don’t know, but it seems reasonable that it might)

But to be frank, the cost of the royal family to us as taxpayers is surprisingly small, stopping that funding wouldn’t make any significant difference to public finances. For that you’d need a land grab and asset strip and that’s not an easy sell.

Lifer
    Free Member

and enjoy their wealth privately

How exactly have they made their wealth?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IIRC only a couple of generations ago the royal family were skint – exemptions from tax allowed them to amass a fortune.

Most of what is sometimes consider their wealth they cannot actually sell or realise tho

konabunny
    Free Member

the cost of the royal family to us as taxpayers is surprisingly small, stopping that funding wouldn’t make any significant difference to public finances

In that case, we can have Posh & Becks on the Civil List as well. It’s no significant difference, after all. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Royal family civil list to be capped at £26k…’ is closed to new replies.