Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rowingtrackworld: Concept2 HRM and intervals.
  • geomickb
    Free Member

Hey,

I’m thinking of doing some interval training on a Concept2, does anyone do this? Any advice/plans.

Does anyone link a HRM? I was thinking of doing this and wondered if I should get a Wahoo one because I’m planning to get a Bolt in the future.

Cheers,

Mick

chrisdb
    Free Member

I started rowing a few months back and it is definitely a positive for my fitness on the bike. HRM is really useful when rowing, I have a Polar H10 which also syncs with my Garmin.

There are loads of different plans around with a bit of googling. I like this guy on instagram https://www.instagram.com/FMRowing/

The problem with rowing is that it gets pretty boring pretty quickly so to combat this you need to vary your sessions as much as possible and I watch Netflix on an iPad velcro’d to the machine.

Remember to always warm up and down – 1k at an easy ish pace is a good start. When you start off do a 2k at max effort and note your times. Do this every few weeks and it gives a good indication of improvements in fitness and/or technique.

Kahurangi

As an ex water-rower (as in I used to row, on the water) I have spent many, many hours on a Concept2, with nothing but a mix-tape to entertain me. An hour solid on the C2, I’d maybe break it up with a stretch.

I used to warm up and down with an in-boat routine, building the stroke up and down, bringing in the different parts of the stroke.

Lots and lot of stretching.

I don’t really miss it, I don’t have the willpower to do that any more.

I do miss being that fit. It was amazing.

Anyway, doing intervals is a great way to build up fitness. Like incredibly effective and efficient. Problem is, (and I assume it’s similar for doing intervals on the bike*) that you have to be incredibly motivated to put enough in to make it worthwhile. Having a coach or instructor yelling at you, or a group, is really good for your work rate.

* I don’t do training on the bike, I wouldn’t know

monkfish
    Free Member

google the Pete plan. You may get pet plan insurance as your first hit though.

Have a look through his Pete plan and beginner plans. I followed this for a while and I’d liken it to a Sufferfest video. Gets you fit quick.

C2 forums are a useful resource as well.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Pete plan

The Pete plan linked above is worth looking at. I follow a lighter version of it when I’m away with work by stripping it to 3 sessions a week. The intervals + an 8k.

You could do that or cherry pick the intervals. 8 X 500m with 3.5 min rest is my favourite. It’s gets pretty challenging if you follow the protocol suggested to keep increasing your pace. But you’ll supercharge your fitness.

No HRM required.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Would also say that if you’re new to rowing spend a few weeks just doing straight rows to suss the technique and build some basic fitness up.

Albanach
    Free Member

I don’t follow any online plans but do intervals on a Concept 2 3 times a week and vary it between
    20 reps x 20secs on 20secs off
    20secs/10secs x 8 reps x 2-3 sets
    30secs/20secs x 8-10 reps x 2 sets
    1000m – 1 or 2 min rest…750m – same rest…500m – same rest…250m – same rest…750m – dead!
    Don’t use a heart rate monitor.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Question please rowers

Do you have to use a Concept 2 ?

They seem to hold their price second hand, for good reason probably, but what other quality rowers can be picked up second hand at cheaper prices ??

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

You need a concept 2 really. Much better in my opinion. Cheaper ones are a false economy.

poolman
    Free Member

I had a chat with my Dr today who also happens to win lots of rowing comps, like real water ones. Anyway, I get bored with my straight 2k in 10 mins warm up so he told me to get into hi resistance interval training.

So 250m at no 10, rest, repeat. I ll give it a go tomorrow. I find gym rowing boring…i can get my rhythm on the stepper and could do it all day, the rowing is tough. I watched all the yt vids re technique too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Check out Training Tall on Youtube. He has some helpful videos for beginners, advice on best technique etc. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6k6vvs0mc25M4Ximk6S0xg

I usually have a HRM for on the rowing machine at the gym. I can’t be bothered pairing it with the machine each time, so it is just connected to my Garmin watch. So I can still analyse the data afterwards if I want.

rascott
    Free Member

Poolman – rowing hard on damper 10 with bad technique is a quick route to knackering your back. Yes there is value in drag spectrum workouts (see Eric Murray’s stuff on Youtube) but you really want to be aiming for around 4 or 5 on a clean and well maintained Concept 2. On mine this is a drag factor of around 120 which I nudge up and down to taste.

In the current lockdown I am doing serious metres on my erg.

seadog101

Just sticking my oar in… (boom tishhh).

I use the C2 in the gym at work, a variety of routines, sometimes int’s, some long row.

Intervals to help build my strength and improve technique, as you can focus for short bursts and then recover before your technique falls apart as you tire out.

Long row, up to 10,000m, I like more as challenge and a measure of how fit I am.

Using a HRM is a plus. Sometimes I row to my HR, and not a pace.
    As for high resistance? it’s like riding your bike on top gear all the time, you go faster, but it’s harder work. Find a balance that works for you so that you feel most efficient.

At home I have a WaterRower WaterRower. Looks more like a piece of furniture, being made of lovely wood. Is a lot quiter than a C2, and has, apparently, a feel more like a proper boat (according to daughter who is womens captain of her college rowing club). Not so swanky in terms of monitor and data, but a much smoother steadier feel. I have to focus on technique more, as it tires me out quicker than a C2.

seadog101

As for the quality of C2 vs price, you certainly get the bang for your buck. Cheaper ones are just awful.

They hold their value as they are bombproof, and easily fixable if, rarely, something goes wrong.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m currently working my way through the Pete Plan on my C2 …. not sure I need to do the whole thing as it’s not what I’m aiming for.
    I’ve had the rower for about 7 years (bought used) and I’m not sure it’s dropped in value in that time.
    It’s set up in my office along with some serious sounds and a TV to try and stop the boredom, but I can do 30 mins without it getting too tedious, although I’m concentrating on keeping my heart inside my body most of the time!
    I use the C2 ergdata app linked to the router to collect data which then gets uploaded to Strava and the C2 logbook.
    Been trying to get my wahoo HRM to work with ergdata but it’s proving very elusive…. Might be best if I doubt know how fast it’s going though!!

poolman
    Free Member

Hi rascot ok thanks brilliant advice. Seems ages since I was at the gym, will lower damper setting. Well done training at home….wish I had a stepper here now.

seadog101

@sharkbait – I use a Wahoo HRM and connect it to the C2 monitor with ANT+, rather than to the phone with Bluetooth when using the ErgData app. seems to be fine for me.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I only have the PM3 though Seadog – doesn’t have bluetooth (I connect my phone with a USB cable for Ergdata).
    I guess you have the BT enabled PM5.

wardee
    Free Member

Concept 2 rowers looking a bit pricey at the moment. Factory is on shut down and second hand units are going for twice the retail price on Ebay.

Are cheaper models really that bad?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rowingtrackworld: Concept2 HRM and intervals.’ is closed to new replies.